Take from this what you will.

Non-music discussion. Discuss things that are on your mind or things that don't have anything to do with music. Lets try to keep it clean people, there are little children present.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Take from this what you will.

Post by Oliver's Army »

NY TIMES ARTICLE HERE.
"Dear David, first off i would like to tell you that you are full of **** and did not research the zune enough to know your facts.

Continue reading.

"The following are incorrect, and not limited to: podcasts, giftcards, looks(which is an oppinion), controls, and content. Also i would like to inform you that on the day of the launch(nov 14) there is a sceduled firmware upgrade which will most likely disband the 3 by 3 rule [which limits songs beamed between Zunes to three playbacks within three days], and the zune marketplace is also to offer video content about one month after launch. In my oppinion you should be fired for wrighting such a biast article in a (somewhat)professional newspaper. Oh and in case you think i work for microsoft or have bad grammar, or something, you should know that im 15!"

The deeper we sail into the new online world of communications, the sadder I get about its future.

I'm OK with criticism, I'm fine with disagreement, I'm perfectly capable of handling angry mail. That's not the issue here (although my teenage correspondent above was, in fact, wrong about every single one of his points).

I've even accepted personal attacks as part of the job. I'm a columnist; the heat comes with the kitchen.

But what's really stunning is how hostile *ordinary* people are to each other online these days.

Slashdot and Digg.com are extremely popular sites for tech fans. Each discussion begins with the presentation of an article or Web page--and then opens up the floor for discussion.

Lately, an increasing number of the discussions devolve into name-calling and bickering. Someone might submit, say, this item to Digg:

685 diggs. "AWESOME astronomy poem." (posted by MetsFan 3 days ago)

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are.

Before long, the people's feedback begins, like this:

by baddude on 12/11/06
What's yr problem, moron. You already said it's a star, why would you then wonder what it is. Get a clue, or a life.

by neverland2 on 12/11/06
Dugg down as inaccurate. Stars do not twinkle. It's the shifting atmosphere that causes an apparent twinkle. Or were you stoned all through science class?

by mrobe on 12/11/06
yo neverland2--It's a poem, idiot. Nobody's claiming that stars twinkle. Ever heard of poetic license?
Honestly, the intellectual level of you people is right up there with a gnat's.

...and so on.

What's worse is that the concentration of the nasty people increases as the civil ones get fed up and leave.

What's going on here?

My current theories:

* On the Internet, you're anonymous. Since you don't have to face the person you're dumping on, you don't see any reason to display courtesy.

* On the Internet, you're anonymous. You worry that your comments might get lost in the shuffle, so you lay it on thick to enhance your noticeability.

* The open toxicity is all part of the political climate. We've learned from the Red state-Blue state talking heads that open hostility can pass for meaningful conversation.

* Young people who spend lots of time online are, in essence, replacing in-person social interactions with these online exchanges. With so much less experience conversing in the real world, they haven't picked up on the value of treating people civilly. That is, they haven't yet hit the stage of life when getting things like friends, a spouse and a job depend on what kind of person you are.

* Many parents haven't been teaching social skills (or haven't been around to teach them) for years, but Web 2.0 is suddenly making it apparent for the first time. ("Web 2.0" describes sites like Digg and Slashdot, where the audience itself provides material for the Web site.)

I'd give just about anything to hear what 15-year-old Josh's parents would say if they knew how little respect he holds for adults (let alone the English language). Then again, maybe they wouldn't be surprised a bit.

The real shame, though, is that the kneejerk "everyone else is an idiot" tenor is poisoning the potential the Internet once had. People used to dream of a global village, where maybe we can work out our differences, where direct communication might make us realize that we have a lot in common after all, no matter where we live or what our beliefs.

But instead of finding common ground, we're finding new ways to spit on the other guy, to push them away. The Internet is making it easier to attack, not to embrace.

Maybe as the Internet becomes as predominant as air, somebody will realize that online behavior isn't just an afterthought. Maybe, along with HTML and how to gauge a Web site's credibility, schools and colleges will one day realize that there's something else to teach about the Internet: Civility 101.
adam atherton
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by adam atherton »

bra-freakin'-vo.
tiny
Regular
Regular

Post by tiny »

Jeeze. What a maroon.

