It's official...no smoking in public as of June 1st.

To keep the music chat from being un-interupted send all political opinons here. This is fortwayneMUSIC.com after all.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

G Fresh
RockStar
RockStar

Post by G Fresh »

Interesting read on the "science" of second-hand smoke related health issues.
http://www.myspace.com/matthewgates
http://www.youtube.com/MattyGFresh
Support Local Original Music
LowLife
RockStar
RockStar

Post by LowLife »

god i wish i could put a bullet to the head of every bit(hing non smoking as$hole's! ok i don't hate all non smokers!, i'm pissed off cuz local business spent good money to divide smoking and non smoking sections in resturants! but yet even after that they still bit(h and moan over this sh!t! now if you have asthma(sp?) i understand! but if you go to a bar, club, people smoke and you have the right to not got to that bar or club! i know i'm splitting hair here but i just look @ it from a bar owner point of view and with doing this it will kill business if i have to force people outside to smoke and when the winter time it will kill the business even more since during winter most people stay home instead of going out, and now not being able to smoke! its bullsh!t! i give it up to Tom Didier! :evil:
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

"This basically takes the nails out of the coffin and puts them into the boards on the windows of the bars that will close now," Didier said.
I don't think it will effect business for bars at all. People go to bars to BUY ALCOHOL. Smoking doesn't affect their profits at all. I saw NO change in Bloomington bar attendance when the smoking ban passed down there.

And though I love hanging out with my friends in bars, there ARE nights where I feel like I have a sinus infection, where I choose not to go to a bar because of the smoking.

Therefore, in my case, a bar would be more likely to improve MY attendance without smoking throughout the building.

Oliver, good ideas there. It's nice to see someone on the thread who is thinking instead of throwing a fit like many others.
Morphine Child
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Morphine Child »

LowLife wrote: i know i'm splitting hair here but i just look @ it from a bar owner point of view and with doing this it will kill business if i have to force people outside to smoke and when the winter time it will kill the business even more since during winter most people stay home instead of going out, and now not being able to smoke! its bullsh!t! i give it up to Tom Didier! :evil:
People won't stay home. People enjoy going out and they want to get hammered and be with friends somewhere besides their home. They'll stand outside for 70 seconds and smoke. Sure, they'll freeze, but that is a choice too.
"My friend says he wants to die. He's in a band, they sound like Pearl Jam, the clothes are all black and the music is crap."

Steven Wilson

NoteScribe: Premier [url=http://www.notescribe.net]Note Software[/url]
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

You guys just completely miss the point. This is about rights being taken away, not standing outside for 70 seconds. If you can buy a pack of smokes when your 18, why should it be illegal to smoke them in an establishment for ages 21 and up?

It is a bullsh*t communist law, and you are a forking communist if you support it.

Taking away people's rights is bullsh*t and I wish cancer on Dr. John "Communist" Crawford every day.
http://www.facebook.com/sevesd
http://www.myspace.com/sevesd
Morphine Child
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Morphine Child »

I'm a communist? My parents will be disappointed.
"My friend says he wants to die. He's in a band, they sound like Pearl Jam, the clothes are all black and the music is crap."

Steven Wilson

LowLife
RockStar
RockStar

Post by LowLife »

Morphine Child wrote:
LowLife wrote: i know i'm splitting hair here but i just look @ it from a bar owner point of view and with doing this it will kill business if i have to force people outside to smoke and when the winter time it will kill the business even more since during winter most people stay home instead of going out, and now not being able to smoke! its bullsh!t! i give it up to Tom Didier! :evil:
People won't stay home. People enjoy going out and they want to get hammered and be with friends somewhere besides their home. They'll stand outside for 70 seconds and smoke. Sure, they'll freeze, but that is a choice too.
i know i'm just pissed! :evil:
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Grindspine wrote:
"This basically takes the nails out of the coffin and puts them into the boards on the windows of the bars that will close now," Didier said.
I don't think it will effect business for bars at all. People go to bars to BUY ALCOHOL. Smoking doesn't affect their profits at all. I saw NO change in Bloomington bar attendance when the smoking ban passed down there.

And though I love hanging out with my friends in bars, there ARE nights where I feel like I have a sinus infection, where I choose not to go to a bar because of the smoking.

