Gentle Giant

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Gentle Giant

Post by =^-..-^= »

I have the album Octopus, which I enjoy immensely.

Now I see where Spock's Beard gets much of their influence - them and early Ambrosia.

What Gentle Giant recording should I get next?
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Their self titled debut disc has some material on it that you may enjoy.

If you haven't already, check out all of the early King Krimson albums too.
-Larks Tounges In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black etc...
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Lark's Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black should be considered late Crimson albums. Released in '73 and '74 respectively, they are much further in time from '69s In The Court Of The Crimson King than they are from the band's implosion in 1975.

No need to buy anymore Gentle Giant than Octopus. They are totally irrelevant, and that "influence" you think you hear in Ambrosia isn't there, IMO. That kind of screwing around with time was just a stock cliche of the time... the fact that Gentle Giant never learned to do anything but play in 'hard' signatures is the reason for their lack of importance: they forgot to make music while they were at it, unlike Ambrosia, who's roots were firmly planted in LA superpop.

If you dig that 70's Brit Prog, check out Gryphon, particularly Red Queen to Gryphon Three, and whack-ass German band Nektar's A Tab In The Ocean.

GJ, who was there.
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Silencio wrote:Lark's Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black should be considered late Crimson albums. Released in '73 and '74 respectively, they are much further in time from '69s In The Court Of The Crimson King than they are from the band's implosion in 1975.
Were talking about the difference of a few years here. The reason I didn't mention their first couple albums by name is because I think they suck.

And never mind anything they did in the 80's or 90's. That would be "post-late Krimson" by your estimation, right?
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Re: Gentle Giant

Post by Hutnick »

=^-..-^= wrote:What Gentle Giant recording should I get next?
If you haven't already, dig into some early Genesis albums as well.
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Re: Gentle Giant

Post by =^-..-^= »

Hutnick wrote:
If you haven't already, dig into some early Genesis albums as well.
Oh, of course!

Genesis to Revelation and Trespass are not great, but hey. Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme, Selling England, The Lamb. . . Great albums!

I even like the Phil Collins-era Genesis - up to Duke. Abacab? maybe, But after that, BLEEECCHHH!
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Hutnick wrote:
Silencio wrote:Lark's Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black should be considered late Crimson albums. Released in '73 and '74 respectively, they are much further in time from '69s In The Court Of The Crimson King than they are from the band's implosion in 1975.
Were talking about the difference of a few years here. ....
Right, the few years the band actually existed. Early Crimson is Court of the Crimson King, the band with Greg Lake in it. The albums you mentioned are just before they blew up, and can't be considered "early." That's all.

"Well, I don't count the first 700 years of human civilization as 'history,' caused I personally think it sucked." :D
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Silencio wrote:Right, the few years the band actually existed.
They sure sounded like a band when I saw them on the Thrak tour(actually two bands, but whos counting?).

No matter though. It's just different ways of looking at things.

Cheers!
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I actually prefer 80's era Crimson (Tony Levin), but what do I know. And I wish I would have seen the Thrak tour. Double Trios... Great album too. Dinosaur is a killer track.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.