Instead of quoting a long and boring ass NY Times article (everybody knows they're just a mouthpiece for the retarded f***ing left), why don't you form an oppinion of your own? Or doesn't your grade-school education let you do that?

:lol: TIC=120%

A little civility goes a long way. Amen to the original article, and props for the post, Ollie.
TINY....
-----------------------------------
TINY TUNES Event and Entertainment Services -Mobile Music, Pro Sound, Booking and Event Planning
tinytunesdjs.com

also occasionally on 92.3 The Fort

Still waiting on confirmation of my new Harrison Square condominium purchase.
echosauce1
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by echosauce1 »

I think the problem lies in the anonymous realm. Online, people seem to grow psuedo balls because they think nobody knows who your really are. You can live out the fantasy of saying whatever you want without the possible reality of having your nose broken and a few teeth knocked out...or worse. It is sad really, and it is only getting more sad by the day. I admit, I've flamed a couple people harshly online, but only once I reached the point when I would have said it to their face personally as well. Jokes, sarcasm and light mocking are one thing, but true disregard for civility is something I fear kids these days are learning all too well. It makes me wonder what will happen when they have to face the real world someday. I'm feeling stupid and old here with my rant now.. :lol:
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

The younger generation gets heated about issues without knowing the facts. Additionally, I feel this "touchy-feely, safe-car society" doesn't beat people up enough... Seriously.

My high school class was the last one to go through freshman initiation. After several freshman had been seran wrapped to the flag pole or had skinned noses from being forced to shuffle dimes across the gym floor with their noses, the school cancelled initiation for the future incoming classes. The result was that incoming groups of students never learned to properly respect their elders... Parents are under so much pressure to never strike their children (though not striking a child's hand away from a hot stove is then neglect) and bombarded with so much Dr. Phil style nonsense about how to raise their children, some have been all but castrated as authority figures to their children.

The "safe-car" concept is that people are no longer as careful about how they die because they believe that their five-star crash rated automobiles with air bags will protect them from a dismembering accident, so many feel free to hold coffee in one hand, cell phone in the other, while steering with their knees and trying to put on make-up (with the same hand that is holding coffee). Safety has taken away personal responsibility in all too many cases!

The anonymity does, many a time, come in to play. It is much easier to become angrier at words and ideologies than at people. But what one sees on the internet is primarily made up of words and ideologies. It has become too easy for many to ignore that a person is on the other end, behind those words and ideas. I have been guilty of this as well, as many of us have been.
echosauce1
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by echosauce1 »

"It is much easier to become angrier at words and ideologies than at people. But what one sees on the internet is primarily made up of words and ideologies. It has become too easy for many to ignore that a person is on the other end, behind those words and ideas."

Me thinks this man is on to somthing here.
The Hand of Poo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by The Hand of Poo »

This happens when people are allowed to write a series of complete thoughts without being forced to deal with other people's reactions in real time. On a message board, or in an e-mail, or even whilst writing a book you aren't faced with the immediate possibility that people are going to flame you.

You see a lot less of this in real time communications like IM, video conferencing, phone converations, etc. Of course, on the flipside of this, when people are allowed to communicate whole thoughts without interaction, it's MUCH more revealing of their mindset as you don't have to deal with the bevy of fake smiles, active listening grunts and general disinterest that comes with talking directly.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

After reading the article one thing kept resonating in my head...

Some people are just assholes, no matter the circumstance.

That has been a problem longer than this whole inter-web-net thingy.
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

There is that...and the large number of anti-social personality disorders and plain-old psychotic people that have no touch with reality or any real connection to others...
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

it's MUCH more revealing of their mindset
I think this is poignantly accurate. And this is what is so concerning.

By the way, Pooh, you're an butthead! :twisted: :wink: And yes, I don't have any idea who you are and that makes it even more fun and easy to hate you.
Stop.Drop.Roll.
Jeff
Regular
Regular

Post by Jeff »

Last edited by Jeff on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hand of Poo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by The Hand of Poo »

Dagwood Lee wrote:I don't have any idea who you are and that makes it even more fun and easy to hate you.
Obviously, since you added an "h" to poo. :D
subgenius88
Regular
Regular

Post by subgenius88 »

f**k you for posting this, loser. You, sir, are a maroon. :lol:
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

.05% TIC

heheheheh