FOOD :: Chuck Wagon BBQ

Post by cwallace »

Post experiences and Reviews here.

Please read the rules before posting
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

They are located in the old LEE's chicken building on State and Hobson just down from Parkview Hospital.

They are a previous Rib Fest winner also.

I finally got the chance to head in here today.

Though the prices are a little high they are not TOO high. I got a good size plate of ribs and two sides for under $12.

The ribs were very good and not chewy or tough as some ribs can be. The sauce had a very good and unique flavor. Glad to see a local business making something good for themselves.

Which brings me to another point:

Apparently the city and the health dept. are getting on them about cooking out in the parking lot under the shelter. It is great exposure for them to be out there and I am sure it is 'competition' that made a complaint. No one had a problem with them proposing it...only once it was running and many moths later did the city start complaining.

The city has decided to limit them to being able to cook out there 10 days out of a month...stupid...Are they only supposed to be open TEN days as well? Who knows..

Anyway...they are getting people to sign a petition to keep them cooking out there and probably ultimately in business. So if you get a chance swing in there for lunch or dinner and check them out...let us know how you like it and don't forget to sign the petition.

Chris
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

cwallace wrote:Which brings me to another point:

Apparently the city and the health dept. are getting on them about cooking out in the parking lot under the shelter. It is great exposure for them to be out there and I am sure it is 'competition' that made a complaint. No one had a problem with them proposing it...only once it was running and many moths later did the city start complaining.

The city has decided to limit them to being able to cook out there 10 days out of a month...stupid...Are they only supposed to be open TEN days as well? Who knows..

Anyway...they are getting people to sign a petition to keep them cooking out there and probably ultimately in business. So if you get a chance swing in there for lunch or dinner and check them out...let us know how you like it and don't forget to sign the petition.

Chris
My problem...they only accept cash. It's 2007...step on board and allow debit/credit cards. The one time I decided to stop in there, I had to turn around because I had no cash on me. Hopefully (and I'm guessing it is) it's just a temporary thing.

Also...in regards to the city...from what I've read on the Journal Gazette board from other posters...the owners of Chuck Wagon knew about the whole cooking outside thing and even signed saying they acknowledge it. I forget the details and hell, it may be a rumor, but that's what I read.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

Here's what I read...

http://jordan.fortwayne.com/cgi-bin/yab ... 2;start=15
Sorry.. I'm with the city.. if they told him he'd be limited and he STILL got the permit it's his fault, end of story, no one to blame but himself. This is like the guy who builds the house in a swamp because it's cheaper, then complains when his house sinks.

It's a stupid rule, I don't argue that, but if he knew ahead of time and still went ahead, he's an idiot and has no one to blame but himself.

Get the off-site permit. I can't imagine that the city wouldn't allow him to switch. Put the charcoal cooker on wheels and do what the other places did, leave it there, abuse the loophole.

All this talk of people losing their jobs.. had he got the right permits they wouldn't be worrying about it..

The health department is the one enforcing this, not the cops. They don't bust drug houses, come on.
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

Good call...

Yeah...if he knew then it's his fault. He needs to get on the loophole bandwagon..:)

I forgot about the cash thing. I brushed it off thinking it WAS a temporary thing and they were just 'down' for a bit or something. I usually carry cash so it wasn't a big deal to me.

They will definitely need to change that and soon...

Chris
GoDownProductions
Regular
Regular

Post by GoDownProductions »

Legal issues aside.. that place has some damn good ribs!
adam atherton
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by adam atherton »

cwallace wrote:
perhaps the reason for the health dept to get involved? :)

i agree on the whole "cash only" thing. my guitar player and i went in to get some ribs last summer when they were next to Acme, and we only had about $10 between us.

he gave us a rack for what cash we had.

never mind they were good as hell, but that is just flat out kind.
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

legal issues aside

Decent ribs.

still remember the pig on State St waving. :)

Less is always more
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

WBOB wrote: still remember the pig on State St waving. :)

Dont call me that.

:wink:
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

Oliver's Army wrote:
WBOB wrote: still remember the pig on State St waving. :)

Dont call me that.

:wink:
E State not W. State..... :wink: :wink:

Less is always more
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

You have to take something other than cash...in my eyes..if you are an 'established' business and are not taking anything except cash...your shady...there is something your NOT telling someone somewhere...if you know what I mean..:)

They need to hook up a CC machine...fire one of the 8 people standing around and you could afford the machine..:) lol...ok harsh...but still...a 1.69% per transaction fee is a small price to pay for...well...BUSINESS...

God knows Fleek would throw you over the top if he could get 'credit' there...:)

Chris
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

cwallace wrote:God knows Fleek would throw you over the top if he could get 'credit' there...:)

Chris
You can bet your girly little ass I would.
TaylorF
Regular
Regular

Post by TaylorF »

I love chuckwagon! They're service sucks tho!
iammarky
Regular
Regular

Post by iammarky »

yummy
"You know I'd give you everything I've got for a little peace of mind"
flapjacks
RockStar
RockStar

Post by flapjacks »

pretty much everything besides their ribs are doo doo. But those are some AWESOME ribs.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4453/davidhasselhoff2gc.jpg[/img][/url]

David hasselhoff, a rocket of dissapointment