Check out my new amp project(amp builders needed)

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Austin_Taunt
Regular
Regular

Check out my new amp project(amp builders needed)

Post by Austin_Taunt »

This was my Christmas gift from the wife. She got me a Soldano SLO 100 clone kit. Its a Weber chassis but the rest was sourced myself. I made some PCB boards and they are ready for wiring but wanted your opinion. Should I sell these and make some handwired turret boards?? Im still new to this game and dont know if I should go with what I got or make it completely handwired....may just be preference.

Here are a few pics...spent about 3 hrs so far...will post as it progresses.

Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

There's nothing wrong with the audio quality of a PCB amp: the only decent Fender in the mid-range of their line anymore (IMO, of course) is the '65 Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue, which is mostly a wave-soldered PCB, and it sounds great.

The biggest problem with PCB amps is:

Bad circuit design and/or tube sockets mounted on the PCB board. Look at Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/DeVille//DeLemon for perfect examples of boards that are born to die.

If the tube sockets on your kit are chassis-mounted (and I can see that they are), then it's probably fine.

My main studio tube amp is PTP wired, but if the same circuit was on a pCB and it used these NOS tubes, I think it would sound the same.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Heathkit
dofus hipster
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by dofus hipster »

Wow.. Most guys start with a Fender Deluxe clone or some other simple build. The SLO is not an easy amp at all. You MADE the PCB with traces and all? Nothing wrong with a good PCB amp, just needs to be well thought out, with serious support if the tubes are mounted direct. Mesa Boogie and Bogner are 2 companies that do pretty good. High gain amps need special attention as well. Layout is very important in the early gain stages.

Keep us up to date with it!
No Man Can Eat 50 eggs!
Austin_Taunt
Regular
Regular

Post by Austin_Taunt »

Someone on the SLOclone boards recomended I sell the PCBs for a nice sized profit and it would actually fund my turret board and head cabinet. I was looking at the heather kit by weber and they did some things different(relays) than an actual SLO and IMO made it more like a 5150(which is peaveys take on slo)...however you can buy a 5150 used for $600 any day of the week so it would be pointless to spend the time making webers version.

This is actually my 2nd build...I did a Champ type amp first for my dad. I also ordered a HC-30 kit from ceriatone and that will be a major challenge. I opened up my matchless and there are ALOT of wires and is a bit more difficult to keep straight.
dofus hipster
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by dofus hipster »

Ya know.. The SLO is not as bad as some. Really a ch switching problem, and lead dress. Still a bigger amp like the SLO is way more involved than the Champ/Deluxe crowd. IMHO good iron is a big part of the high end mojo. The reason a DC30 is so freaking heavy is the massive iron they use.
I actually had a prototype Clubman, but did not know it was prototype. I sold it to someone that sent it in for a check-up, and they said "Hey, This was one of the very first ones".....DOH!! One of the greatest clean tones I ever had to pleasure of owning! Matchless is much closer to real PTP than say, old Marshall's. Looks like a rats nest, but it's actually very well done...
No Man Can Eat 50 eggs!