Why doese the local scene suck so bad.....

Talk about anything specifically related to local music. Local CD's, websites, local, local, local!

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

b-sharpsrawk

Post by b-sharpsrawk »

why does it suck? lack of interest from venues, folk livin in the fort, and most musicians.but most importantly lack of creativitey and originality from most musicians. ive seen maybe a hundred or so local bands in my life, and i think i may have liked 4 or 5. the scene sucks cuz it sucks.

how do you make it good? just keep fornicatin doin whatever you think is good.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

wacky kids.
b-sharpsrawk

Post by b-sharpsrawk »

wacky kids.
thats another reason, everyones old.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

whats "old"?
b-sharpsrawk

Post by b-sharpsrawk »

when you are no longer a "wacky kid"
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

heheheheh

Then I'm not old.
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

Then I'm not old.
Classic. Someone threw a really, really fluffy little ball to the batter and it got WHHHHEEEAAAAKKKEEDDD!

I love this game.

why does it suck? lack of interest from venues, folk livin in the fort, and most musicians.but most importantly lack of creativitey and originality from most musicians. ive seen maybe a hundred or so local bands in my life, and i think i may have liked 4 or 5. the scene sucks cuz it sucks.

how do you make it good? just keep f*ckin doin whatever you think is good
And the last part solves the problem you see in what way, exactly?

This is some keen logic, folks. Pay attention.
Stop.Drop.Roll.
lbanks
Regular
Regular

Post by lbanks »

Massage...Bored wrote:
Bands and musicians aren't entitled to sh*t, and if you think you are right out of the gate, your ego needs an adjustment.
I can't get behind that. Musician deserve their pay as much as anyone else.
What!
echosauce1
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by echosauce1 »

As far as money goes, most shows I have played in various bands I've been in, we got paid for it. Sometimes it wasn't much, sometimes it was a decent chunk of change. However, I never personally made a dime off it. We made enough to cover our cost of flyers, cds, new strings, gas money and the occasional new tuner, mic etc... I was happy as hell just to make enough to keep doing what I wanted without having to take money out of my own pocket to do it. That's all I could have ever really asked for. If I wanted to really make a profit, well, that's why I have a day job.
Jeff
Regular
Regular

Post by Jeff »

"The ultimate sin of any performer is contempt for the audience."

Lester Bangs
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

Post by Massage...Bored »

lbanks wrote:
Massage...Bored wrote:
Bands and musicians aren't entitled to sh*t, and if you think you are right out of the gate, your ego needs an adjustment.

I clarified my point in a later post, look for it.
b-sharpsrawk

Post by b-sharpsrawk »

Quote:

how do you make it good? just keep f*ckin doin whatever you think is good.

And the last part solves the problem you see in what way, exactly?
because saying the scene sucks is purely expressing an opinion(obviously)
if someone wants the scene to be good then they should create what they think is good. it's all very simple. sure, i think the scene sucks but the only way i am going to change that is by producing what i believe to be quality music therfore enhancing,in my opinion(obviously), the quality of the scene.
this of course is prolly the biggest reason why the scene is what it is,differing opinions on what a good time is. being the art-retarded city we are a majority of people have zero interest in experiencing anything new, they would rather see snakes on a plane at the rave (no direspect to my main man Sam L.). And with a population the size of my morning sh*t that means the minority who is actually interested in the music scene would have to all unite in order for us to notice any sort of movement. but no one wants to see left lane cruiser and take sides, at least no one i know. so all those individuals who are creatin music just for themselves just have to keep on truckin, playin to shows of 10-15 people, on a good night, with the intention of having fun.
I know my band plays straight forward rock and roll music and we have since 2001. in that time we have not only never seen another band in the fort who just plays rock and roll, but there hasnt been a radio station that caters to our sound, not even X102.3. so yea, for us the scene sucks but every now and then through just doin what we like and having fun we are able to hook up with a couple bands with same mentality and put on a damn good show. So the scene still sucks, but not for us on that night when we and a couple other bands rock the f**k out and have a great time.

if you were able to decifer that non-sensical rambling i commend you.
Haggard
Regular
Regular

Post by Haggard »

my two cents...

If you are playing in a local band with the intent of getting rich you should seriously consider a different method of making money. Try the money market accounts or possibly tax sales, they both have a sweet rate of return.

In my years of playing in bands I know 100% that I would have to claim a loss if I were looking at it as a job. Thank You
This system cannot be reformed or voted out of office because reforms and elections do not challenge the fundamental causes of injustice.

[img]http://www.wm3.org/database_images/banners/WM3chainBLACKbg.gif[/img]
sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

I agree, to a point.

I'd say if this is your job (AKA your source of income) you had better work as a professional.

I see it all the time in the field of graphic design. A kid gets a copy of photoshop, figures out a few techniques; and then thinks they are a professional designer. It takes more then the equipment and a few tricks to be a profesional. They're also the kids who don't understand when no one will pay them top dollar for their designs; when it's aparant they're not professional.

I'm not saying those kids aren't talented or have a future in design (or music) but there's more to it then just claiming to be a pro. You have to be able to back up the claim.
conley
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by conley »

Ok, my turn. For starters, Zach, I applaud your creative drive & beliefs that all of your hard work has no value to it....that's just peachy. However, if a bar is actually hiring your band to perform in their venue, don't you think that they see some sort of a value in your services? Or, do you think they just want to enjoy your musical performance? I personally believe that a bar sees some sort of a value in hiring a band to perform in their venue, so why wouldn't you see some sort of a value there? Yeah, yeah, you're not in it for the money & that's great; but, bands who have the "I'll play for free" attitude are bound to eventually hurt the payscale....that's just simple economics.

It's like saying that an artist who paints a wonderful piece should simply give it away, because they should just appreciate the experience of creating it. Yup, this person should just be happy with the experience & that's where it should end......Sorry, I disagree with that.