Who is Jojo: An Introspective Journey into Polemical Delight

Use this forum to start a thread about yourself. Please take the time to read to rules and regs before posting.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

jojo the circus monkey

Who is Jojo: An Introspective Journey into Polemical Delight

Post by jojo the circus monkey »

real name: Adam Scrotum (there's a middle school story behind this one)

most important parts in my youth:
i was basically babysat by my cousin in the 80s. this meant:

1) jean jackets
2) bon jovi
3) whitesnake
4) horror movies

I was really into "monsters." I really loved Fright Night (the movie). Up until recently, i had always dreamed of hooking up with a beautiful vampire girl while remaining a mortal.

so the next big paradigm was... NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZELDA!
Mega Man 3!!!!!!!!!
WOOOOOOOLVERIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!
Double Dragon 2!
Final Fantasy!!!!!!

(notice the shape?)

Anyways, i was pretty skinny until this paradigm. At this point, i got fat. I even still have some of the fat in my belly, mantitties, and lovehandles. BESIDES THE POINT. maybe not. I also had asthma. I pretty much lost my asthma about 3 years ago when I went vegetarian. That's a new paradigm that doesn't fit the story right now.

pre/elementary school was a weird experience for me. i moved a few times during preschool/kindergarten and got to experience the magic of Indianapolis, Warsaw, and Auburn.

I have a gradecard from 2nd grade that says "Adam would do well to quit arguing with his peers." When I found that I couldn't stop laughing. SECOND GRADE! WOOOO! There's also a picture of me when i was like 4 in my underwear flipping off the camera holding a Ghostbusters toy (I loved The Ghostbusters too)

So i was a huge fan of action movies. That's when i saw about 99% of the action movies I've seen (I rarely EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER watch them now).

Killa movies from this era:

American Ninja (I believe Poo saw this one and found a cinematographical error)
American Ninja 2
American Ninja 3
American Ninja 4
Best of the Best 1
Best of the Best 2
Kickboxer
Kickboxer 2

It was around this era when I got mah dog. I named him, of course, Ninja.

I used to get all the karate books at the school's library. Judo, Karate, Jiu-Jitsu, etc. BOMB.

This era was really the beginning of my alienation with people. Too many things were f'd up, though I couldn't put my finger on it. I remember being super anti-racist back then (as if anything's changed).

Middle School kicked me into super alienated mode. I was lucky as pissing F'ing piss to have befriend Shaun "Shlong" L fairly early on. Meeting him was complete providence. Anyways, this kid complimented my will to creativity and pimpness and we complimented and challenged each other to reach higher levels of awesomeness. It's like Vygotsky's "zone of proximal development." So that was 6th grade. In 7th grade, by providence again, I met Mike "4ill" G. Meeting Mike was a SERIOUS paradigm shift. Almost everything I had been feeling was embodied in this crafty character. While I was already primed for heavier music, this guy gave me the key to the door. AWESOME!

So the paradigm was relatively stable through middle to highschool. Again, I stress how lucky I was to have these two dudes. Had it not been for them, I wouldn't have had creative outlets and I would've taken a sharp right towards crazy.

This era had musical paradigms abound:
1) Nirvana (heaviest shat on the radio) - 6th grade
2) Metallica (heaviest shat they barely played on the radio at the time) - 7th grade
3) Slayer (heaviest shat EVER as far as i was concerned) - 8th grade
3) Pantera - 8th grade. Pantera was unbelievable to a kid who listened to Metallica because they were heavy.
4) Fear Factory (me and Mike G stared at each other during the first 30 seconds of Demanufacture. A simple bass drum about made us piss on each other) - 8th grade
5) Sepultura (soooooooo raw. SOOOO ruthless raw. the ozzfe$t version of Attitude is F'ING RAW BROOTAL RAW)
6) Six Feet Under (accessible sorta-rock-death-metal) - 8th grade (BY THE WAY: we got them to play a SFU song at a dance in 8th grade. weird.)
7) CARCASS - this was it. puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure beauty. i was expecting cannibal corpse. i was really expecting something dry, boring, and monotonous. i had been putting off buying the album, but i did. sooooooo amazing. SOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo amazing. I would be surprised by this band for years to come, even though they had broken up at least a year before I got their cd. 9th Grade like a Maw Fahkah.
8) Radiohead - super soft. SUPER HEAVY! this was a paradigm in itself because i learned a whole new pallette. it was like being able to see a new colour - or dimension. CRAZY. Planet Telex is one of the heaviest songs ever evered.

