Pentagon lists homosexuality as disorder

To keep the music chat from being un-interupted send all political opinons here. This is fortwayneMUSIC.com after all.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Pentagon lists homosexuality as disorder

Post by sharkmansix »

WASHINGTON - A Pentagon document classifies homosexuality as a mental disorder, decades after mental health experts abandoned that position.

The document outlines retirement or other discharge policies for service members with physical disabilities, and in a section on defects lists homosexuality alongside mental retardation and personality disorders.
*slaps forehead* Yikes, yikes, yikes. Pathetic.
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

Post by Massage...Bored »

I thought they stopped referring to it as that in the 50's?
Sankofa
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Sankofa »

How much did those toilet seats cost?
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
7WetCigarettes
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by 7WetCigarettes »

there's one more sign that the government is putting their time and our money into too many ridiculous "issues". "f**k global warming! Let's concentrate making the gays more outcast than they already are!"

it is completely mind boggling where our priorities are right now.
music, cubs, work, eat, sleep....repeat.....
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

Post by Massage...Bored »

Arkface wrote:
Massage...Bored wrote:I thought they stopped referring to it as that in the 50's?

funny enough, at least the DSM III (psychiatric disorder bible: Diagnostic... Statisti... Manual) has a reformed, more euphemistic version of "exhibiting homosexual tendencies is a disorder." Of course the DSM says everything is a disorder. I have an "attacking authoritative texts" disorder. I dont know about DSM IV or DSM IV TR.
I fell asleep in my intro. psych. course when my prof. (thats a lot of abbrev.) was talking about those. I guess that's one of the reasons I got a D in that.
Bjart Sod
Regular
Regular

Post by Bjart Sod »

There are a lot of problems with the DSM, but homosexuality was removed in the early 70s. This wasn't - and still isn't - a unanimous position by psychiatrists and psychologists.
[i]Bound his hands, slit his throat
Three Masons stole his life away
And dumped him in the cold Ontario[/i]
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Bjart Sod wrote:There are a lot of problems with the DSM, but homosexuality was removed in the early 70s. This wasn't - and still isn't - a unanimous position by psychiatrists and psychologists.
Many psychiatrists and psychologists believe it was removed due to political pressure and not based on sound medical science. I'm not saying I agree, but it's not fair to classify anyone who doesn't agree with the change as a homophobic, bigoted hatemonger either. At least medically speaking, it's still very much an open question.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
heaven's chimney

Post by heaven's chimney »

In order to justify it biologically, you'd have to justify heterosexuality biologically - the need for procreation isn't enough. But the DSM is really culturally biased. As far as being removed, I'm pretty sure there's a more conservative spin in the 3rd edition. I'll get the quote later.
Morphine Child
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Morphine Child »

I read a lot of studies about it in Personality theory which showed the social and biological sides of it. Some of the social arguments seemed a little absurd and far fetched to me, but I do remember reading a few biological studies that were interesting. One of them showed a study where 10 homosexual male cadaver brains were studied and a slight variation in the brain was found compared to that of a heterosexual male brain. Non-conclusive, but interesting either way.

I would see how homosexuality could be COMPARED with a mental disorer, in that they're both genetic, and not of the norm (in our culture). In some cultures men have sex with young boys as a rite to manhood, and in some cultures men have sex with men as a form of birth control. Yet nothing is thought of it because they don't have a bible that says it's wrong, and that's their tradition.
"My friend says he wants to die. He's in a band, they sound like Pearl Jam, the clothes are all black and the music is crap."

Steven Wilson

NoteScribe: Premier [url=http://www.notescribe.net]Note Software[/url]
Bjart Sod
Regular
Regular

Post by Bjart Sod »

Other prominent disorders no one (or few) would question have a biological origin or vulnerability. Schizophrenia, for example.

As Mr. Jones said, politics actually had a lot to do with the change. Its a question of whether something being a disorder means it should be cured, or whether terms like condition might yield better approaches. Its more than just a name, it reflects a huge division in psychiatry.

Its like being intersexed. A perfectly natural phenomenon. But your average family physician will fix the "problem" without even telling the parents, although lawsuits may see that changed someday.
[i]Bound his hands, slit his throat
Three Masons stole his life away
And dumped him in the cold Ontario[/i]
heaven's chimney

from The Mismeasure of Woman by Carol Tavris:
Further, the APA has acknowledged that some "mental disorders" have a social origin and that they properly do not belong in the DSM. When the APA first dropped homosexuality from its list of official Sexual Disorders, it decided to maintain a category called Ego-Dystonic Homosexuality, referring to homosexuals who were unhappy or conflicted about their sexual orientation. In 1987, the DSM-III-R banished even that variation, as well it should have, when its compilers realized that "In the United STates almost all people who are homosexual first go through a phase in which their homosexuality is ego-dystonic." In making this change, the DSM-III-R was acknowledging that it is society's discomfort with and outright hatred toward homosexuals that can create their conflicts, not a mental disorder. (Nevertheless, the DSM-III-R couldn't let the matter go completely. Under a category called Sexual Disorder Not Otherwise Specified, one symptom continues to be "persistent and marked distress about one's sexual orientation.") Yet if a black woman came to therapy with persistent and marked distress about being black in a white world, the origin of her conflict would not, should not, be located within her psyche. There is no mental disorder called "ego-dystonic race identity."

(that typing was some serious labour!)

Sir Dude wrote:
Some of the social arguments seemed a little absurd and far fetched to me
I'd say most emotional disorders are of a "social" (and cognitive) nature rather than "biological." It's really hard to say when our society drives people flippin crazy as flip.
Morphine Child
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Morphine Child »

heaven's chimney wrote: Sir Dude wrote:
Some of the social arguments seemed a little absurd and far fetched to me
I'd say most emotional disorders are of a "social" (and cognitive) nature rather than "biological." It's really hard to say when our society drives people flippin crazy as flip.
I'm not saying that all arguments for social causation of disorders are wrong, but I do disagree with the "social" theories of homosexuality. And it has been shown that most disorders are quiet genetic. There's a huge difference between someone going "crazy as flip" and one who has schizophrenia, or bipolar disorder. Society doesn't drive people to become bipolar or schizophrenic, it's an unfortunate genetic problem. I don't consider someone that goes postal on a bunch of people mentally ill, or else everyone would be in an asylum rather than in jail.
"My friend says he wants to die. He's in a band, they sound like Pearl Jam, the clothes are all black and the music is crap."

Steven Wilson

NoteScribe: Premier [url=http://www.notescribe.net]Note Software[/url]
heaven's chimney

Morphine Child wrote:I do disagree with the "social" theories of homosexuality.
You're right. There's a better case for a social etiology of heterosexuality.

And it has been shown that most disorders are quiet genetic.
It's also been shown that women have less teeth than men (Aristotle). Time will tell and this stuff is far from agreed on.
There's a huge difference between someone going "crazy as flip" and one who has schizophrenia, or bipolar disorder.
Aaron Beck, Carol Tavris, Thomas Szasz, and Ron Laing might disagree. Historically there isn't a really good distinction. Catch me up to date though, I am definitely open.

Society doesn't drive people to become bipolar or schizophrenic, it's an unfortunate genetic problem.
Is this backed by cross-cultural studies?

I don't consider someone that goes postal on a bunch of people mentally ill, or else everyone would be in an asylum rather than in jail.
While I'm in no position to say what is and isn't mentally ill, I'm highly skeptical of what constitutes a "biological disorder."
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

JoJo your personality is showing.