What am I looking for? Help

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

employee
I Been Around
I Been Around

What am I looking for? Help

Post by employee »

Can ya'll help me out here... I'm looking for a small analog keyboard just for bass lines, I know nothing about keyboards, just I want that muddy analog jazzy bass sound, like was used back in the day, but I don't need a full keyboard just for bass lines. Putting together a folk/rock/alt band with acoustic guitar, cocktail drums and percussion, and keys doing the bass lines. What am I looking for?
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

You're looking for something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=702244

$399 at MF and GC.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Just get a bass player instead ;)
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
rezin
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal

Post by rezin »

bassjones wrote:Just get a bass player instead ;)
burn.
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

Something like an old Sequential Circuits SixTrack? I can find one. PM me
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
employee
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by employee »

After the intro the very first thing the dude plays is what I'm looking for, I'll probably never find this synth but that tone on the first thing he plays is what I'm after. What will do that, and sound that good?

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5gREuxTdvCM[/youtube]
employee
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by employee »

bassjones wrote:Just get a bass player instead ;)
I would but she can't play bass but she can play some keys, so we go that way...We know what we want it to do, just don't know what does it.. May end up with a midi keyboard and soft synth, but I'd rather have old school, ya know....
lbanks
Regular
Regular

Post by lbanks »

You could try to find one of these, on EvilBay. But, they cost...
What!
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

The MicroKorg is a synth that creates digital models of analog synths, the closest you're likely to come unless you want either:

1) to spend a pantload of bucks on a vintage analog synth

2) to own a trashed-out POS vintage analog synth that won't stay in tune.

Trust me: I was in rock bands when synths were mono-only, when Korg was a brand new company, and when the god-forsaken suitcase MiniMoog we used would fade out of tune in the middle of a song if somebody opened a door and let a cold draft in the room.

However, if you really want a vintage analog synth for cheap that won't drive you slowly insane, here's the best one from the early 70's in an eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-Univox-Analog- ... dZViewItem

This mono Korg was a real workhorse (it replaced our drive-ya-mad Moog): stayed in tune, very versatile, and awesome sounding oscillators. We never used it as a bass, but it reproduced MiniMoog sounds perfectly, including the snaky lead synth in the Turtles "You Showed Me" and the overblown portamento lead in "Lucky Man."

If I was you, I would go with the MicroKorg and learn to do some wicked cool things with the arpeggiator and vocoder stuff. But if you gotta have vintage mojo, that Korg/Univox is a good bet.
employee
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by employee »

Thanks Silencio,
I'll be heading out to Sweetwater to check out the MicroKorg this weekend. I'm sure it'll do what we need and a whole lot more, but yeah there is something to be said about that vintage mojo....
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

employee wrote:... there is something to be said about that vintage mojo....
I agree. You can jump on that Korg/Univox for cheap.

But in your group, I'll bet you'd find an arpeggiator and pitch and mod wheels to be a cool tools.

EDITED TO SAY: 5 days left in that auction and it's already almost $300. For a beat-up mono synth from 1972... and not even the really good Korg version, but the goofy Univox random-blink model.

All for some "groovy" lights. At this rate, it won't be cheap when the auction closes, but it will still be one of the most limited synthesizers ever. Vintage madness is a terrible disease.