IAN MACKAYE DIES OCT. 2ND AT 45

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

SHAWN
The King of ALLCAPS-Core.

IAN MACKAYE DIES OCT. 2ND AT 45

Post by SHAWN »

Ian Thomas Garner MacKaye, April 16, 1962 - October 2, 2007), is an American singer and guitarist. Active since 1979, MacKaye is best known as the frontman of the influential hardcore punk and alternative rock bands Minor Threat, Embrace and Fugazi, and The Evens. He is a founder and owner of Dischord Records, a Washington, D.C.-based independent record label. In 1980, MacKaye co-founded Dischord Records. The label was originally meant only as a means for distributing the Teen Idles 7 inch EP, but over the years it became a very well-established independent record label, as well as a source for a variety of different Washington, D.C. area artists. Today more than 150 titles have been released by Dischord.

After feeling creatively limited in the Teen Idles, MacKaye was determined to be the frontman and primary lyricist for Minor Threat (1980-1983). MacKaye cited the dynamic performance British singer Joe Cocker in the Woodstock motion picture as a major influence on his own animated stage persona.[5] The Teen Idles and Minor Threat were modestly successful in and around Washington D.C., but would later be cited as two of the earliest and most influential hardcore punk groups, and as pioneers of the straight edge philosophy that rejects casual drinking and drug use. In his early teens, MacKaye saw the negative effects of drug and alcohol abuse on several close friends and one immediate family member, and he vowed to never use tobacco, drugs or alcohol.

After Minor Threat broke up, MacKaye was active with several relatively short-lived groups, including Embrace (1985-1986) and Egg Hunt (1986). Pailhead (1988), a collaboration between MacKaye and Al Jourgensen of the industrial band Ministry featured MacKaye on lead vocals

n 1987, MacKaye founded Fugazi. Cited as one of the most important post-hardcore groups, Fugazi were active until 2002.

He currently sings and plays baritone guitar in The Evens with the drummer and vocalist Amy Farina of the Warmers. The Evens released their self-titled album in early 2005, breaking a four-year silence by MacKaye. Their second album, "Get Evens," was released in November 2006.

Additionally, MacKaye sang lead vocals on a Government Issue demo, one track of which is featured on the 20 Years of Dischord collection. Backing vocals and collaborations -- as, for example, with brother Alec MacKaye's former band Ignition -- are numerous. MacKaye, along with guitarist Sonic Boom (formerly of Spacemen 3), co-wrote the music to the 2003 documentary The Weather Underground.

MacKaye refused to advertise in mainstream or corporate media, has rarely performed at events where admission was more than $5-$10, and consistently promoted anti-war and civil rights causes alongside his music. He regularly attended left-wing organized protests and events, working closely with the Positive Force collective in Washington D.C.[6]

MacKaye has also been known for his stance against concert violence and his confrontations with moshers, crowd surfers, and people who start fights at shows. This is especially true of his days with Fugazi. When people became rude or violent at a Fugazi show, the band would stop playing (sometimes right in the middle of a song) and MacKaye would tell them to stop. If those people continued their behavior, he would give them their money back and kick them out.[7] Because of this, MacKaye gained a reputation as a killjoy with some fans, and a misconception that he was against all dancing surfaced. MacKaye has said on numerous occasions that he has no problem with dancing but he simply does not feel comfortable letting people get hurt at his shows, and he wants to make sure everyone can have a good time.

MacKaye recently assisted in the investigation of the Kent State shootings when he helped clean up a field recording made by a Kent State student who recorded audio of the incident on a reel-to-reel tape machine from his dormitory windowsill. According to Alan Canfora, a Kent State student who was injured in the wrist that day by a gunshot, a voice can be heard on the tape yelling, "Right here! Get Set! Point! Fire!" before there is the 13-second volley of gunfire.[8][9]

Mackay passed away on the 2nd of October 2007 after being injured in a car accident.

Ian MacKaye, lead singer of influential hardcore band Minor Threat as well as Fugazi passed away today in a Baltimore hospital room. Outside a Fugazi show in New Jersey last night, the singer was struck by a car passing by the front of the Ventura Theatre. Brunswick police say that the driver allegedly stopped, but then fled the scene. There is now a police investigation underway.

Mackeye was rushed to St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore, where he was pronounced dead this morning at 6am. This is a tragedy for the underground music as a whole and we need to stand together at this time of loss.

REPOST TO PAY YOUR RESPECTS FOR MACKEYE
LEAN NOT ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING. . .
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Damn!? That really sucks. He was one of many artists that I always wanted to see, never got the chance, and now, never will. Very, very sad news.
SHAWN

Post by SHAWN »

IT WAS A HOAX.

a sick hoax.
SHAWN

Post by SHAWN »

IT WAS A HOAX.

a sick hoax.
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Really? Now I feel like a fool. I spent a good portion of the day listening to Fugazi yesterday. Oh well, I hadn't dug that music out of the collection for about 10 years. It was nice to listen back anyways.
maloley
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by maloley »

oh my this sucks iv beee a fan of minor threat/fugazi for over a decade 45 is still way too young to go!
GoDownProductions
Regular
Regular

Post by GoDownProductions »

It was a Wikipedia joke. Some douch edited it saying he died. It's fixed now.
LC Pwince
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by LC Pwince »

Hutnick wrote:Really? Now I feel like a fool. I spent a good portion of the day listening to Fugazi yesterday. Oh well, I hadn't dug that music out of the collection for about 10 years. It was nice to listen back anyways.
Don't ever feel like a fool for listening to Fugazi.
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

LC Pwince wrote:
Hutnick wrote:Really? Now I feel like a fool. I spent a good portion of the day listening to Fugazi yesterday. Oh well, I hadn't dug that music out of the collection for about 10 years. It was nice to listen back anyways.
Don't ever feel like a fool for listening to Fugazi.
Nah, I just felt like a fool for being bummed out over internet B.S.