what will guitarists do? tab outlawed

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

CheapJimmy
Troll
Troll

Post by CheapJimmy »

Back in the old days, when record players had different speeds, you could slow the albums down to half speed. That would drop the song an octave and then we worked out the leads. Most of the time the chords were not much of a problem.
I've done pretty much the same thing with the Windows sound recorder on my computer when I could'nt find tabs for the songs I needed to learn.
If you play long enough tabs pretty much become a short cut to save time. Anyway that's my two cents worth.
The Hand of Poo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by The Hand of Poo »

:?

Folks, it's not that we can't read music, or can't play by ear, or blah blah blah. I know, it's hard to believe that we might be educated and talented.

But it's tab. Most of what's available isn't even good tab. If somebody can show me factual evidence that amateur internet tablature is taking away considerable profit for anybody, I'll listen. I'll then explain how you're wrong, but I will listen.

Otherwise, please shove your opinion and attached advice on tabbing alternatives into a small, personal crevice.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

It's not a matter of "proving" to you or any one that any form of copyright infringement takes away a single red cent from the producers.

The fact of copyright is this:

The creator of the work has the right decide how and where their work is distributed. It's not about money, it's about whether a form of infringement takes money away from anybody. It's about allowing the creator of the work to decide how or even whether or not the work is distributed.

So, as you can see, you can't explain how I'm wrong, because it is YOU that is wrong. Copyright isn't about money, it's about control of the work.

Shove that.
The Hand of Poo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Silencio wrote:So, as you can see, you can't explain how I'm wrong, because it is YOU that is wrong. Copyright isn't about money, it's about control of the work.
So legally it shouldn't happen. The artist should be able to decide every facet of how his work is used. I won't dispute that, you're absolutely right.

But what if this will do more harm than good in the end? The way I see it, kids who try to get into guitar, serious musician or no, look at tab as a invaluable tool for many reasons. These are the same kids going out and buying guitar rock albums. I think it's possible to say this has as much of a chance to lower sales as banning tab would to increase earnings.

The same way the internet exploded the game mod community, in turn exploding the PC game industry - sharing musician's resources including tab that isn't a direct copy of a book only serves to better the ENTIRE music community as a whole. P2P brought record sales UP. Look at YouTube and Myspace. All of these would be squat without bending the jeebus out of copyright laws.

Look, I wasn't entirely serious about shoving anything. I was kinda irked about all the "Well just play it by eeeeaaarrrr" comments... Yeah, that's it. I look at tab because I'm some jerk who can't figure out a riff. :roll: It's damn convenient, and I still can't figure out how I'm making money by looking at tab as opposed to just figuring it out anyway.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll always be split about how to interpret laws and trends and whatnot, so cheers to you. Happy holidays.
FATA1337
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by FATA1337 »

POWERTAB!
shattered existence
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by shattered existence »

Recordstar wrote: As a publisher I know the effects of loss of income from copyright infringement. I took me 7 years to collect on a copyright infringement lawsuit. And the settlement will never make up for the business that was lost during that time. Peformance and mechanical royalties are a writers/entertainers life blood. You work hard to develope your craft, you don't need to to have your effort stolen from you.
The only way that free tabs take away from anyones business is if these same tabs are being sold by someone. Half the sh*t on the internet isn't offered for sale in any tab books. So those tabs are not taking business away from anyone. How is some kid learning to play a song for free going to hurt anyones pocket book. If anything I would think that it would be good for the band. Because that kid is going to learn the song and gain more respect for the band making him an even bigger fan than he was before.

Isn't it great living in the land of the "free"
[url=http://www.myspace.com/thislandlaidtowaste][img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q79/thislandlaidtowaste/banner1.jpg[/img][/url]
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

COPYRIGHT...The LEGAL RIGHT granted, as to an author, composer, playwright, or publisher for EXCLUSIVE publication, production, sale or distribution of a literary, musical, dramatic, artistic or electronically produced work. Within this grant is the authority to issue license for use of such works by outside parties. These license can be given freely or charged a one time fee or by royalty to be paid during the continued usage of these license. If an individual absconds the material in question, whole or in part, produces and distributes it WITHOUT being granted license is COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT irregardless if the individual absconding the material receives any money for his efforts or not. Learn to read music, buy the charts and play. If your ear is good enough to figure out the chords and lead line..have at it, just don't put it in print for public usage. Royalties for the work is also collected via other resources to compensate the author, composer...etc... If you want to use tabs...pay for them. You don't let someone tie into your electrical system at home and use the power without your permission or compensation. The same principle applies to copyright infringement via someone posting tabs without permission (license). A thief is still a thief not matter how colorful or bogus the qualification you wish to apply to the situation.
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

We get all that. That wasn't the question.

What was asked was; How does someone who writes tab that doesn't exist in any form of publication, then gives it away free, take profit away from someone?

