Official Drum Dial thread. . . .

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Brandon
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Brandon »

That's great. Thanks for posting the link. I've never seen him play on a 4 piece kit.
www.brandonfordmusic.com
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

In answer to my previous question, I replaced the clear Evans head on my 10" TAMA tom with a coated white, and the Evans power center head on my snare with just an Evans white G1. The tom now has a LOT of resonance, and LOT of overtones. The overtones disappear behind the music, and the drum just sings out a pure note. It is also much more expressive at lower volumes. Again, young drummers, LISTEN to your kit when music is playing; don't just tune it so it sounds good alone. You will kill all your tone and volume.

I never liked the power center head on the snare. It gives you ONE fat sound when struck in the middle, and ONE ringy sound when struck toward the edge, and no gradients between the two. I like to get infinite gradations of ring from the head depending on where I hit it, and a plain coated white gives me that.
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
Brandon
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Brandon »

Glad you found a good head configuration. I use Evans coated heads on my toms as well and love the sound of them.
www.brandonfordmusic.com
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

Brandon wrote:Glad you found a good head configuration. I use Evans coated heads on my toms as well and love the sound of them.
I think the reason I avoided the coated heads for so long is because they were on many drums around when I first stated playing, and often they were poorly tuned, so they got more 'boing' than good, solid tone. It seems like the mikes on old Jazz recordings pick up too much of the 'boing' and no tone as well.

The quality of the coated heads have gottten better, and I've gotten better at tuning them, so I'm getting the ringy overtones (not the boing), but also a solid fundamental tone as well.
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

employee
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by employee »

A drum Dial is the next thing on my list to get for my drums. Until I get my ears trained. I used to think using a tuner on guitar was cheating until I got used to using it, now I wouldn't play LIVE without one. I also have put Evens coated g2 on my tops and single ply clear on the bottoms, I get a nice thump and a little bit of that classic rock jazzy tone, although I can't play jazz at all, I like the tone.... My kick I have been using Remo clear and it is holding up well and has nice tone, with a Ludwig felt/plastic beater I get plenty of click. The snare I have been using Aquarian coated and clear on the bottom, I don't know if it's making a difference, but using a 10" DW snare I needed to bring out the buzz as well as the POP, so far it seems well rounded, tone wise. I also use moon gel to dampen things a bit.. That stuff rocks!!!
I'm learning there really are no rules to drumming, so I just do my own thing with it...
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

Sounds good that you're getting the sound you want!

Next subject: SNARE STRAINER- SIDE HEADS

On my old Roger's snare, I have an Evans tuned to about 72-75 on the DrumDial, and completely detuned at the 4 strainer lugs to reduce snare buzz. I'm still getting some snare buzz. I was happy before when I was getting the solid Stu Copeland pop. Now I want more versatility, so I'm still searching for the elusive perfect snare sound at all volumes. . .

There are a lot of variables on the strainer head that affect sound. Let's see if we can come to a consensus, reply if you disagree:

•Head tension: More tension = less strainer sound, decreased sensitivity at low volumes / Less tension = more strainer sound, increased low-volume sensitivity, but increased sympathetic buzz – detuning around the 4 strainer lugs = less sympathetic buzz

•Strainer tension: More tension = less strainer sustain- "tight" / Less tension = more rattle -"wet".

Ayn Rand

employee
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by employee »

I don't know why I felt like blurting all that out.. Never drink and post... Yeah, carry on....