Horn players: Do you like it hot?

Looking to pick up some new talent? Wanting to form or join a band? It all starts here.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Bjart Sod
Regular
Regular

Horn players: Do you like it hot?

Post by Bjart Sod »

It seems like I post something like this every couple of years, but here we go again! [Edit: And now I'll just update this one, since it's the same project.]

Hi, we're The End Times Spasm Band. You can find us by clicking here and navigating from there to videos, our Facebook page, etc.

Right now, we're looking for trumpet, clarinet, or violin to help us complete our sound.

You don't need to play as fast as Charlie Parker to fit in, but improvisation skills and some basic knowledge of harmony are a must. So long as you have good tone and intonation on your instrument, we can arrange around our collective shortcomings. We'll do some arranging of parts as a group, but you need to understand your instrument and be self-motivated when it comes to increasing your musical vocabulary.

We will be gigging heavily and fully intend to take the act on the road next spring and summer during IPFW breaks.

Here are some links that demonstrate our influences and the sound we want to work toward (while still doing our own thing): Jelly Roll Morton, Louis, Billie and Louis, Kid Ory, Dixieland Jug Blowers, Original Memphis Melody Boys, Jabbo Smith, Bix Beiderbecke, Sidney Bechet, Joe Venuti and Eddie Lang, Red Nichols and Joe Venuti, Bessie Smith, Django, Ella and Stuff Smith, Cab Calloway, Milton Brown, Bob Wills, More Bob, Squirrel Nut Zippers with Andrew Bird, Hugh Laurie?
Last edited by Bjart Sod on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
[i]Bound his hands, slit his throat
Three Masons stole his life away
And dumped him in the cold Ontario[/i]
jschall84
Regular
Regular

Post by jschall84 »

damn, im an upright bass player thats lookin for some swing..
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

This sounds like a lot of fun. Once you get things rolling get in touch, maybe we could split a bill sometime. We do some swing but we also get into a lot of other sounds from the era. Check us out at-
http://www.myspace.com/rhapsodyinwax . Good luck!
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

I can swing like a gate... how come I didn't see this before I started working on this duo thing?

Sounds like fun.
Bjart Sod
Regular
Regular

Post by Bjart Sod »

Hutnick, did I see your uke player out on the streets of Bloomington during Lotus Fest? If so, he did a nice version of Minnie the Moocher.

Thanks for the encouraging words folks. I'll let you all know how things go once we get started.

(And it's amazing how all the upright players always come out of the woodwork after you've found one you can work with.)
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Mark Turney? Yeah, that was probably him.
Bjart Sod
Regular
Regular

Post by Bjart Sod »

Bumpity-bump-bump. Note the changes. Now auditioning for first clarinet!
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

Wonderin how this project is progressing?
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
jschall84
Regular
Regular

Post by jschall84 »

yeah you fire youre bassist yet?