Around 12th grade I started getting way jaded and way cynical. I burned bridges with most of my gangstaz. I started talking sh*t to way more people - including teachers: My last class of highschool was spent in I.S.S. because of the following story:

Calling teachers "Mr. and Ms. and Mrs. Blah Blah" was ridiculous. These people went to college for four years and learned jackshit. Now i have to respect them? Anyways, movies are cheesy as hell and kids in 80s movies sometimes refer to the teacher as "Teach" or "Teacher." So I called my Art History teacher "teach" and "teacher." One day, she snapped, telling me that she wouldn't respond to me so long as I addressed her as "teach" or "teacher." I had to call her "Mrs. Buchs." (i dont know if that's her name or not, i dont remember.)

So i forgot about that. Then I kept trying to talk to her without her responding, and finally it hit me that she was giving me the silent treatment. So i says "OHhhhhhhhhhh GEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeez i'm sooooo sorry! Ooooooook! Let's give the baby her bottle! MRS. BUCHS will you pleeeeeeeease answer me now?"

Apparently it flipped her out and she got me kicked out for the next two classes. Funny and happy ending to this story: She sent down a study guide for me. As I was looking at it, i was thinking, "Damn... this study guide looks a lot like a test." BAM! It was the final! Easy A! Thanks Mrs. Buchs!

Man, I got in serious trouble in 12th grade. And it was all within like 3 months. Like i was DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYAM close to being expelled. It was like playing russian roulette, Deer Hunter (the movie) -style.

So i had basically been in the Auburn area for about 12 years. Then I moved to fort wayne. Best thing that ever happened to me = getting away from Auburn.

Slightly new paradigm: I had been in a Cisco Networking program in 12th grade. I got a credit at Ivy Tech for taking the class. So i thought "Hey, i'll go to ivy tech." But I mainly went there because i didn't take the SATs in time for IPFW. (I could've taken IPFW SATs, but I didn't want to pay the $30 or whatever) So I, surprisingly as piss to me, kicked ass and took names at Ivy Tech. I got 2 B's there in 3 years (Accounting 1 and Java - I got an A in Accounting 2). This was a dramatic DRAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATIC change from my f'ing highschool grades.

Quick bummer time: I was in showchoir (no, i wasn't a flamboyant R Kelly fan, i played guits).

There are all sorts of fun stories all over the place.

Fairly big milestones from various eras:

-Seeing Black Sabbath in Chicago after a 30 year hiatus
-Seeing Fear Factory in Columbus ( :cry: al rosa villa)
-Seeing King Diamond at Metalfest
-Seeing Today is the Day at Metalfest
-Seeing Candiria with Dillinger Escape Plan - HUUUUUUGE. July 7 2000
-Seeing U2 with my ultra-gangstaz Tim and Matt (Tim and Matt are the new Shaun and Mikes)
-Mooning a good portion of the school as Tres Crackheads with Shaun (sans Mike)
-Giving the Napalm Death presentation
-Disagreeing with my 11th grade english teacher when she said that "Sometimes Fiction can be more real than reality" (power inchoate!)

