Venyx at C-Street March 2nd

Promote your show or talk about a show you saw or plan on seeing. Also make sure to post your gigs in our calendar section.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

heheheheh
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

Well EXCUUUUSE MEEEEE!
Classic. You must be close to old like me.

Anyway, I'm no "poster guy". I don't "do Photoshop" or "Clip Art...I don't "draw with crayons" or "make good stick figures".

Maybe I'm just a simple caveman but shouldn't there be a date and location on there?

Just giving you a reaction is all. Visually, it reminds me of a 1950's horror movie poster. Sorry man. It just ain't good.

Think of my post as "loooking out for the quality of the band" 8)
Stop.Drop.Roll.
Sankofa
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Sankofa »

jewlee138 wrote:Twist of Cain, just about everything LLC covers
zenmandan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by zenmandan »

Uh....there is a date on the top....in big bold letters. As far as a location, it's in a thread about us playing at C-street and the posters are going up at C-street. :wink:

I'm not a big fan of generic posters where you just fill in the date and time. I like each gig to have a poster of its own that goes up in just that venue. If I put a poster up at C-street, I don't need to say were playing at C-street, right? I felt it was implied.

I guess you could look at it like this....it's ugly, so people will look at it ike they do the freaky tattooed guy at the circus, or, since you said it was ugly, they'll check it out like they do the bearded lady!
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

The reason to include all the info is that some friends and supporters will forward them, repost in other forums or MySpace pages/bulletins.

That, and you will need to create only one version of it.
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

there is a date on the top....
Zing! Insert foot. My bad.

And the whole "it's-so-ugly-I-can't-stop-staring" phenom could happen in this case. :wink:

Any press is good press, no?
Stop.Drop.Roll.
zenmandan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by zenmandan »

OK. Thanks very much for the suggestions guys. :D Here is the new and (hopefully) somewhat improved version that should be suitable for reposting, etc., or for staring at cuz it's so damn nasty. :shock: :wink:

Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

Nice improvements. Way to go. I mean, it's no "Ollie" poster, but it's much more pleasing to the eye. :lol:
Stop.Drop.Roll.
zenmandan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by zenmandan »

Ollie IS the man when it comes to posters. :D
So, Darren...will we see you there? Mark? Anyone else?
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

So, Darren...will we see you there?
I'd say about 5% chance. 1) I hate the sound in that place. God awful. 2) The ex is out of town and I have to watch kids.

But I'd be happy to catch you guys some other time.
Stop.Drop.Roll.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Actually Ando IS THE MAN for flyers.

And Kudos to Dan for *even* promoting the gig.

Too many wait until the last minute to promote and then it's too late... and not enough.

No one is going to remember this flyer after the gig, only that the show kicked butt.

A few thoughts though?....

ALWAYS include a web address or MySpace info.
Give someone a chance to look you up.

Also any contact info.

A small taste of what expect, even if its an abbreviated list of the artists you cover.

Date/time/location doest always sell your image to the uninformed.

"A fun night of your favorite claasic pop-rock, new wave, dance and funk delivered by the area's tastiest party band. Fronted by two of the hottest female singers to keep your backside shaking and the entertainment flowing".

Or whatever.
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

Ando is Luke.

Ollie is Obe.

I like them both.

I have both.
Stop.Drop.Roll.
zenmandan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by zenmandan »

So much like the poster at the very beginning of the thread. Almost all the info you mentioned is on the first poster, which is the main poster at C-street right now. The most recent poster was simply meant as a follow up to the first to let everyone know about the Derby Girls.

I put up fliers about two weeks or so before a show at the location of the gig. They typically include everything you mentioned except where we are playing, since I wouldn't putting up a poster for Piere's in C-street. I didn't put a time on the poster because, as many of you know, shows never start on time there anyways. A 10 o'clock show typically doesn't get going until 10:30 or later, so I left it out. I suppose I could put something like "10:30ish" on there...could be fun.

I never put out posters, table tents, etc. that have anything on them about other locations we are playing, either. I feel that the venue is paying us to play in their house, not to promote someone elses. If people want to see us again, they can check out myspace or whatever (provided I remember to put it on the poster!). With as much responsbility as they're putting on the bands to bring people into the gig, I don't think they appreciate it when we promote someplace else, so I don't. That's why I don't make up a generic poster with several dates and locations on it.

I also don't like...and no offense to those of you that do this...having just one of the same poster for every gig where you just pencil in the date and time. When I see the same poster at different joints, I typically overlook it because I've seen it before. I like to make up several different posters for every gig. Different posters catch people's eye. Plus I think it looks much more professional to have something made up for the gig you are playing rather than to use the same thing with a date and time written in magic marker.
Leon

Post by Leon »

looks cool, Dan!

it's kinda nice having your band's promoter IN the band :D
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Oliver's Army wrote:
"A fun night of your favorite claasic pop-rock, new wave, dance and funk delivered by the area's tastiest party band. Fronted by two of the hottest female singers to keep your backside shaking and the entertainment flowing".

I like, especially the "two of the hottest female singers" part... thanks :wink: