Good repair shop?

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Rugg-Burns
Troll
Troll

Good repair shop?

Post by Rugg-Burns »

I transferred to Fort Wayne about six months ago and have been stuck on second shift since. I should soon be able to get on first, at which time I will be looking to start a band or get with an existing band.

I have two amp heads I need to get worked on. One is a solid state Peavey Mark IV bass head and the other is a Ampeg Portaflex tube head (around a1963 I think). I was wondering where a good place might be to have the repairs done.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Rugg
lbanks
Regular
Regular

Post by lbanks »

Be vwery careful. I took a amp to local music store for repair and haven't seen it in 3-4 years! I ship my amps off for repair since I heard the local store use the same guy that has my amp.
What!
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Go to Fort Wayne Guitar Exchange and talk to Travis Brown. He'll steer you in the right direction. I'm not a classic tube amp guy, so I never have to worry about, but Travis will know who to get you in touch with.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
beck
Regular
Regular

Post by beck »

Go to Fort Wayne Guitar Exchange and talk to Travis Brown. He'll steer you in the right direction. I'm not a classic tube amp guy, so I never have to worry about, but Travis will know who to get you in touch with.
lbanks
Regular
Regular

Post by lbanks »

Umm...
What!
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

Go to TriState Music...check with Clark there. His brother-in-law did some work for me on a solid state Peavey and a tube Peavey..excellent work and very reasonable and had them back within 10 working days.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

No disrespect intended to Recordstar, but do NOT take anything to TriState Music for repair. There's a reason why you never hear them mentioned on this forum or anywhere, and their inexcusably bad service is chief among them.

They almost lost one of their lines over a repair dispute with me. I ended up talking repeatedly with the Vice-President of North American operations for the company in question, and they actually ended up training and certifying another Fort Wayne electronics technician as an Authorized Repair Center for their products just to get my digital piano fixed under warranty, because TriState couldn't (or, more precisely, simply wouldn't) do it. I wouldn't trust those guys to change a lightbulb.

lbanks... somebody has had your amp for 3 to 4 YEARS? I mean... why don't you go get the damn thing?
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

Evidently your dispute originated with warranty service. Mine wasn't. Mike has always been reputable with me in my limited dealings with TriState. His brother-in-law did excellent work, in a timely manner at a reasonable cost. While their merchandise pricing is a little "steep" the repair rate was acceptable. I have had as much trouble as any musician in the business with warranty and non-warranty work. You have to be selective who you go to, TriState, Sweetwater...etc...caveat emptor.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Doesn't matter whether it was warranty work or not. Here's what they did:

Over and over again they took the defective piano from my home, dragged it back to their shop in Ohio, and let it sit in a back room for three days untouched. Then they'd turn it on, play it, say, "I don't hear any problem" and bring it back, each time LYING to me that they had given it to their Authorized Repairman and he had "checked it out."

Know how I caught 'em? I finally called the manufacturer and found that even though TriState had taken the piano no less than FOUR TIMES, they had NEVER filed a warranty claim on the unit.

They came very close to losing that line over this dispute, and the guy that Technics/Panasonic authorized to fix the piano found the problem in five minutes, and fixed it in my home in another 20.

So, there you go.... warranty work or not, the management of TriState Music is not trustworthy. To put it in the simplest terms, they do not do what they say they will do.
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Steel String Bender »

Brookmill Television on Industrial Road performed warranty repair service on my Vox guitar amp in December. They did a decent job.

However, if my Dr. Z Prescription ES amp ever requires repair, it's going straight back to the builder for the work. I don't trust anyone, (and I mean anyone) around here to touch it.
lbanks
Regular
Regular

Post by lbanks »

Silencio wrote:
lbanks... somebody has had your amp for 3 to 4 YEARS? I mean... why don't you go get the damn thing?
Neither the store I took it to or the guy they sent it to claim to know where it is. They point fingers at each other. The store sez the tech has home problems and is irresponsible; the tech sez they have it and he did his job. My lawyer advises against suing because to file suit would cost more than the head, should I lose. I don't waste time get bloody over replaceables, anymore. And besides, throwing fists ain't gonna get my amp, but may get me jail time. Too old for that kind of fun. I think the repair guy sold it, because my guitarist has the same problem with an amp he took in to a different store(same repair tech),for repair.(along with a couple of other guys, I've been told) But I feel the store should have taken more positve action since I gave it to them for repair, not their tech. I just don't do business there anymore. Sweetwater may have its problems, but they haven't played these kinds of tricks... that I'm aware of. I'd say the Brookmill suggestion would be the route I'd try, if my amps needs to be repaired. I have to say, it is one reason I rarely buy local, anymore. Except for B&B.
What!
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

lbanks... man, that sucks. From the description, I think I know who is pointing the fingers, too. Here's hoping the amp in question wasn't too valuable.
lbanks
Regular
Regular

Post by lbanks »

Well, I was gonna sell it or trade for a decent drumset, but, now...
I've moved on, and I'm glad to say they missed about $7000 in business from me over the pass three years.
What!
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Have an attorney write a letter requesting that they either find your amp, replace it or pay you for it or you will "consider" filing suit. That may be all it takes to get some action.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
lbanks
Regular
Regular

Post by lbanks »

bassjones wrote:Have an attorney write a letter requesting that they either find your amp, replace it or pay you for it or you will "consider" filing suit. That may be all it takes to get some action.
Hmmm, good idea. I'll talk to her about it.
What!