Therefore, in my case, a bar would be more likely to improve MY attendance without smoking throughout the building.

Oliver, good ideas there. It's nice to see someone on the thread who is thinking instead of throwing a fit like many others.
It may be true that it won't affect the bars where college students and people in their early - mid twenties freqent, probably won't in fact. Columbia Street West, Piere's, Mid-City Grill, those kinds of places will be just fine, maybe even better off. The places it's going to hurt are the little neighborhood bars where the blue collar 40 and 50-somethings go to have a beer or two, shoot some pool, eat some bar food, talk to other like-minded individuals and smoke for a few hours after a long, hard day/week at work. The Green Frog Inns of the world. This is going to hurt them and may end up forcing many of them right out of business.

The worst is the VFW/American Legion halls. Those men and women deserve the freedom to smoke in THEIR hall if they want to smoke.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

collar 40 and 50-somethings go to have a beer or two, shoot some pool, eat some bar food, talk to other like-minded individuals and smoke for a few hours after a long, hard day/week at work. The Green Frog Inns of the world. This is going to hurt them and may end up forcing many of them right out of business.
Bring this up a year from now. I'd really like to see how it pans out. (And, no, I'm not being sarcastic or beligerant here... I'd actually like to see if you're take on the age difference will pan out to make a difference in profit margins among bars for following a smoking ban.)
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I fear that every bar closing in the next two years will be blamed on this, true or not. I do know those are the bars that are most worried about the effects of the ban.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

The places it's going to hurt are the little neighborhood bars where the blue collar 40 and 50-somethings go to have a beer or two, shoot some pool, eat some bar food, talk to other like-minded individuals and smoke for a few hours after a long, hard day/week at work. The Green Frog Inns of the world. This is going to hurt them and may end up forcing many of them right out of business.
eg:
Green Frog
Deer Park
Latchstring
Jack & Johnny's
Sportsmen
Big Eyed Fish
The Pantry (mmm wait a minute)
State Grill

....to name a few, will be interesting to see how they're
doing by the end of 2007.

Less is always more
Morphine Child
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Morphine Child »

Is there any information on how a similar ban in other cities has affected the bars in other cities?

Steven Wilson

Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

The places it's going to hurt are the little neighborhood bars where the blue collar 40 and 50-somethings go to have a beer or two, shoot some pool, eat some bar food, talk to other like-minded individuals and smoke for a few hours after a long, hard day/week at work.
Ya know, those people are still going to have a beer or two, shoot some pool, eat some bar food and talk to other like-minded individuals. They just have to smoke outside...

I do, however have one potential problem with this ban. Many Fort Wayne businesses have already invested in totally separate, enclosed smoking sections. Are those places going to be allowed to keep their smoking sections? It would only be fair to the businesses after the investment they've made. And it would still give those who choose to smoke that freedom of choice where it does not affect those who choose not to breathe it.
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

Grindspine wrote:
The places it's going to hurt are the little neighborhood bars where the blue collar 40 and 50-somethings go to have a beer or two, shoot some pool, eat some bar food, talk to other like-minded individuals and smoke for a few hours after a long, hard day/week at work.
Ya know, those people are still going to have a beer or two, shoot some pool, eat some bar food and talk to other like-minded individuals. They just have to smoke outside...

I do, however have one potential problem with this ban. Many Fort Wayne businesses have already invested in totally separate, enclosed smoking sections. Are those places going to be allowed to keep their smoking sections? It would only be fair to the businesses after the investment they've made. And it would still give those who choose to smoke that freedom of choice where it does not affect those who choose not to breathe it.
As I understand it, their outta luck! Banned as all the rest will be.

Less is always more
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

WBOB wrote:
Grindspine wrote: I do, however have one potential problem with this ban. Many Fort Wayne businesses have already invested in totally separate, enclosed smoking sections. Are those places going to be allowed to keep their smoking sections? It would only be fair to the businesses after the investment they've made. And it would still give those who choose to smoke that freedom of choice where it does not affect those who choose not to breathe it.
As I understand it, their outta luck! Banned as all the rest will be.
Now THAT should be an issue where petitions should be made to make allowance for smoking sections. Those businesses already cooperated with the current statutes and invested in making separate smoking sections. If the new statutes do not make allowances for those places, they are unjust.