My new toy!!

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Austin_Taunt
Regular
Regular

My new toy!!

Post by Austin_Taunt »

Just wanted to show this baby off!! Its a Gretsch Tennessee Rose. Thing plays amazing but Im still dealing with the stock pickups. May put some mini humbuckers in there. Its going in the shop today to get the tuners/bridge/nut replaced so it will stay in tune for an entire set. It will be at Guitar Infirmary in Auburn all week if anyone wants to give it a test drive. Just say Austin said it was okay!!!

jschall84
Regular
Regular

Post by jschall84 »

sexy... what stock pick ups came in it? if theyre tv jones or dynasonics , i have a home for them
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Why would you buy such a guitar and even think about ruining its prized characteristic sound by replacing the pickups?

I mean, obviously you can do it if you want to, but if you wanted put mini-buckers in a hollowbody you could have saved many hundreds by buying and modifying some POS Ibanez Artcore and gotten the same result. Don't do it.
Austin_Taunt
Regular
Regular

Post by Austin_Taunt »

It has hilotron pickups in it now. Im going to give them a shot for a couple months to see if I will get used to them. The tone is a little muddy for my liking as of now, but I want to wait it out. It does sound pretty bitchin thru my Matchless...I just want it to be versatile. Time will tell!
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

Gretsch Hollowbodies are a true thing of beauty. Congrats!
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
Bjart Sod
Regular
Regular

Post by Bjart Sod »

Austin_Taunt wrote:The tone is a little muddy for my liking as of now, but I want to wait it out.
I don't know if you've played hollow bodies before, but you know you can't expect one to sound like a Les Paul no matter what pickups are on it, right? You really have to adjust the way you play to the tone of the instrument to make them work. That, or completely bury the characteristic sound with knob twiddling.
[i]Bound his hands, slit his throat
Three Masons stole his life away
And dumped him in the cold Ontario[/i]
Austin_Taunt
Regular
Regular

Post by Austin_Taunt »

This is my third hollowbody...Try out a TN Rose and maybe you will understand. I like to use the characteristics of a hollowbody to enhance my tone. Its personal preference. Just like most people are happy with them stock and the third day I have it I put it in the shop for a new bridge, tuners, and have that stupid "zero fret" replaced with a graphite nut. I got the same grief when I put PRS pickups in my Gibson. When I get done with it you are more than welcome to give it a test drive!!
boxofrocks
Regular
Regular

Post by boxofrocks »

Silencio wrote:Why would you buy such a guitar and even think about ruining its prized characteristic sound by replacing the pickups?

I mean, obviously you can do it if you want to, but if you wanted put mini-buckers in a hollowbody you could have saved many hundreds by buying and modifying some POS Ibanez Artcore and gotten the same result. Don't do it.
I have to agree I have an art core solid body, after dropping in my PU's and some tweaking it's a monster.
Austin_Taunt
Regular
Regular

Post by Austin_Taunt »

Still...the neck, tone controls, and simulated f-holes sold me on this guitar. It is far superior than an Ibanez and Im sure that it differs alot more than pickups.
Bjart Sod
Regular
Regular

Post by Bjart Sod »

I was just checking. I've seen a lot of folks pick up either of my archtops and try to treat them like any old flattop/solidbody.
[i]Bound his hands, slit his throat
Three Masons stole his life away
And dumped him in the cold Ontario[/i]