A HUGE PARADIGM SHIFT:

I ate at Wendy's like at leeeeeeast once a day. The people there knew my voice and knew what i would inevitably order: 2 junior bacon cheeseburgers, Biggie fry, and a biggie Cherry Coke. I was all about Steak 'n Shakes "fresco melt platter." ALLL about Friday's "jack daniels steak." But for a LONG time I knew that what was happening to my peoples (the animals) was real messed up and real wrong. I had been putting it off for a long time. a LONG time. Finally I kept thinking about looking into my dog's eyes as his throat was being cut, chickens on so many growth hormones that their legs break under the pressure, and the millions of animals getting played for nonsense, and SHAZZAM i went vegetarian. Huge deal. I eventually bought nonleather everything. I still have my notorious leather wallet so that I remember where i came from and never become an over-zealous vegan who flips out fo' rill.

One of the biggest deals of my life - if only for self-control! I was a meataholic and quit "cold-turkey."

THE BIGGEST PARADIGM SHIFT...

occured while at Ivy Tech. I was flipping out about anti-vegetarian nonsense and asked pimp Nathan from Upheaval. He had told me at least once before that to check it out, but this time I finally took his advice instantly: I read The Story of B by Daniel Quinn.

Holy hell! This book absolutely BLEW ME AWAAAAAAAAAAAAY. It was the Mike and Shaun of the new era. After reading this I was super bummed, but not the same way everyone else who reads the book gets. I was bummed because I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE READING!!!!!!!!! HATE IT!

but i knew i had to read a LOT more to get down to the roots of our cultural prollums. bummer. My hatred of reading stems from highschool and its policy of mandatory reading. Being the rad rebel i am, i developed a distaste for readin. BUMMER. To this day I still drag my heels when I read.

there's probably more, but i'll keep it long instead of f'ing super long.

"Thank you, thank YOU, and f**k YOU!" - Dennis Leary

on edit:
I was born on February 22, 1983 (BUMMER)
Last edited by jojo the circus monkey on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

I was really into "monsters." I really loved Fright Night (the movie).
[url=hhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093560/]Did you ever watch the classic 'the Monster Squad'?[/url]

It was one of my favorite non-horror horror movies as a kid!
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Imagine if you could harness this power for "Good".

<wink>
jojo the circus monkey

sharkmansix wrote:
[url=hhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093560/]Did you ever watch the classic 'the Monster Squad'?[/url]

HOLY HELL YES MAN! HOLY HELL YES! it's been soooooooooo long since i've seen it! whenever i watch those movies, though, it spoils the magic. So i haven't seen a lot of my memorable movie moments in like 20 years.

but yes, spot on, sir, spot on. The Fred Savage flick was rad too - Little Monsters I think t'was called.

Imagine if you could harness this power for "Good".
a-hahahaha

If one thing should be clear in the next year to two years, it should be that i'm kickin it fo' "Good."

On that same tip: Another huge moment was my unexpected hatred of The Cross. I did an awesome paper on the evil parts of the bible and the spanish inquisition. RAD! it was unprecedented as far as i knew. Looking back, there wasn't any specific moment that made me super-anti-christian-guy. Probably what sealed the deal was Deuteronomy 21:10-14.
sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

HOLY HELL YES MAN! HOLY HELL YES! it's been soooooooooo long since i've seen it! whenever i watch those movies, though, it spoils the magic. So i haven't seen a lot of my memorable movie moments in like 20 years.
I found it on DVD and picked up. I could barely get through it, but there are some nice parts to relive. It's like the bad news bears meet a horror movie. There's pre-teen kids cursing and being totally un-PC! I, for one, miss those days!
jojo the circus monkey

a list of my FAVOURITE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANDS EVER:

(In no specific order)

Ink and Dagger
Carcass
Duran Duran
Upheaval
U2
Dillinger Escape Plan
Today is the Day
Meshuggah
Wu Tang Clan
Earth Crisis
Napalm Death
Candiria
Slayer
AFI
Metallica ( :oops: )
Harakiri
Godflesh
Elliot Smith
Swallowing sh*t
Refused
Indecision
Immolation
Cryptopsy
Radiohead
At The Gates
At The Drive In
Zao
The Smiths (That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore!)
Latyrx
Souls of Mischief
ODB
Blackalicious
BEETHOVEN (feel the POWER!)
Public Enemy
Isis
Coalesce
Burn It Down
Converge
Soilent Green
Fear Factory
Sepultura
C&C Music Factory (phony nogs are outlines in chalk!)
Simple Minds
Parliament
Fugazi
Black Sabbath
Pantera?
Nirvana
Type O Negative
Cannibal Corpse
Bon Jovi
Minor Threat
Acid Bath
Agents of Oblivion
Stone Temple forking Pilots
Life of Agony
311 ( :oops: )

