Personal Standards in the Work Place

Non-music discussion. Discuss things that are on your mind or things that don't have anything to do with music. Lets try to keep it clean people, there are little children present.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

I worked at McD but I quit because burgers are icky
I loaded lumber until I got a splinter
I worked in customer service until I got yelled at
I was a cop until someone called me a pig
I worked in a warehouse but cardboad is made from trees
I roofed homes until I broke a sweat
I worked in IT until someone got a virus that was hard to fix
I worked in a bar until I had to deal with a loud drunk
I worked in a fatory but stuff was heavy
I volunteered at a hospital until I saw a sick person

(insert your job here and a weak-azz reason to quit that is directly related the the job you took)

I was a graphic designer until I had to make an ad for a moron

WTF people?

Yeah go ahead Ando. Quit your job.
I am sure you wont run into another moron, ever.

Weak. Does NO ONE have ANY work ethic?

Sarcasm NOT directed at Ando.
Last edited by Oliver's Army on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conley
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by conley »

You have to do your "JOB".......that's why they call it a "JOB" - or sometimes it's also called "WORK".........This is also why they do not call this particular task "PLAYTIME".

For better or for worse, until you go into business for yourself, welcome to the real world my friend.....
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

It actually gets worse when you go into business for yourself, IMO.
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
tiny
Regular
Regular

Post by tiny »

deek wrote:It actually gets worse when you go into business for yourself, IMO.
+1,000.

Quit, Ando, then go to each person's house that gave you that advice (I'll be conveniently out of town) and mooch a bed and food from them, since they're all career counselors, and should be able to back up their advice.

Suck it up, dude. Everybody's gotta eat a s*** sandwich sometimes. Life ain't all cherries and cheesecake.

Save the moron's columns...and when you get to be rich and famous, you can trot them out and say, "Can you believe I had to do this shyt?"

Just my .02.
Last edited by tiny on Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TINY....
-----------------------------------
TINY TUNES Event and Entertainment Services -Mobile Music, Pro Sound, Booking and Event Planning
tinytunesdjs.com

also occasionally on 92.3 The Fort

Still waiting on confirmation of my new Harrison Square condominium purchase.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

The word for today, is JOB. J-O-B.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA1WMhojTkc[/youtube]
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

I stand by my advice.

I am very bull headed and I get what I want and I do what I want. If something doesn't make sense or I don't agree with it, then I don't do it. It has nothing to do with not wanting to do my job, or having a poor work ethic.

I have an aggressive personality, I am honest, and I don't have a problem telling someone to kiss my d*ck, whether it is a co-worker or a customer.

I have a great job that I am very good at and it is because I have always stood up for what I believe is right.
http://www.facebook.com/sevesd
http://www.myspace.com/sevesd
subgenius88
Regular
Regular

Post by subgenius88 »

Oliver's Army wrote:
Do it... its your job.
That's great advice, do something you're morally opposed to because it's your job.

Better advice - get a job to which you are not morally opposed.

Not quite as good advice, but relevant nonetheless, is that of Bill Hicks:

Bill Hicks wrote: By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing, kill yourself. Thank you, thank you. Just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day they'll take root. I don't know. You try. You do what you can. Kill yourselves. Seriously though, if you are, do. No really, there's no rationalisation for what you do, and you are Satan's little helpers, OK? Kill yourselves, seriously. You're the ruiner of all things good. Seriously, no, this is not a joke. "There's gonna be a joke coming..." There's no forking joke coming, you are Satan's spawn, filling the world with bile and garbage, you are ****ed and you are forking us, kill yourselves, it's the only way to save your forking soul. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show.

"You know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar, that's a big dollar, a lot of people are feeling that indignation, we've done research, huge market. He's doing a good thing." Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scumbags, quit putting a godamn dollar sign on every forking thing on this planet!
subgenius88
Regular
Regular

Post by subgenius88 »

Oliver's Army wrote:I worked at McD but I quit because burgers are icky
I loaded lumber until I got a splinter
I worked in customer service until I got yelled at
I was a cop until someone called me a pig
I worked in a warehouse but cardboad is made from trees
I roofed homes until I broke a sweat
I worked in IT until someone got a virus that was hard to fix
I worked in a bar until I had to deal with a loud drunk
I worked in a fatory but stuff was heavy
I volunteered at a hospital until I saw a sick person
None of your examples relate at all to the OP scenario, as none of those have moral/ethical/personal belief implications.
WTF people? Yeah go ahead Ando. Quit your job.
I am sure you wont run into another moron, ever.

