Last night Senate passed "Child Custody & Protectio

To keep the music chat from being un-interupted send all political opinons here. This is fortwayneMUSIC.com after all.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

jewlee138
Addict
Addict

Last night Senate passed "Child Custody & Protectio

Post by jewlee138 »

Last night, the Senate passed a bill called the "Child Custody Protection Act."

The legislation supposedly makes it a criminal act for any person -- including a grandparent or clergy member -- to accompany a young women to an out-of-state doctor for abortion care if she lives in a state with a strict parental-involvement law. The punishment for violating this law is a year in prison.

Is anyone familiar with this? I just got a one-sided e-mail from a pro-choice mailing list I belong to & wondered what was up with it and hadn't looked much into the details yet.....
Last edited by jewlee138 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot "finger-on-keyboard" action

www.expiredmagazine.com
tony2tone
Regular
Regular

Post by tony2tone »

makes sence.
as a parent i would like to be informed on matters like this.
stop being scared of rap music!!
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

Score another point for conservatives against women's reproductive rights... :roll:
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Grindspine wrote:Score another point for conservatives against women's reproductive rights... :roll:
So you want your pregnant 16 year old daughter dashing off for an out of state abortion without your knowing?

:roll:
flapjacks
RockStar
RockStar

Post by flapjacks »

BOO! i dont like this act
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4453/davidhasselhoff2gc.jpg[/img][/url]

David hasselhoff, a rocket of dissapointment
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

flapjacks wrote:BOO! i dont like this act
why?
echosauce1
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by echosauce1 »

Since it didn't directly say in the original post, I want to clarify.

Does "young women" mean under the age of 18?

If so I have no problem with that.
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

Oliver's Army wrote:
Grindspine wrote:Score another point for conservatives against women's reproductive rights... :roll:
So you want your pregnant 16 year old daughter dashing off for an out of state abortion without your knowing?

I don't have a daughter, or a child at all. I believe in using birth control once in a while though and trying to take some responsibilities for my actions.

I would have hated it if I were 16 and forced to go through with having a girl pregnant and having a lifetime commitment forced upon me with no way out.

Sometimes people really need to try to walk in the shoes of those they inflict decisions and lifestyles upon.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Its not an Either/Or issue.

It's about letting the parents know their 16 year old is wanting this.

I am sure *most* pro-choice families would consider both sides of the issue.

It's more about the safety and concerns for a minor.

You can't assume that because the parents know it automatically means they will force the girl into motherhood, or adoption, or abortion.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Grindspine wrote:
Oliver's Army wrote:

I don't have a daughter, or a child at all. I believe in using birth control once in a while though and trying to take some responsibilities for my actions.

I would have hated it if I were 16 and forced to go through with having a girl pregnant and having a lifetime commitment forced upon me with no way out.

Sometimes people really need to try to walk in the shoes of those they inflict decisions and lifestyles upon.
Which is why I wasn't having sex when I was 16. I was mature enough to know that I wasn't mature enough to raise or help raise a child. If you're not mature enough to raise a child, you're not mature enough to be having sexual intercourse. <-emphasis on the period!

And yes, perhaps we should walk in the shoes of the unborn before we determine they're not quite human, and inflict pain and death upon them.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

Which is why I wasn't having sex when I was 16. I was mature enough to know that I wasn't mature enough to raise or help raise a child.
Then we also need better sexual education for the children. We can't expect them not to have sex when they obivously aren't informed enough on the subject.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

sharkmansix wrote:
Which is why I wasn't having sex when I was 16. I was mature enough to know that I wasn't mature enough to raise or help raise a child.
Then we also need better sexual education for the children. We can't expect them not to have sex when they obivously aren't informed enough on the subject.
Statistics don't seem to bare that out. We have far more detailed sex education (formal and informal) than 40 years ago, yet teens are having sex far more frequently. What we need is some moral education from parents/teachers/youth workers that emphasizes abstinence. Teens know plenty about the facts and plenty about the how to. What they're not getting enough of is the why not.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

Statistics don't seem to bare that out. We have far more detailed sex education (formal and informal) than 40 years ago, yet teens are having sex far more frequently.
And I've read that the numbers are about the same from then until now. The only difference is that people are more willing to talk about sex.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Cue salt -n- pepa tune.
Myrddin
Regular
Regular

Post by Myrddin »

Oliver's Army wrote:Cue salt -n- pepa tune.
HA!!!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/sharkmansix/jedimaster.jpg[/img]