MORE TO COME!
Last edited by jojo the circus monkey on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Grindspine »

You know we agree on most music .. ('cept Bon Jovi), but the video games also... Zelda, Final Fantasy and MEGA MAN III RULED!!!!!

I do have to say that Mega Man X, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy II and Legend of Zelda III: Link to the Past still are my favorites to this day.
Scrudge Bucket
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Scrudge Bucket »

jojo the circus monkey wrote:a list of my FAVOURITE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANDS EVER:

(In no specific order)

Ink and Dagger
Carcass
Duran Duran
Upheaval
U2
Dillinger Escape Plan
Today is the Day
Meshuggah
Wu Tang Clan
Earth Crisis
Napalm Death
Candiria
Slayer
AFI
Metallica ( :oops: )
Harakiri
Godflesh
Elliot Smith
Swallowing shite
Refused
Indecision
Immolation
Cryptopsy
Radiohead
At The Gates
At The Drive In
Zao
The Smiths (That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore!)
Latyrx
Souls of Mischief
ODB
Blackalicious
BEETHOVEN (feel the POWER!)
Public Enemy
Isis
Coalesce
Burn It Down
Converge
Soilent Green
Fear Factory
Sepultura
C&C Music Factory (phony nogs are outlines in chalk!)
Simple Minds
Parliament
Fugazi
Black Sabbath
Pantera?
Nirvana
Type O Negative
Cannibal Corpse
Bon Jovi

MORE TO COME!
I thought you liked Minor Threat?
[b]"I can hear the sounds of laughter, could it be they're laughing at me?"[/b]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/lynchsavio][b]CLICK, HEAR[/b][/url]
jojo the circus monkey

Scrudge Bucket wrote:
jojo the circus monkey wrote:a list of my FAVOURITE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANDS EVER:

Nirvana
Type O Negative
Cannibal Corpse
Bon Jovi
Minor Threat

MORE TO COME!
I thought you liked Minor Threat?

Learn to read better man. I mean, come on.
MynameisJenn
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by MynameisJenn »

dig the music list many are similiar to mine if you could add a little scientific american, muse, guster!, ben folds, postal service then we would have even more in commom
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/sankofa/jennnewsig.jpg[/img]
romancraig
Regular
Regular

Post by romancraig »

sharkmansix wrote:
I was really into "monsters." I really loved Fright Night (the movie).

Wolfman's got nards?
www.ojomalo.com
www.myspace.com/ojomalo
sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

^ Totally awesome!

I didn't know Wolfman had nards!
jojo the circus monkey

bands i've seen:

skid row, anthrax, pantera, incubus, tool, soulfly, sevendust, slayer, fearfactory, system of a down, rob zombie, meshuggah, sick of it all, spineshank, static-x, Harakiri, Upheaval, Indecision, nine inch nails, perfect circle, hatebreed (a lot), Candiria, Dillinger Escape Plan, Entombed, Mayhem, Immolation, Dying Fetus, Opeth, Shadows Fall, Bongzilla, Goatwhore, Enslaved, Impaled, Origin, Earth Crisis, In Flames, Skinlab, Pitch Shifter, Zao, U2, PJ Harvey, Jerry Cantrell, Botch, Bane, Converge, Dillinger Escape Plan with SEAN INGRAM!, Thursday, Boysetsfire, Rahzel, Souls of Mischief, AFI, 311, h2o, Macabre, lividity, DRI, ISIS, Amon Amart, Soilwork, Nasum, Pig Destroyer, Mastadon, Knut, Drowning Man, Darkest Hour, Lamb of God, God Forbid, Dragbody, Poison the Well, coheed and cambria, Snapcase, from autumn to ashes, Blackalicious, Talib Kweli, morbid angel, Cyndi Lauper, NAPALM DEATH, Strapping Young Lad, Berzerker, Dark Tranquility, Locust, Blue Oyster Cult, Life of Agony, Nevermore, uhhh....

