Import Cars

To keep the music chat from being un-interupted send all political opinons here. This is fortwayneMUSIC.com after all.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Lou B do B dooo
Regular
Regular

Post by Lou B do B dooo »

I think you would be hard pressed to find a domestic car or truck that is 100% american made. All of the big three use parts or in some cases entire drivetrains from foreign manufactures.
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

BMW is American made now. They even have the highest % or American/domestic parts manufacturing as well.

They bailed in Germany 5 or so years ago and are now based in N.C.

Wonderful stuff...

Chris
Haggard
Regular
Regular

Post by Haggard »

Lou B do B dooo wrote:I think you would be hard pressed to find a domestic car or truck that is 100% american made. All of the big three use parts or in some cases entire drivetrains from foreign manufactures.
Right. I am die hard GM and my fiance just got a Pontiac Vibe which is basically all Toyota under the hood.

I think you should buy what you like, not what has the best price. Too many people lower their standards because of a $109 payment. I like Hummer, so I bought one. I now like the Imapala SS, so I will be buying one soon.
This system cannot be reformed or voted out of office because reforms and elections do not challenge the fundamental causes of injustice.

[img]http://www.wm3.org/database_images/banners/WM3chainBLACKbg.gif[/img]
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Haggard wrote:
Lou B do B dooo wrote:I think you would be hard pressed to find a domestic car or truck that is 100% american made. All of the big three use parts or in some cases entire drivetrains from foreign manufactures.
Right. I am die hard GM and my fiance just got a Pontiac Vibe which is basically all Toyota under the hood.

I think you should buy what you like, not what has the best price. Too many people lower their standards because of a $109 payment. I like Hummer, so I bought one. I now like the Imapala SS, so I will be buying one soon.
Ummm...while I understand your perspective, for those of us that really only care about getting from Point A to Point B, why not go for the lowest cost (notice I didn't say lowest price)? I could really care less about what "I" like if all I need is a vehicle...I'm going to go with the lowest cost, preferrably something that gives me enough security so I won't be paying out the wazoo on repairs!
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
Haggard
Regular
Regular

Post by Haggard »

bwohlgemuth wrote:
cwallace wrote:You don't just wake up one morning and find your job is gone...there are signs...
There are people who really cannot function at that level (due to intelligence, education, carelessness, etc). Those people should get some sort of help, but nothing beyond what is already offered (how many programs are out there for free college for low income people!)
I have experienced this myself. The company I worked for previously as an electrician decided it was cheaper to manufacture products without a union so they moved to Florida. We had a year and a half notice. Many of the people were informed and knew exactly when their last day was. Rather than arming themselves with any education which the company would have still paid for, they thought it was better to fight the company for better severence deals.

The other problem was after being laid off the state paid for them to go to school and paid them unemployment on top of that, as part of a deal for workers who were laid off by a departing company. Many people who went for the schooling dropped out because it was just to difficult at Ivy Tech, and the ones who earned some sort of degree or certificate wound up right back at another factory because that is all they know. People do not want to challenge themselves and the system in order to advance and get a better career. They would rather work a remedial job and then complain while at that job about how they will never get ahead, and how the man holds them down. I still deal with this issue at my job, when I am on the plant floor I get harassed about how I am a goody goody and I must have kissed someones ass for the job. It's just that mentality that keeps the future bright for people like me.

Now go buy a GM!
This system cannot be reformed or voted out of office because reforms and elections do not challenge the fundamental causes of injustice.

[img]http://www.wm3.org/database_images/banners/WM3chainBLACKbg.gif[/img]
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

bwohlgemuth wrote:
cwallace wrote:You don't just wake up one morning and find your job is gone...there are signs...
There are people who really cannot function at that level (due to intelligence, education, carelessness, etc). Those people should get some sort of help, but nothing beyond what is already offered (how many programs are out there for free college for low income people!)
How many? Plenty...

I had a class two semesters ago that not ONE person in that class was paying for their own school nor did they have to pay it back.

Of the 13 people in the class there were 6 that had garanteed income and school paid for UNTIL they finished their degree...all the way through a bachelors degree only of course.

There are plenty of ways to get your school paid for. I didn't spend a dime out of pocket last year as I was going to school...not even for books...

There is a way...the majority of the time it is due to laziness and as was stated...people who would rather fight the company to keep the job than to take advantage of what is offered them.

I also teach for Verizon and that is 100% paid for by the company for them to go to school and get degrees.

The company I work for now also has 100% tuition reimbursment.

There are ways...it takes effort..

