how often do you check out local music live?

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

dofus hipster
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by dofus hipster »

3 young Kids, 4th on the way. Too many gigs with my soon to be old band. Nice job starts early. I try to see bands when I can, but it's hard, and many do not deliver making me sour on the whole effort.....Incl my current band most nights....LOL.
No Man Can Eat 50 eggs!
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

dofus hipster wrote:... and many do not deliver making me sour on the whole effort...
+1
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

Silencio wrote:
dofus hipster wrote:... and many do not deliver making me sour on the whole effort...
+1
Very True. It is hard for me being a musician to go out and see a sub par band and not pick them apart to the point where everyone around me is annoyed and cannot enjoy themselves anymore.
http://www.facebook.com/sevesd
http://www.myspace.com/sevesd
GoDownProductions
Regular
Regular

Post by GoDownProductions »

Well if you feel like supporting Fort Wayne Hip Hop Music...

http://myspace.com/fwhh :D
tiny
Regular
Regular

Post by tiny »

I seldom go out at all anymore and support local music. Sad, but true. Busy schedule...too many options.

If local music is available, I take it in, and enjoy. Corner Pocket, O's, Deer Park, Buckets, CSW (occasionally)...the part of town doesn't bother me, as I don't go out to get tanked. The TIME, and the DAY, and of course, the BAND matter, though.

Too many Thursday (or Friday, or Saturday) night 9pm shows that get started at 10:30....too many mediocre attempts at performance. Not all bands fit in either of these categories, but many do.

I realize that some bars WANT you to hold off till there's a crowd, or to try to keep the crowd there later, but I still say that's counterproductive. You can sell beer at 9pm as easily as you can at midnight. Serve cold beer and a good band early, and the crowd will be as good then as two hours later.

The fact that I have to be at work at 4am figures in to my view, but that's not the only culprit.

If you have a school night show, and it's supposed to start at nine, START AT 9. Don't show up and d*ck around till you're ready to play. Most people I've talked to, say that's the number ONE reason they don't bother to go out on school nights. I'd stay up late to see a good band....but most good bands don't keep their fans waiting for the show, either.

Start on time....treat it like a performance, not a practice. Try that, and the crowd may in fact follow.

Just my .02.
TINY....
-----------------------------------
TINY TUNES Event and Entertainment Services -Mobile Music, Pro Sound, Booking and Event Planning
tinytunesdjs.com

also occasionally on 92.3 The Fort

Still waiting on confirmation of my new Harrison Square condominium purchase.
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

With school and everything, I don't have time to see too many bands. It's not a factor of "I don't want to" but as some people say, it's tough to walk into a show and listen to the same 27 tunes all over.

Living in Huntington doesn't help things either. And having no one to go with just makes me the weird fat guy sitting in the corner of C-Street drinking a coke.

There are a few bands I would love to see, but I either find out about their shows too late or they conflict my my schedule.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Start on time....treat it like a performance, not a practice.
AMEN BROTHER! Spend about 20% of your rehearsal time working on transitioning between songs so there is almost zero dead air and bad jokes. Dead air = crowd killer. If you speak between songs, do it only occasionally and make it mean something (but don't be preachy). Make it part of the performance. Put on a good show, people will start coming out.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

bwohlgemuth wrote:With school and everything, I don't have time to see too many bands. It's not a factor of "I don't want to" but as some people say, it's tough to walk into a show and listen to the same 27 tunes all over.

Living in Huntington doesn't help things either. And having no one to go with just makes me the weird fat guy sitting in the corner of C-Street drinking a coke.

There are a few bands I would love to see, but I either find out about their shows too late or they conflict my my schedule.
Come to Mid-City tomorrow night. I guarantee you won't hear the same 27 tunes as every other bar band. Shameless self-promotion alert...
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-

www.bradjonesbass.com
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Steel String Bender »

Silencio wrote:
+1
I'm in agreement with you guys. A band I'd been playing in for three years broke up in December of '06. This gave me some free time on Friday and Saturday nights for the first time in many moons. :)

I went out almost every weekend in January thru March of this year to check out band's, trio's, duo's, and single performers in our area. I saw over 40 different acts, 60% to 70% of them being full bands. I will not reveal any names, but many of the performances ranged from the excruciatingly bad, to just at or below mediocre. For the record, I did not see every single band or performer in the area, but after three months worth of weekends it sure felt like I did!

Four of the bands as a whole, and some of the individual performers within the band's, trio's, duo's, and single acts were very good to excellent. I made it a point to either speak to them in person, or contact them later via phone or email to tell them how much I enjoyed their performance.

However, for the most part I'd like my time, gas, beer, and cover charge money back!
traumaqueen
Pants Goblin
Pants Goblin

Re: how often do you check out local music live?

Post by traumaqueen »

rezin wrote:just wondering about some of you guys.

theres some shows i go to and see the same people, which is awesome.

but theres some shows i check out, and maybe 10 people show up, even with a good bill and cheap cover.

i dont think people here support this scene enough.

:cry:
i find this thread to be highly relative, and somewhat counter-productive.
the folks responding to this topic support the local, original scene fairly fantastically when compared to the majority of the general population. if a poll was taken in my place of employment, probably 90% of participants would be unable to name greater than 4 local, currently gigging bands- much less tell you the last time they saw a performance by one of the named groups. "normal" people consider me a local scene expert and aficionado (which, of course, i am not)- and you know how often i get out...
it's all very relative.
why beat each other, or ourselves, down?
we get out there and do what we can for each other, as often as we can...
gotta have some balance in life.
no shame in having balance.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

the bean is a wise bean. balance is good.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
Austin_Taunt
Regular
Regular

Post by Austin_Taunt »

I feel the same way too!! I was playing out 6-8 times a month and was out MINIMUM 4 times a month to see local acts. Disapointed by alot but very pleased with a few. Most musicians cant do this bc they get burned out just like me. Now I'm taking a break from everything bc I'm just tired. I'm lining up my financing/grants for a recording studio and that is where my money will go.

One thing tho...I'm more likely to go check out a band that brings out non-musicians to shows. Too many bands do not focus on that aspect of promotion. We are all broke/BUSY/tired musicians. Support we must but we(fwm) only represent less than 10% of what a crowd should be. Promote to outsiders and it wont seem like a practice anymore. It makes it more fun to see new faces that have no ties to the music profession. I strongly believe those are the people to market and sell your soul to. I help those who help themselves first. I played at 4D's Aug 24 and we had 213 people and didnt see one single musician that I have supported.

Last thing, I went out last night with the old band and had wings at Flannigans and watched the Colts kick the crap out of the Saints. First time in a long time I went out just to hangout(nonmusical) and it was sweet!! GO COLTS!!!
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

Austin_Taunt wrote:GO COLTS!!!
The award for the wisest comment made in this thread goes to...
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

WARNING: Shameless plug somewhat relevant to this thread below!

Support another crappy local band tonight at The Side Pocket from 10PM to?

The Rewinders.

Stones
Dylan
Young
Beatles
Ike Reilly
Cash

And originals.

PS-- GO COLTS!
Stop.Drop.Roll.
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

bassjones wrote:Come to Mid-City tomorrow night. I guarantee you won't hear the same 27 tunes as every other bar band. Shameless self-promotion alert...
Would love to, but it's the weekend for my yearly pilgrimage to see those three kooky, yet musically gifted Canadians.