here's a good question...

Talk about anything specifically related to local music. Local CD's, websites, local, local, local!

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

HillgrassBluebillyFTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

here's a good question...

Post by HillgrassBluebillyFTW »

Do people in Fort Wayne, bands and bars, understand the role of a Promoter?

In trying to deal with new bars in recent months I've come to a conclusion that many people may not understand the role of a promoter.
1. I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. - Romans 15

If you want to know what I am working on check out these sites:

OhSoHumorous.com
TopDailyMemes.com
RandomDailyMemes.com
BestDailyMemes.com
FortWayneMusic.om
Kwalis.com
SoHumorous.com
FailUniversity.com
FaceFullOf.com
NuZuDu.com
FireFlyGoods.com
ThePeopleBlog.com
StealMyMemes.com
DontStealMyMemes.com

More to come...
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Do all the hard work for little or no recognition...
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

My role with local bands was more of a manager/promoter.

The issues that killed more opportunities was the complete lack of commnication between the players and myself.

If you are going to pay me 10-15% of your money to book your gigs, promote your band and keep you busy... for pete's sake keep me up to date on your availability, don't question/argue about what-where-when to play, answer the phone and return a damn Email.

OR just do it yourself.

(FB)
Last edited by Oliver's Army on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
big ben parliament
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by big ben parliament »

Personally, I would be happy to give up a percentage to ensure that the show was promoted properly.
a repo man is always intense. www.myspace.com/IWombat
www.wombatrocks.com
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Oliver's Army wrote:My role with local bands was more of a manager/promoter.

The issues that killed more opportunities was the complete lack of commnication between the players and myself.

If you are going to pay me 10-15% of your money to book your gigs, promote your band and keep you busy... for pete's sake keep me up to date on your availability, don't question/argue about what-where-when to play, answer the phone and return a damn Email.

OR just do it yourself.

(FB)
Oddly enough, back when I was in a band, there were plenty of those same communication problems WITHIN THE BAND...so I am not surprised. But I think that is what you deal with when the band is not full-time...I mean, with jobs and other hobbies, things seem to change every day.

Now, I am sure some of that was between the "frontman" and the venue, but when communication with your own bandmates is lacking...it can suck hard!

And I would think, any local band that had good enough communication to work well with a manager/promoter, would probably be able to handle their own scheduling and promotion...its the ones that can't that normally look for help...
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

IME and IMO, the busiest people are usually the most reliable though. I'm not available last minute very often, but I'm rarely if ever cancelling gigs/practices because I can't be there or worse, just not showing up. I have a tight schedule and I honor it.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
LC Pwince
I Been Around
I Been Around

Re: here's a good question...

Post by LC Pwince »

anderson wrote:Do people in Fort Wayne, bands and bars, understand the role of a Promoter?

In trying to deal with new bars in recent months I've come to a conclusion that many people may not understand the role of a promoter.
In a word, I'd say no.
HillgrassBluebillyFTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

LC Pwince wrote:
anderson wrote:Do people in Fort Wayne, bands and bars, understand the role of a Promoter?

In a word, I'd say no.
I totally agree... am I the last of a dying breed? Or is Fort Wayne just dumb?
1. I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. - Romans 15

OhSoHumorous.com
TopDailyMemes.com
RandomDailyMemes.com
BestDailyMemes.com
FortWayneMusic.om
Kwalis.com
SoHumorous.com
FailUniversity.com
FaceFullOf.com
NuZuDu.com
FireFlyGoods.com
ThePeopleBlog.com
StealMyMemes.com
DontStealMyMemes.com

More to come...
LC Pwince
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by LC Pwince »

I don't think bands or bars realize the benefits of having a promoter, because I don't think there are enough people who have done it well around here. I'm not talking about you, BTW Ando.
zenmandan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by zenmandan »

LC Pwince wrote:I don't think bands or bars realize the benefits of having a promoter, because I don't think there are enough people who have done it well around here. I'm not talking about you, BTW Ando.
There are local people booking gigs that have no concept of the fact that they are representing the band they're booking. I was talking with a bar owner not long ago, and the conversation was going fine...up until the point that the owner made the connection that I had played in a band that was "promoted" by a certain gentleman. The owner's attitude changed 180 degrees and they abruptly ended our talk, all due to the fact that some guy that was booking our band was a total douche.
Al Quandt
General Manager / Design
General Manager / Design

Post by Al Quandt »

anderson wrote:
LC Pwince wrote:

In a word, I'd say no.
I quit focusing on it for that reason. Too much personal money spent, and not enough gained, then not to mention the complaining after every event.
Fort Wayne Digital Media Production Group LLC
http://www.fwdmp.com

Music
myspace.com/deadgirlsorry
myspace.com/thatcraftydevil
myspace.com/skinnydamnit

Other
http://OhSoHumorous.com
http://RandomDailymemes.com
http://www.FailUniversity.com
http://BestDailyMemes.com
http://www.StealMyMemes.com
http://www.Sohumorous.com
HillgrassBluebillyFTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

kimaliz wrote:
anderson wrote:
LC Pwince wrote: In a word, I'd say no.
I quit focusing on it for that reason. Too much personal money spent, and not enough gained, then not to mention the complaining after every event.
I don't get complaints... maybe my shows are better than yours were. ;)

HAHA!

OhSoHumorous.com
TopDailyMemes.com
RandomDailyMemes.com
BestDailyMemes.com
FortWayneMusic.om
Kwalis.com
SoHumorous.com
FailUniversity.com
FaceFullOf.com
NuZuDu.com
FireFlyGoods.com
ThePeopleBlog.com
StealMyMemes.com
DontStealMyMemes.com

More to come...
Pullimic
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Pullimic »

anderson wrote:
LC Pwince wrote:

In a word, I'd say no.
I think it's more of bars don't really want to deal with bands as much, I mean for a few hundred bucks they can hire a DJ for the weekend that plays nothin but hip hop or techno and bring in the binge drinking 21 y/o's and the places that do book bands (other than places like peires) don't want to pay much. unless you're working in a studio and have a band it's hard to devote 100% to a band and not just have is as an evening/weekend hobby