Weak. Does NO ONE have ANY work ethic?
That' is quite a leap. Isn't having the conviction to only keep employment that does not compromise your principles a work ethic? To me, it's the most important, without which there are no others.

Have you no conviction, morals or backbone? Will you do anything for money?

On the basis of your posts in this thread, I think that it is less of a leap to conclude that you would.
subgenius88
Regular
Regular

Post by subgenius88 »

sevesd93 wrote: I have a great job that I am very good at and it is because I have always stood up for what I believe is right.
Right on.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

My examples were scenarios where people quit and complain. Don't work on a farm if you don't like the smell.

No one was forcing Ando to go to church, or become a Christian. THOSE are scenarios where he has the right to make a stand.

When a job forces you to do something on a personal level, then speak up.

Lose weight or your fired. Start going to church. Stop smoking. Marry within your race.

He was putting together an ad for a preacher. You WILL do what the client wants, and yes, that's his job...like it or not.

It his boss, or the owners decision to stop the ad or re-think its elements, not Andos.

The scripture he was putting together were just words. Just another element for an advertisement.

He doesn't have to like it, or believe it. But this is not something you storm out of a job over. There was nothing illegal about the ad

To move to another position to do the same job will only expose him to the same situation at another location.

Pick your battles. Welcome to the real world. No one owes you anything and they don't give a rats butt if you are annoyed by the occasional ad you are asked to create.

Heat>kitchen.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

SubG -

IF you *really* didn't get the gist of my post i will rephrase it.

DONT:

Work at at a restaurant if you belong to PETA
Work at a lumber yard if your a tree hugger
Work in a bar if you are a member of MADD
Work in the sporting goods department if you hate guns.
Work in retail clothing if you are against overseas practices.

See where I am going here?

You cant complain about elements of your job if you are *morally* against it. You would be totally clueless if you are surprised by the very essence of the job. Just don't take the job.

This advertisement is a one-off for Ando. He will possibly run into another situation just like this. It is his dilemma if he really is that shocked and disgusted by what he is asked to do. He needs to re-evaluate his career path.

I can see your side of this however. If Ando made it clear that he was a militant agnostic and they forced him to ONLY produce ads for the Religion section of the paper despite position (or because of it), then PERHAPS he should consider a new job.

We all have elements of our jobs that annoy and offend. Its when the bad outweighs the good, then bail.
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

If I was Ando (wow, that would be a nightmare) and in this position, I'd laugh about it. Share it with a few friends at lunch, laugh about it some more and then maybe hear a few other stories about dumbasses we have to directly or indirectly deal with while working.

While I somewhat understand people having such strong views, I believe they are caused by one of two things: 1) having way to big an ego and feeling like everyone is wrong if they don't believe in the same thing you do or 2) there is a major part of their life that is lacking and this "fight" is all they have to hold onto.
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

1) having way to big an ego and feeling like everyone is wrong if they don't believe in the same thing you do or 2) there is a major part of their life that is lacking and this "fight" is all they have to hold onto.
Bingo!

I could quit my job and go out and become a full time musician....the only thing stopping me is.

a). I don't like living in a cardboard box.
b). I definitely wouldn't want my family living with me in said box.

We all do things we aren't thrilled with. If it's that "morally repugnant", quit and go somewhere else. You're still going to be served a sh*t sandwich no matter where you go...
GoDownProductions
Regular
Regular

Post by GoDownProductions »

I can relate to this. I work for a Peterbilt dealership. I have to deal with a lot of hillbilly drivers and redneck mechanics. I have heard my share of "n*gger" jokes, "dirty and/or lazy Mexican" comments and so on. You just have to make them realize how stupid they are. It's actually kind of fun to see them do a 180 after they spew out some racist joke and realize you aren't laughing. Hahaha It's always "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I'm not racist or anything, I actually have black friends". Yes, people REALLY do use that line. I guess what I'm saying is just make the best of it.