books i've read in the past 3 or so years:
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, Return of the King by Tolkein
The Way of Aikido by George Leonard
Fast-Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
The Hobbit by Tolkein
The Simpsons and Philosophy
The Psychoanalysis of Fire by Gaston Bachelard
Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King
The Shining by Stephen King
Network+ Certification by mindworks
Wing Chun Kung-Fu by J. Yimm Lee (Technical editor: Bruce Lee)
Wing Chun Kung-Fu by Ip Chun and Michael Tse
Twilight of the Idols by Frederich Nietzsche
The Story of B by Daniel Quinn
Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
My Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
The Holy by Daniel Quinn
Beyond Civilization by Daniel Quinn
Culture of Make Believe by Derrick Jensen
Providence by Daniel Quinn
After Dachau by Quinn
The Man Who Grew Young by Daniel Quinn
A Language Older Than Words by Derrick Jensen
Food Revolution by John MF Robbins
Nietzsche for Beginners by don’t remember but it was like a comic book
Four Blind Mice by James Patterson
Violets Are Blue by James Patterson
Introducing Nietzsche by Laurence gane
Red Dragon by Thomas harris
A Wrinkle in Time by madelaine l’engle
Schopenhauer by Michael Tanner
Nietzsche by Michael Tanner
Introducing Kafka by david mairowitz
Dude Where’s My Country by Michael Moore
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
What If Everything You Thought You Knew About AIDS Was Wrong by Christine maggiore
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Slaughterhouse Fünf by Kurt Vonnegut
The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness by Erich Fromm.
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
Sigmund Freud’s Mission by Erich Fromm
The Tracker – Tom Brown
Roses Are Red by James Patterson
Listening To The Land by Jensen
Diet For a New America by John Robbins
Walking on Water – Derrick f’in Jensen
Dream of Reason by Anthony Gottlieb
A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn
On Personal Power by Carl Rogers
Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders by Aaron Beck
Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig
Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
The Social Animal by Elliot Aronson
The Politics of Experience by R. D. Laing
The Day Philosophy Dies by Casey Maddox
Thomas Kuhn and the Science Wars by Ziauddin Sardar
Dawkins and the Selfish Gene by
Why I am not a Christian by Bertrand Russell
The Iliad by Homer
Logic and Mr. Limbaugh by Ray Perkins
In Search of the Primitive by Stanley Diamond
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
Introducing Sartre by Phillip Thody and Howard
Ecology and the End of Post Modernity by …
Thomas Sebeok and the Signs of Life by …
Invitation to Psychology by Wade and Tavris
Full House by Stephen Jay Gould
Animal Liberation by Peter Singer
1984 by “George Orwell”
Mirror for Humanity by Kottak
Running On Emptiness by John Zerzan
Wittgenstein’s Poker by …

i used to keep a list of the bands, but sh*t got ridiculous REALLY quick.

i have a list of the books so i can chastize myself for not keeping at my "2 per week" Reading Renaissance: Part Deux schedule.
InDaTrunk
RockStar
RockStar

Post by InDaTrunk »

And the award for "most content" goes to..........

JoJo!!

Seriously , that was very insightful.
...country livin...
Morphine Child
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Morphine Child »

Jojo...I Saw a few Nietzsche books on there..by chance, have you read "The Antichrist"? I picked it up on a few recommendations, and it's awesome. I'm almost finished.
"My friend says he wants to die. He's in a band, they sound like Pearl Jam, the clothes are all black and the music is crap."

Steven Wilson

NoteScribe: Premier [url=http://www.notescribe.net]Note Software[/url]