Review of my mini monster bass rig - MarkBass/LDS NEO

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Review of my mini monster bass rig - MarkBass/LDS NEO

Post by bassjones »

This Image
through my custom LDS cab is unbelievable!

The cabinet is made up of 1-12" B&C NEO, 1-8" mid-driver, and 1-5.25" upper mid-driver that extends into tweeter range without the harshness that typical tweeters have in most of the consumer bass cabinets I've tried. 8 ohms, 500 watt handling capability, 42lbs. I can't seem to get a good picture of it, but it's a tiny physical footprint with a huge sonic footprint. I paid less than 75% of what I would have paid for the only comparable consumer cabinet - an Accugroove Tri-112 - and am very pleased with the results. Especially when paired with my MarkBass SA450.

The SA450 is essentially a LittleMark II with the addition of a semi-parametric high-mid and low-mid e.q.

500 watts at 4 ohms, 7.5lbs (yes, really!!) and ridiculously loud. Blows Ampeg's SVT3Pro away. Louder than Eden WT550, and dang close to the WT800.

Very punchy, yet can get warm as well. Certainly not "tubey", but it can get "old school". MarkBass does make the same amp with a preamp tube - the TA501, which I understand gets that ampeg thing happening, but again much lighter and much louder.

Guitar Center is the only US retailer for these amps, and ours doesn't have them in stock yet, but they can order it for you. If you're considering it, just do it! I can't rave about this amp enough. Blows away my old rack rig (SWR Grand Prix/QSC USA 850) at about 1/10 of the weight.

I know Teeple loves his too.

I also highly recommend having Don at Low Down Sound build cabs for you. He will do anything you want, from my little cabinet to a 6x10 Ultralight, to a big old 8x10 fridge, and they will kill the consumer offerings for a lot less money. I know Hutnick has a LDS 2x8 that he was really digging last I knew.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Here's mine. Great cabinet!
8 - 6-1/2s and 2 4-1/2s
Last edited by Hutnick on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

WOW! I need to try my SA450 through that. I thought you just got the LDS 2x8... Wonder how that would handle the low B though. I'm having him build me a 1x15 NEO (B&C again) to pair with the other cab. I'll essentially have an El Whappo Jr. with the 4.25 replacing the 2 soft dome tweeters in the Accugroove.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.