70's rock tones

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Are you a REO fan????

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 15

Maxwell22005

70's rock tones

Post by Maxwell22005 »

Hey I, im a big fan of the early 70's bands like REO, boston, styx, ect.... I was wondering if anyone knows some equipment to get that awsome clean distortion (lol doesnt make too much sense, but if you listen to these bands you know what I mean) sound. Also how they get that killer distortion for soloing. I dont like asking stores like GC and sweetwater, because they will try to sell me the most expensive and new item so just wondering if anyone knows a pedal( most preferably) that gets that tone.

Thanks alot.
If I leave here tomorrow.
Would you still remember me?
Aero
Regular
Regular

Post by Aero »

You're probably looking for more of an overdrive than distortion sound so I would recommend an Ibanez Tube Screamer. It's a nice overdrive pedal that can get the tones you're looking for, but it will set you back about $100.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

A good low-buck alternative to the TS-9 is the Digitech Bad Monkey. $39.99 at MF or GC, and sounds really a heck of a lot like a Tube Screamer.

But then, it's impossible to know if that's the tone you're going for from talking about it. YMMV.
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

Kevin Cronin is a tool....like the music, but he is a royal ass....
dofus hipster
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by dofus hipster »

Depending on the size amp you can play reasonably....
Marshall JCM800 and a clean boost for solos.
2x12 or 4x12 colsed cab.

Or, say an 18/20 Marshall (or Marshall clone). Turned up this will rock old school all day. Like the other poster said...You are looking at overdrive more than say distortion. Marshall/Fender/Orange/Vox were prolly the amps from that area that you were hearing. Boston is another deal compleatly.

How much $$ do you plan to spend? There is an amp that will do all this and more, but it will cost you...

The Bogner Shiva 1x12 ported combo. Buy one used, save a few $$, and it will last a lifetime.

I just re-read the OP...I would get a Clean Boost type pedal to take an overdriving amp up a notch for leads. Fulltone has a great one, the Fatboost. No Mid hump like the TS types, unless thats the sound you like, then the Bad Monkey is a killer cheap great box...
No Man Can Eat 50 eggs!
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

You want the special amp that goes to eleven. . . .

I'll admit to having a couple REO albums and seeing two of their shows at the Coliseum. The stuff sounds really dated to me now, though, and it's not a good dated, like maybe Deep Purple.
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
LC Pwince
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by LC Pwince »

I'd say a Marshall is a great place to start. JCM800 or an earlier JMP master volume should do the trick, and a Tube Screamer is an excellent choice to get that boost for solos. You definitely want to overdrive the amp and use the pedal for a boost, not for much distortion. I'd also look at the type of guitar and pickup you're using. I think the REO dude was a Les Paul freak, so humbuckers are gonna be a big piece of the puzzle too.
boxofrocks
Regular
Regular

Post by boxofrocks »

I think the dude from Boston (Schultz?) used a unit of his own design called a rockman? i think you can buy it about anywhere.
Maxwell22005

Post by Maxwell22005 »

Hey thanks alot guys, Ill go out and give some of the stuff a try.

I play on a Peavey xxl with a 5150 cab, and a schecter gryphon. So in truth I prob cant get all to close to that sound, but as close to as I can get should be fine for me. It the pedal im looking for more likly, and 100 at most. and to recap wut i think I got, I want overdrive, not so much as distortion. tubescreamer or a badmonkey for cheaper.

Also, has anyone used a metal muff pedal, a guy at GC was pushing it on me and wondering if it worth anything. I like REo and guys like that but, im really into late 70s, to early 80s metal.
If I leave here tomorrow.
Would you still remember me?