NYC banning Trans Fats in 2008

To keep the music chat from being un-interupted send all political opinons here. This is fortwayneMUSIC.com after all.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,235317,00.html

This is a great article that makes some very good points:

The New York City Board of Health this week banned the use of trans fats by restaurants. The decision is directly traceable back to the “researchâ€
http://www.facebook.com/sevesd
http://www.myspace.com/sevesd
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

sevesd93 wrote:And one other thing, if i ever have the chance to meet one of these f*#king dip sh*ts that actually supports taking away people's rights, I am going to shove my Budweiser up their ass, put my cigarette out in their eye's and feed them Trans Fat with a big f*#king spoon until they vomit all over themselves.
I don't know where the racial issue, and cops shooting the guy 51 times came up in a conversation about trans fats...

Sevesd... Wouldn't shoving your budweiser up someone's ass, putting your cig out in their eyes (without the apostrophe) and feeding them trans fat be taking away their rights just as much as they're taking away yours?

I thought it was the FDA's job to ban substances, such as food and drugs, that have been found to be harmful? I question where the city of New York is taking this on when it should be the FDA's gig.
traumaqueen
Pants Goblin
Pants Goblin

Post by traumaqueen »

fine enough points, grindspine. but i see what mr. seve is getting at.
it is freaking me out a little that any old "politician" with any old agenda can freak us all out this much.....
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

Sevesd... Wouldn't shoving your budweiser up someone's ass, putting your cig out in their eyes (without the apostrophe) and feeding them trans fat be taking away their rights just as much as they're taking away yours?
Not at all, they took my rights away first. I don't care what other people do, you know why? It doesn't affect me. If you want to be fat, be fat. People just need to worry about themselves sometimes, and f**k off. I don't need some butthead telling me what I can and cannot eat now. If people continue to allow their rights to be taken away one by one, soon your life will be guided completely by rules and regulations: When and what to eat, where and when to sh*t, how to f**k your wife. For some reason government thinks they know the best way for you to run your life. You may not think this thing is a big deal, and you are probably right, it is not for most people, but this is just another score for someone to ban something else that you may like.
Morphine Child
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Morphine Child »

sevesd93 wrote:

Not at all, they took my rights away first. I don't care what other people do, you know why? It doesn't affect me. If you want to be fat, be fat. People just need to worry about themselves sometimes, and f#ck off. I don't need some assh*le telling me what I can and cannot eat now. If people continue to allow their rights to be taken away one by one, soon your life will be guided completely by rules and regulations: When and what to eat, where and when to sh*t, how to f#ck your wife. For some reason government thinks they know the best way for you to run your life. You may not think this thing is a big deal, and you are probably right, it is not for most people, but this is just another score for someone to ban something else that you may like.
Actually, it will, and does effect you. The more people become obese, the more people will end up with diabetes. The more people end up with diabetes and obese to the point they can't work, the more money the government has to pay them. The more people that retire and are obese, the more health care they are going to need and the more the government will have to pay out to Medicare. And where does your Government get their revenue? Your paycheck. And what does the government do when they need more money for healthcare? They take it from your paycheck.

The government isn't trying to be a mean old parent that is sending you off to bed without your cookies, they're watching their own ass, and your ass consequently. Maybe they should be shoving Budweiser (better than wasting a good Newcastle on someones ass) up peoples ass. I don't know.
"My friend says he wants to die. He's in a band, they sound like Pearl Jam, the clothes are all black and the music is crap."

Steven Wilson

NoteScribe: Premier [url=http://www.notescribe.net]Note Software[/url]
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

Actually, Sevesd, my point was more that it'd be stooping to their level more than defending their position...personal accountability.

Unfortunately, a lot of people in the world still suck. But in the end you can only be responsible for your own actions.

Diabetes sucks. Corn syrup is to blame!
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

I totally see where you guys are at, but I am not obese and I don't have diabetes. So why should I have to suffer with the rest? I just think if we don't draw the line somewhere all this "banning of things" is going to get out of hand real quick.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Morphine Child wrote:
sevesd93 wrote:

Not at all, they took my rights away first. I don't care what other people do, you know why? It doesn't affect me. If you want to be fat, be fat. People just need to worry about themselves sometimes, and f#ck off. I don't need some assh*le telling me what I can and cannot eat now. If people continue to allow their rights to be taken away one by one, soon your life will be guided completely by rules and regulations: When and what to eat, where and when to sh*t, how to f#ck your wife. For some reason government thinks they know the best way for you to run your life. You may not think this thing is a big deal, and you are probably right, it is not for most people, but this is just another score for someone to ban something else that you may like.
Actually, it will, and does effect you. The more people become obese, the more people will end up with diabetes. The more people end up with diabetes and obese to the point they can't work, the more money the government has to pay them. The more people that retire and are obese, the more health care they are going to need and the more the government will have to pay out to Medicare. And where does your Government get their revenue? Your paycheck. And what does the government do when they need more money for healthcare? They take it from your paycheck.

The government isn't trying to be a mean old parent that is sending you off to bed without your cookies, they're watching their own ass, and your ass consequently. Maybe they should be shoving Budweiser (better than wasting a good Newcastle on someones ass) up peoples ass. I don't know.
This is why I'm a Libertarian. Live your life your way. Suffer the consequences if you screw up. And this is exactly what I've been saying for the last 4 years on these boards. The more you rely on government to take care of you, the more of your freedoms they are going to take away. You can't have it both ways. I choose liberty.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Morphine Child
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Morphine Child »

bassjones wrote: This is why I'm a Libertarian. Live your life your way. Suffer the consequences if you screw up. And this is exactly what I've been saying for the last 4 years on these boards. The more you rely on government to take care of you, the more of your freedoms they are going to take away. You can't have it both ways. I choose liberty.
Yeah, not too long ago I would have sided with you on the Libertarian thing. And while I don't disagree with Libertarian idealism, it's really difficult to view it as a feasible position for our country. Sadly, the number of people capable of taking care of themselves in this country is pretty damn low. In a lot of ways, I think it could end up in chaos. Though I could be wrong. Has it been tried anywhere? I'm just curious.

I do agree with their perspectives on revamping the welfare system and social security. I would love to not have a Medicade and Social Security tax that I'm never going to see any of. I'd love to have the 11% of my yearly check to invest in an IRA, instead it goes into someone elses account, and I'm probably never going to see any of it when I retire. And the job I hold is working with a lot of clients on medicare...so I have a lot of problems with that system. Even though it's where my paychecks come from, I admit it's a very flawed system.
"My friend says he wants to die. He's in a band, they sound like Pearl Jam, the clothes are all black and the music is crap."

Steven Wilson

NoteScribe: Premier [url=http://www.notescribe.net]Note Software[/url]
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

On the issue of Trans Fats only...

I think that the issue is more about the public getting trans fats into their diet unknowingly.

I mean... If given the choice of a bag of fries that were, or were not, cooked with trans fats, and they had no difference in taste... what would you choose?

Its not about removing your choices. IMO its about keeping undesirable elements out of your foods. We know fries will clog your heart. If it doesn't effect your life in the bit, why would it be such a big deal that The Government required that the fries meet minimal health requirements that everyone agrees are best for the body?

No ones keeping you from ordering the fries, or even making your own fries at home with trans fats. They are not outlawing fries or making it difficult to find...you still have these choices.

I align this with the Government requiring the car makers to raise fuel efficiency. Or Liquor and cigarettes with warning labels. Or kids toys with minimum safety requirements. Or a waiting period on guns. Or mandatory inspections of public places for safety and health violations.

Its when there are REAL issues with health and safety. Who will be the ones to enforce a fix or removal of the violation?

Imagine the sanity level some restaurants would have if The Government wasn't doing something in the best interests of the masses.

Imagine my heart if someone didn't stop serving me fried foods in the fattiest oils simply because it was cheaper, with complete disregard for the public and its health concerns.

They already insure that there is no more than the minimal acceptable levels of bug crap and rat hair in your peanut butter.

Buy the fries. Drive the SUV. Play with the kids toys, kill stuff with firearms... but there should be *something* in place to prevent the providers of these goods from inflicting any more damage to the population than the nature of the goods themselves.
Last edited by Oliver's Army on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

Some good insight there ^
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

Grindspine wrote:Some good insight there ^
I liked it too! The cold remedy medicine must
be kickin in.