What the f**k is wrong with this person?!?!?

Non-music discussion. Discuss things that are on your mind or things that don't have anything to do with music. Lets try to keep it clean people, there are little children present.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

The_Dude wrote:And the funny thing is...it's none of either group's damn business.
Okay... So, it's none of our business if you choose to beat your girlfriend into a stupor? It's none of your business if I choose to light my dog on fire for kicks? It's none of your business if I choose to have my 9-year-old daughter killed because I'm tired of her pre-teen attitude? For those of us who are pro-life, we ardently believe that since a fetus is a human being taking its life is nothing short of murder. To not make it our business is unthinkable.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

bassjones wrote:
The_Dude wrote:And the funny thing is...it's none of either group's damn business.
Okay... So, it's none of our business if you choose to beat your girlfriend into a stupor?
Correct. Unless you know her.
bassjones wrote:It's none of your business if I choose to light my dog on fire for kicks?
Correct. It's your dog. I may have the opinion that you're a worthless prick if you do it, but whatever. It's still none of my business.
bassjones wrote:It's none of your business if I choose to have my 9-year-old daughter killed because I'm tired of her pre-teen attitude?
Correct. See the answer above.

None of this has anything to do with you.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

nobody else's business if I choose to drive down main street with an AK-47 spraying bullets everywhere?
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-

www.bradjonesbass.com
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

bassjones wrote:nobody else's business if I choose to drive down main street with an AK-47 spraying bullets everywhere?
If I'm there and/or directly affected by it, yes. Otherwise, no it's not my business.

Do you not see the trend here, Jones?
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Yeah, I think this is where I fit my views as well. Using bassjones as an example, I don't want him involved in any of my personal affairs. So, if I light my dog on fire, I am sure there are animal cruelty laws that would put me in my place, pay a fine or whatever, but I don't want bassjones getting involved. Yeah, he can hate me and voice his opinion, but it shouldn't be any of his business. Maybe use me as an example to people of like minds in his life, but to force his presence on me, which as far as I know is just a random person with a set of beliefs...well, I want none of it.

There's likely millions of physical abuse instances taking place in this world every day...while I don't agree with it, I'm not going to make it my duty to promote its awareness and get involved, UNLESS it gets to a point that is much closer to my everyday life. And even then, there is no guarantee I am going to act upon it.

Everything happens and I can either bog my life down with all the problems I witness or hear about, or I can use them to shape my own views and feelings and move on in life... If I am happy and the people close to me are happy, then I really don't feel the need to concern myself any further.
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

let me rephrase then. As a citizen, is it your business to push the government to change its laws when you feel they are unjust - i.e. slavery, abortion, voting rights, women's rights, civil rights, prohibition, etc...?
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Okay, I am a lot more receptive to that phrasing/line of thinking.

We are in a country where its supposed to be government for the people, by the people, so instead of persecuting individuals and groups of people, time is better served by pushing for regulation/law changes and getting a majority vote. That's the way this country is supposed to work, and while I don't like all the laws/regulations we have today, I'd like to think that I do have a voice, if I so choose to use it. And I'm never going to argue with majority rule, even when I am in the minority.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

that's how change happens though. Minority positions voicing their opinion, sometimes marching, sometimes even dying for it. That's why black people are no longer sleeping in shacks on plantations and forced to labor under the hot sun for 16-18 hours a day under threat of the whip or worse. that's why women have the right to vote, much to my chagrin (HEY, it's a joke, chill). that's why, eventually I believe, abortion will be outlawed for the barbaric practice that I and millions of other people believe it is.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

The other thing to consider Jones, is all the scenerios you mentioned are currently against the law.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

bassjones wrote:let me rephrase then. As a citizen, is it your business to push the government to change its laws when you feel they are unjust - i.e. slavery, abortion, voting rights, women's rights, civil rights, prohibition, etc...?
All of the laws you mentioned are fine the way they are right now, as far as I'm concerned. Find one that I may disagree with and then we'll talk.

Until that law (or lack thereof) directly affects me, I don't feel the need to waste my time supporting it or opposing it.

But that's just me. I'm more concerned with living my own life rather than trying to control someone else's.
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

The_Dude wrote:But that's just me. I'm more concerned with living my own life rather than trying to control someone else's.
Amen...

We already had restrictions on abortion for decades, they were repealed. I've wasted too many electrons on this debate, so I won't dive into it any further. you have your position, I have mine :-)

/
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

bassjones wrote:that's how change happens though. Minority positions voicing their opinion, sometimes marching, sometimes even dying for it.
Exactly. And you either stay a minority position and nothing every happens, or you eventually get to a majority and things start to change.

Get enough people behind anything, no matter how ridiculous, and you can make changes. Its just 300 million people don't often agree with each other on a single topic.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Oliver's Army wrote:The other thing to consider Jones, is all the scenerios you mentioned are currently against the law.
you make a valid point. however, it didn't used to be illegal to smack your wife/girlfriend around and it didn't used to be illegal to set your dog on fire. Killing other human beings has pretty much always been illegal, except when those human beings were considered less than human, like in slavery and abortion.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Its all subjective...go figure.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

bwohlgemuth wrote:
The_Dude wrote:But that's just me. I'm more concerned with living my own life rather than trying to control someone else's.
Amen...

We already had restrictions on abortion for decades, they were repealed. I've wasted too many electrons on this debate, so I won't dive into it any further. you have your position, I have mine :-)

/
They weren't repealed, they were overturned by a 5-4 majority of a 9 member panel of monarchs - and the majority opinion included the caveat that the decision rested on the personhood of the fetus - and furthermore viability of the fetus should be considered in laws regarding timetables - such as banning post 1st trimester abortions... If it is indeed a person their ruling should be overturned and abortion should be made illegal nationwide.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com