Chris
Lou B do B dooo
Regular
Regular

Post by Lou B do B dooo »

[quote]Now go buy a GM![/quote

I use to be a GM fan until I owned my last two. I now own a Volkswagen GTI and a Mercedes c230. You can't go wrong with a german automobile.
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

I own a Chevy Silverado and a VW Passat...covering all bases:)

Yeah, the whole school thing I have never understood. Most companies pay for most if not all of your education, but so few people utilize it. I finished my bachelors after getting a regular job and honestly, it was the easiest schooling I have ever done. I was able to go to school at night, right after work, once a week. The classes were all very easy, as the goal of most instructors was to get you through the class and get some degree of information to stick. I am quite amazed that anyone, say 25 years of age or older, could fail one of these night programs.

All you have to do is show up and but forth a little tiny bit of effort...not much to ask to get a degree and have your company support your educational habits!
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
Krieves
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Krieves »

cwallace wrote:Totally agree with the responsibility of the individuals. It is time we stopped holding everyone's hands and let them fend for themselves...the signs are evident that there are job losses happening every day. You don't just wake up one morning and find your job is gone...there are signs...

I see it on the news...I know these people have and watch TV. :)

Chris
While that may be true is some instances, that is not always the case. Particularly for the 150+ people that work at American Home Mortgage, here in FTW. They found out Tuesday that the company was failing. Today is their last day of work.

For these poor folks there was no warning, no time to prepare financially, and no time to mentally prepare for a loss of employment.
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

Krieves wrote:While that may be true is some instances, that is not always the case. Particularly for the 150+ people that work at American Home Mortgage, here in FTW. They found out Tuesday that the company was failing. Today is their last day of work.

For these poor folks there was no warning, no time to prepare financially, and no time to mentally prepare for a loss of employment.
True, but those people probably worked for Waterfield Mortgage, which shut its doors a few years ago. And before that, who knows?

This is also the purpose of unemployment insurance, welfare, etc. To HELP people when something like this happens, not to become a way of life.

I work in telecom, an industry famous for layoffs and bankruptcy. We didn't have a vast amount of savings, but we could have survived for a month while I found another job. And I only landed in this industry when I decided I needed to get a job that had stability.
Krieves
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Krieves »

Yeah, most of them were ex-Waterfield folks. Waterfield shut down about 16 months ago, so these folks were laid off (terminated actually) twice within 2 years.
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

Krieves wrote:Yeah, most of them were ex-Waterfield folks. Waterfield shut down about 16 months ago, so these folks were laid off (terminated actually) twice within 2 years.
Which included my sister-in-law, but she's doesn't work for AHM, she got out of the industry and went to another firm (for more money).

At this point, people should seriously look at changing job markets...
G Fresh
RockStar
RockStar

Post by G Fresh »

Krieves wrote:Yeah, most of them were ex-Waterfield folks. Waterfield shut down about 16 months ago, so these folks were laid off (terminated actually) twice within 2 years.
Geez, that sucks. I was one of the Waterfield people that got let go the first time, but rather than try to get a job with the new owners, I decided to take the initiative and move down here to Nashvegas. It was the right choice as now I've got a nice office job doing somewhat similar things to what I did at Waterfield, but getting paid almost twice as much. Combine that with the fact that the cost of living down here is about the same as Fort Wayne and I'm doing fairly well for myself.

Also, there's a ton of support for original music down here which is a complete breath of fresh air for me.

Anyway, swerving back on topic, I might have to take advantage of the company tuition plan once I'm eligible. The only crud thing is, is I'm guessing I would have to go for some kind of business degree, but that's not so bad I guess. Better than having no degree anyway.

Wait, weren't were talking about import vehicles? How did it get to this? :wink:
http://www.myspace.com/matthewgates
http://www.youtube.com/MattyGFresh
Support Local Original Music
jschall84
Regular
Regular

Post by jschall84 »

As far as quality scores, are those entirely unbiased or do they favor the highest bidder? I have never bought into the notion of quality scores, just long term statistics on who has the most vehicles lasting 10-15 years. I thought it was funny on the recent Subaru commercial they were bragging that 95% of their cars were still on the road. I think they said that was after 10 years. To me, that is terrible. On the other hand I cannot say American cars last longer, so I really don't have a good argument. :oops:[/quote]
that includes total loss accidents as well.. id say thats pretty damn good
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

Anyway, swerving back on topic, I might have to take advantage of the company tuition plan once I'm eligible. The only crud thing is, is I'm guessing I would have to go for some kind of business degree, but that's not so bad I guess. Better than having no degree anyway.
Swinging back OT... :-)

Get it. Find a school which is accredited and get the damn thing done as cheap and as quick as possible. A degree in "something" is better than nothing.

I affectionately call my B.S. in Organizational Management the "Piece of Paper". The MBA that I'll have in December is something different. ;-)