Why doese the local scene suck so bad.....

Talk about anything specifically related to local music. Local CD's, websites, local, local, local!

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

Post by Massage...Bored »

conley wrote: Yeah, yeah, you're not in it for the money & that's great; but, bands who have the "I'll play for free" attitude are bound to eventually hurt the payscale....that's just simple economics.
I bet it pisses a few people off that we won the BOB and that allows us to book more shows and more spots, yet we are soooo willing to play for free because we simply enjoy the experience. It makes me smile knowing this.

I could just care less about getting paid. I'm not saying you shouldn't get paid, I'm saying don't expect it when you're starting out and don't cop an attitude when you go home with 5 bucks. Personally, I don't care if money enters the transaction or not.
flapjacks
RockStar
RockStar

Post by flapjacks »

yeah
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4453/davidhasselhoff2gc.jpg[/img][/url]

David hasselhoff, a rocket of dissapointment
largebanjo
Troll
Troll

Post by largebanjo »

Fort Wayne, there is something to be left desired, but I feel that the music scene here is a very good one. There are many talented people here. The thing that sucks about it is the crowds. There are only a core group of people that come out to support the local acts. I am not in a band that sucks ass so I wouldn't know about all that, but the support is where it's at. Fort Wayne could use some work in that area.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I'm with Conley on this, although I can see Zach's point as well. It does hurt people who are trying to make a full-time living off music to have other bands willing to play for free or extremely low pay. I would love to see a union w/ some teeth in this town and bars that agree to only hire members of that union, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
adam atherton
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by adam atherton »

largebanjo wrote: I am not in a band that sucks ass
agreed..... :)
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

bassjones wrote:I would love to see a union w/ some teeth in this town and bars that agree to only hire members of that union, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Terrible idea.
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

Do you hate money or what?
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

No, a unionization would effectively kill/overly complicate any scene that we have.
mkelley
One Lucky Trainhopper
One Lucky Trainhopper

Post by mkelley »

When I was in a cover band, I wanted to get paid. We were providing background music for people to drink alcohol to, and to try to figure out what color underwear each other are wearing.

When I wasn't in a cover band, it didn't matter so much. We were sharing our art and frankly I'm flattered anyone cares to listen.

I think if a club or venue or organization is making a ton of money off of us (cover or originals), and is a for-profit (or not not-for-profit, however you want to think of it), then the band deserves a fair piece of that.
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Bands and musicians aren't entitled to sh*t, and if you think you are right out of the gate, your ego needs an adjustment.

I bet it pisses a few people off that we won the BOB and that allows us to book more shows and more spots, yet we are soooo willing to play for free because we simply enjoy the experience. It makes me smile knowing this.
It sounds as though a few of us may need our egos adjusted.

I would never suggest that a waitress shouldn't get paid, because she spilled my soup. I would never suggest a bouncer doesn't get paid because he isn't as trained in submission techniques as the next guy. I wouldn't suggest that a bartender doesn't get paid because he doesn't get my drink fast enough. So should a band not get paid because they aren't as "good" as "Flavor Of The Year and The Tastytones"? If I do a bad job, don't hire me back. It seems pretty simple to me.

I am entitled, right out of the gates, to compensation for my time and effort. Is it ego? Maybe. Isn't that what public performance is all about? I don't buy this hippy dippy, sharing my art and my love with the world B.S. If one makes a beautiful thing and desires others to partake of it and say "wow, what a beautiful thing", isn't that ego?
mkelley
One Lucky Trainhopper
One Lucky Trainhopper

Post by mkelley »

It's ALL ego, absolutely.

But my point is this -- if Mike Conley is playing Billy Joel songs at Hall's Gas House, he should get paid for it. If Zach Smith is dressing in a dolphin outfit and doing an all-original in-store at at the Jiffy Lube on Crescent, he should not be so worried about it.

I love and admire both those guys and they know it.
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Agreed.
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

[quote="Hutnick
If one makes a beautiful thing and desires others to partake of it and say "wow, what a beautiful thing", isn't that ego?[/quote]

No its not, its sharing music. No ego involved, you don't have to listen or comment on it, its free and its there for your ears.
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Maybe my idea of ego is skewed. It seems to me that in order to desire sharing any creation, a certain amount of ego has to be involved or else one would be too embarrassed to share. Theres nothing wrong with thinking that what you have accomplished is good, and worth something.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Massage...Bored wrote:No, a unionization would effectively kill/overly complicate any scene that we have.
Why? It works in Nashville.

This is weird... the conservative is pushing for a union, and the liberal is opposed to it... :lol:
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.