More anti-smoking nazi nonsense

To keep the music chat from being un-interupted send all political opinons here. This is fortwayneMUSIC.com after all.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

More anti-smoking nazi nonsense

Post by bassjones »

ARGH!! First rule of American Politicians infringing upon your civil liberties. "It's all about protecting the children." Somebody duct tape my head together before it explodes!
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/09/D8MHRQEO1.html
Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars

Jan 09 11:04 AM US/Eastern

BANGOR, Maine (AP) -- The Bangor City Council approved a measure Monday that prohibits people from smoking in vehicles when children are present.
When the law goes into effect next week, Bangor will become the first municipality in Maine to have such a law. Similar statewide measures have been adopted in Arkansas and Louisiana and are under consideration in several other states.

People who smoke with children present in the confined space of a car or truck might as well be deliberately trying to kill those children, said City Councilor Patricia Blanchette, who is a smoker.

"Let's step up to the plate and lead; our children are worth the fight," she said.

The ordinance, which was approved by a 6-3 vote, applies to any motor vehicles on any public roads within the city. Violators face fines of up to $50.

An amendment that was added Monday to the original proposal makes the violation a primary offense, rather than a secondary offense. That means police can pull over vehicles if they see somebody smoking with anybody under 18 in the vehicle; if it were a secondary offense, police would have to stop the vehicle for some other reason, such as speeding.

Several residents, doctors and representatives from the Bangor Region Chamber of Commerce and the Fusion Bangor development group spoke in favor of the ordinance.

Pediatrician Robert Holmberg said the evidence is "incontrovertible" that exposure to cigarette smoke causes medical disorders in children, including asthma, bronchitis, ear infections and heart disease.

"Children are the most in need of the protection by public policy, because they can't protect themselves," he said.

But the ordinance also had its critics.

Councilor Susan Hawes, who voted against the law, said the police department should devote its energy to more important issues. There's already too much government intervention in people's lives, she said.

Aaron Prill of Bangor told the council that the ordinance was a "feel- good option" that was not intended to protect children but rather to "moralize" against smokers. Most smokers have enough common sense not to smoke around children, he said.
___
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

I actually agree with the law. I see too many hillbilly f*cks in their cars with the windows rolled up and a car seat with their infant in the back seat. Ticketing them isn't ENOUGH punishment. They should be repeatedly kicked in the groin so they don't breed ever again.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

The_Dude wrote:I actually agree with the law. I see too many hillbilly f*cks in their cars with the windows rolled up and a car seat with their infant in the back seat. Ticketing them isn't ENOUGH punishment. They should be repeatedly kicked in the groin so they don't breed ever again.
Kicking and beating idiot parents I can agree with. More laws infringing on civil liberties, not so much.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-

www.bradjonesbass.com
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

I'm with Dude on this one. Some kids need
protection from their idiot parents.

The local proposal on banning smoking comes
closer to infringement of civil liberties than this does.

Less is always more
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

WBOB wrote:I'm with Dude on this one. Some kids need

In their car??????? The car that they pay $300/month for? What's next? Their home? no smoking if you have kiddies?
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

The_Dude wrote:I actually agree with the law. I see too many hillbilly f*cks in their cars with the windows rolled up and a car seat with their infant in the back seat. Ticketing them isn't ENOUGH punishment. They should be repeatedly kicked in the groin so they don't breed ever again.

Same here...if you can't look out for your kids first and foremost you don't need rights...

Chris
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

bassjones wrote:

In their car??????? The car that they pay $300/month for? What's next? Their home? no smoking if you have kiddies?
Yeah yeah yeah!

I know,... I'm dead tired of....

"but it's for the children" also.

This can segue into seatbelts, baby seats, blah blah blah also.

Less is always more
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

bassjones wrote:

Who cares if they pay that much for their car...and ANYWAY...if they are paying that much for their car they probably aren't hardcore smokers or even smoke much in that vehicle...it is to mostly prevent the ignorance hillbillies that dude is talking about...a small confined space and a small kid with smoke is NOT a good combination...

I would amend the law to state that those SAME idiot parents should be REQUIRED to smoke with the windows up...might increase their chances of death...thus ridding us of the ignorance that much quicker...

Chris
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

I agree that it's an infringement upon personal rights but you HAVE to look past that and do what's right for the kid who has no control over whether or not his/her parents smoke. Someone has to step in and GIVE the child rights even though they're violating the adult's right to smoke in his/her vehicle.
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Hillbillies? Wow you guys are talkin' some hateful chit here. What about African Americans, or Latin Americans etc...

Lets see just how many ethnic groups we can bash while we pretend to be holier than thou.

With lineage from south, I find the slur "hillbilly" pretty offensive. It seems to be the one ethnic group in this intolerant country that it is open season to discriminate against. Just because you're from the south doesn't make you uneducated, racist, or uncivilized.

For the record though, I say screw the smokers. I'm tired of having my lungs polluted by their inconsiderate asses. Sorry for the brief hi-jack.
Last edited by Hutnick on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

When does it end?????

If you are smoking in front of your kids, you should be kicked in the groin.

If you are feeding your kids a happy meal, you should be kicked in the groin.

If you aren't buying your kid Nike Shocks and hurting their psyche, you should be kicked in the groin.

Listen up people.....

As a child, you have no "right" to have a perfect childhood. You should have your friends and family help you and keep you safe.

As an adult (especially those without children) you have no right to enforce onerous laws upon myself when it comes to raising my kids.

People keep bitching that we live in an evil empire under Bush, but then the same people want the government to step in an make MORE laws restricting what I can do. Make up your frigging mind...
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I think I love you.

also none of the government's damn business either way
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

bassjones wrote:[

Kicking and beating idiot parents I can agree with. More laws infringing on civil liberties, not so much.

Think? I KNOW I love him!

Above quote is among your top ten as well, Jonez
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
stevel

Post by stevel »

I'm all for kicking people in the groin... but I digress.

Went to the City Council meeting Tuesday, where people got to spout off about a possible smoking ban.

Most amusing moments:

Constant hacking from the smokers
Non-comunicative anti-smoking speeches

Best of all: People from BOTH sides compared their ideals, goals, whatever, to the 911 terrorist attacks. Democracy in action, but it beats the alternative. God bless America.
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

Hutnick wrote:Hillbillies? Wow you guys are talkin' some hateful chit here. What about African Americans, or Latin Americans etc...

Lets see just how many ethnic groups we can bash while we pretend to be holier than thou.

With lineage from south, I find the slur "hillbilly" pretty offensive. It seems to be the one ethnic group in this intolerant country that it is open season to discriminate against. Just because you're from the south doesn't make you uneducated, racist, or uncivilized.

For the record though, I say screw the smokers. I'm tired of having my lungs polluted by their inconsiderate asses. Sorry for the brief hi-jack.
Coming to the defense of 'hillbillies' cracks me up...

Chris