St. Patty's Day, why I love it.

Non-music discussion. Discuss things that are on your mind or things that don't have anything to do with music. Lets try to keep it clean people, there are little children present.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

poopstains
SuperStar
SuperStar

St. Patty's Day, why I love it.

Post by poopstains »

I think this could be my favorite holiday of all. Not just cause I love Guiness or corn beef but due to its universalism.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people have no idea what the holiday is, or what it is for, but still raise a beer in its honor. It doesn't exclude people, while it is, in theory, a Chrisitan holiday it does not matter whether you are, to celebrate.

It can be loved by all creeds, religions, or nationalities. It is a holiday embraced and loved by all. This is why I love it, not to mention my love for the Irish culture as a whole.

So what are your thoughts of St. Patty's Day.
rezin
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal

Post by rezin »

my grandma makes good corned beef with potatoes, onions and white rice.
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
poopstains
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by poopstains »

Corn beef, cabbage, potatos, and carrots at my mom's
rezin

Post by rezin »

yuck.

im puerto rican.
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
GoDownProductions
Regular
Regular

Post by GoDownProductions »

I'm Irish and I don't like corned beef, cabbage, cooked carrots or Guiness. I am such an outcast!
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

I think what you mean to say is that the artificial, watered-down, Lucky Charms version of St Patrick's Day ("Kiss me, I'm a drunk leprechaun with a shamrock on my begorrah!") mysteriously celebrated by American Protestants is what "doesn't exclude people," and can somehow "be loved by all creeds, religions, or nationalities."

The celebration of St. Patrick is, in fact, a celebration of a Catholic saint who is credited with driving the pagans out of Ireland (the "snakes" in popular parlance), and the wearing of green (the traditional Catholic color) was a intended as show of force, letting the Orangemen (Protestants) know that we were not to be trifled with. How very inclusive and universal!

Americans hoisting a green beer to St. Paddy is marketing construct, no different than convincing Americans that they need to celebrate a holiday of a people they slaughtered by the thousands in order to steal the land they had lived on for hundreds of years (Cinco de Mayo).

All anybody in America knows about any of misappropriated holidays is that there is a general edict that one must now drink a lot of beer. That makes it good.

"Me hate history. Me like beer!"
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

I love Irish culture as well...the pagan part most of all. I think it's too bad the Christians won in Ireland as well as in Europe. Blame it on Constantine.
Stop.Drop.Roll.
poopstains
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by poopstains »

Silencio wrote:I think what you mean to say is that the artificial, watered-down, Lucky Charms version of St Patrick's Day ("Kiss me, I'm a drunk leprechaun with a shamrock on my begorrah!") mysteriously celebrated by American Protestants is what "doesn't exclude people," and can somehow "be loved by all creeds, religions, or nationalities."

The celebration of St. Patrick is, in fact, a celebration of a Catholic saint who is credited with driving the pagans out of Ireland (the "snakes" in popular parlance), and the wearing of green (the traditional Catholic color) was a intended as show of force, letting the Orangemen (Protestants) know that we were not to be trifled with. How very inclusive and universal!

Americans hoisting a green beer to St. Paddy is marketing construct, no different than convincing Americans that they need to celebrate a holiday of a people they slaughtered by the thousands in order to steal the land they had lived on for hundreds of years (Cinco de Mayo).

All anybody in America knows about any of misappropriated holidays is that there is a general edict that one must now drink a lot of beer. That makes it good.

"Me hate history. Me like beer!"
I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people have no idea what the holiday is, or what it is for, but still raise a beer in its honor. It doesn't exclude people, while it is, in theory, a Chrisitan holiday
I know the history of the holiday. It is March 17 because that is the day he died. He fled Ireland following imprisonment, and returned to preach christianity.

"Me like beer and history!!"
subgenius88
Regular
Regular

Re: St. Patty's Day, why I love it.

Post by subgenius88 »

poopstains wrote: So what are your thoughts of St. Patty's Day.
I don't see it as universal - I just see it as a catholic observance.