It doesn't seem like it would to me. Maybe I just don't understand this whole thing because I am drummer. If drummers started suing and bitching about people copying there beats there wouldn't be anymore music.

I am sorry if you have had some work stolen from you, but i doubt it was from some 13 year old kid in his basement hacking his way through tabs of "Smoke on the Water".
http://www.facebook.com/sevesd
http://www.myspace.com/sevesd
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

sevesd93 wrote:We get all that. That wasn't the question.

What was asked was; How does someone who writes tab that doesn't exist in any form of publication, then gives it away free, take profit away from someone?

It doesn't seem like it would to me. Maybe I just don't understand this whole thing because I am drummer. If drummers started suing and bitching about people copying there beats there wouldn't be anymore music.

I am sorry if you have had some work stolen from you, but i doubt it was from some 13 year old kid in his basement hacking his way through tabs of "Smoke on the Water".
Tabs don't just "come out of the air". They are usually derived from a written or recorded piece of music. Most recorded music is under copyright. Therefore enters the "copyright infringement" situation. Teach your 13 year old kid in the basement hacking his way through "Smoke on the Water" not to infringe on copyrights....if not, he'll probably grow up to be an adult who infringes on copyrights. A thief is still a thief no matter how rosey you try to paint the picture. It's like a woman only being a "little bit pregnant". And you are wrong...it was a kid that stole my material, carried it around for years then decided to record it. By the way ...the song went #1 on the country charts.
The Hand of Poo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Recordstar wrote:if not, he'll probably grow up to be an adult who infringes on copyrights.
Oooh, the bane of modern society.
A thief is still a thief no matter how rosey you try to paint the picture.
I'm not sure we're both looking at that statement with the same breadth. I could probably name 20 instances in the last year that you've stolen in some way, shape or form without being aware of it and/or caring. But I doubt anyone will come crusading into your house or local message board because you used the time on someone else's parking meter.

Plus, I really don't think it's fair to start labeling tab-grabbing kids as thieves, no matter how grim you try to paint the picture.
Aero
Regular
Regular

Post by Aero »

Recordstar wrote: Teach your 13 year old kid in the basement hacking his way through "Smoke on the Water" not to infringe on copyrights....if not, he'll probably grow up to be an adult who infringes on copyrights.
The RIAA uses faulty cause-and-effect arguments just like this to justify their reckless crusade against consumers.
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

These justifications never ceases to amaze me. If you read the disclaimer attached to tab publication most say whole, or in part: "for the private use of the individual and not for public performance". I really don't care what excuse is used to justify your reasoning, tab usage without the explicit permission of the author, composer...etc... is an infrigemnet of his copyright and he has the right to legal recourse.
Grindspine
RockStar
RockStar

Re: what will guitarists do? tab outlawed

Post by Grindspine »

Aero wrote:
bassjones wrote:
antihero999 wrote:http://www.out-law.com/page-7235
as a guitarist who can't read music i don't know what i'll do.
i also have a felling cover bands are going to go on the decline
Here's a whacky idea. Learn to read music... You'll be a better musician for it in the long run. It's not that hard really. In fact, it's probably easier to do than learning to read tab. You'll never go on a studio date and have a piece of tablature placed on your music stand. You will very likely have a lead sheet/chord chart of some type, and may very likely have a piece of fully written out parts that you're expected to play note-for-note.
Although it is commendable to put in the effort in order to learn to read standard music notation, I wouldn't say its as fast or as easy as learning to read tabs. I would think most guitarists could sight-read tabs faster than regular notation, especially those who aren't fast enough to read the notes from the staff and then transfer them to locations on the fretboard.

Notation is notation - legally, I don't see why tabs should be treated any differently than any other kind of notation.
I can read music. I can read tab. Sight reading music is actually faster for me. However, things can be conveyed in tab that cannot be conveyed in staff written music (as in position or alternate fingerings for certain pieces). Both have their advantages, which is why both exist. Neither is any less "stealing intellectual property" than the other.

If tab is on the chopping block, staff written music is too, if indirectly.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Tab ISN'T being treated differently than any other type of notation. You can't find standard notation sheet music for free on the Internet, either, can you?

It's NOT being pursued because it's tablature. It's being pursued because it's being published FREE on the Internet without the consent of the people who actually own the right to publish the material.

Nobody is trying to "outlaw" tab, they are simply trying to stop illegal publishing of their work.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Silencio wrote:Tab ISN'T being treated differently than any other type of notation. You can't find standard notation sheet music for free on the Internet, either, can you?

It's NOT being pursued because it's tablature. It's being pursued because it's being published FREE on the Internet without the consent of the people who actually own the right to publish the material.

Nobody is trying to "outlaw" tab, they are simply trying to stop illegal publishing of their work.
Yeah, what he said.

My "learn to read music" comment was probably off-topic somewhat. This discussion is about illegal activity not the merits of tablature.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.