Solo rut. help.

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Solo rut. help.

Post by bassjones »

I've been asked to take a solo Sunday - on my fretless. The tune is in Eflat and the solo section is a 2 chord vamp over Eflat - Aflat/Eflat. It's a smooth jazz style instrumental of the old hymn, Great is Thy Faithfulness. What to play on my solo? I want to utilize the fretless mwah and do something more melodic, but that still stands out. It's an 8 bar solo too, so fairly long for a bass solo.

What scale would you utilize? Eflat pentatonic? Seems kind of boring... Go to the alternate minor and use the melodic minor? I don't know... I'm stuck. help.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Brad:

re: getting out of a rut: Instead of thinking in terms of scale, think of it in terms of melody and, more importantly, tonal center.

If I was soloing fretless over an Eflat/Aflat, I would make Bflat my tonal center, using the D in a Bflat maj triad as a passing tone, and work out a melody (in Eflat maj, of course) that exploited the close relationship between the Bflat and Aflat.

Think of Jaco playing that signature melody in "A Remark You Made." There's nothing boring about a pentatonic scale when you play music with it. AS my creative director at Caldwell-Van Riper used to say when we were stuck: "Maybe this is no time to be clever." :D

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

Oh, I just realized I'm way too late for this to be of any help. Oh well. No great insight was lost, at any rate. :)
The Hammer

On the other hand...

Post by The Hammer »

On the other hand...
It is my belief that the technical aspects one has mastered are only the means to an end. Playing in general and soloing in particular, is an emotional event. The actual notes, although important, are secondary to the emotional impact one presents to the audience.

Your talent is a gift from God and your playing is an offering of thanks to Him. This, in my opinion, should form the basis of the content. Ask Him to give you what you need.

Put your heart into the song and play what you feel.