Why do old guys play old music?

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

Brother is the reason I left 469 Bar & Grill the only time I ever went there.
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

I was at a bar with a buddy while Brother was setting up to play and he was totally checking out what appeared to be from behind, a skinny blond haired woman wearing tight leather pants and a leather vest.

I will never forget the look on his face when I caught him staring and got to tell him it was a dude...
http://www.facebook.com/sevesd
http://www.myspace.com/sevesd
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

In other news, Plow has decided to rename themselves "Brother 2k7"
Cale
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Cale »

The_Dude wrote:In other news, Plow has decided to rename themselves "Brother 2k7"
Ouch.
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Steel String Bender »

Cale wrote:
The_Dude wrote:In other news, Plow has decided to rename themselves "Brother 2k7"
Ouch.
No kidding... In other news, The Dude has decided to rename himself "The Rude" :wink:

Speaking of rude, Brother's certainly not my cup of tea. However, that gig must come with some fringe benefits, like practicing freelance gynecology on local MILF.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

Steel String Bender wrote:
Cale wrote:
Ouch.
No kidding... In other news, The Dude has decided to rename himself "The Rude" :wink:

Speaking of rude, Brother's certainly not my cup of tea. However, that gig must come with some fringe benefits, like practicing freelance gynecology on local MILF.
Eh...the signature says it best, I guess.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Hate this... hate that...Whatever.

Has anyone actually *seen* Brother?

I have.

Once I got past the cheesiness of it, the stereotypical set list and the headbanging metal, I decided to give it a set and actually LISTEN to them play.

I was impressed. I though musically they are a bunch of really talented guys.

Would I pay to see them or stay for more than a set?

Oh HELL no.

But kudos for them for doing exactly what they want, cultivating a following and rocking out to MANY dedicated fans.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

Oliver's Army wrote:Hate this... hate that...Whatever.

I have.

Once I got past the cheesiness of it, the stereotypical set list and the headbanging metal, I decided to give it a set and actually LISTEN to them play.

Oh HELL no.

But kudos for them for doing exactly what they want, cultivating a following and rocking out to MANY dedicated fans.
Yep. I've seen them a couple times. I respect what they do (and the same goes for ANY musician or most anyone doing what they're passionate about) but that doesn't mean I have to like it, either.
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Steel String Bender »

Oliver's Army wrote:Hate this... hate that...Whatever.

I have.

Oh HELL no.

+1. They do have skills. By the way, is that a Samuel L. Jackson inflected "Oh HELLLLLLL no", or just a regular "Oh HELL no". My choice would be the former.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

While I typed it, in my head...I WAS S.L.J.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Mark Madich (of Brother) sang a full-length (non-jingle) project - a song for a national corporate meeting - for me a couple years back and he was awesome. My client thought so too. Easy to work with, nailed the arena-rock sound we were going for.

Maybe you don't want to learn to play those Journey songs. Who cares? You could certainly learn to take some damn joy in the music from these guys, and that's a lesson all the world's droopy hipster poseurs could stand to learn.
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Post by MrSpall »

I'm most intrigued by the phenomenon Jones mentioned of older bands eventually just becoming parodies of themselves. You mentioned the Stones, and I think you're absolutely right. I saw the Stones do a halftime show (Super Bowl I think) a coule years ago, and it felt like I was watching a tribute band try to recreate the Stones' earlier career.

But look at a band that did try to let their music mature and evolve. I know everyone will flame me for this but - Metallica. They'd ruled metal for years after the Black album, then they spent a ton of time in the studio, really tried to write new and different stuff, and released Load and ReLoad. Everyone jumped ship and accused Metallica of going soft. Isn't it more likely that they were just not the same angry 20-somethings that wrote "Kill 'Em All" and "Master of Puppets"? They grew, they matured, but when their music did the same they 'went soft'. After experiencing the backlash that followed the Load albums they released "Garage Inc" and "S&M", but by then they'd pissed off their entire fanbase with the Napster thing. Now they're releasing albums like "St. Anger" and they've become a parody of their earlier selves - they've even been accused of selling out! (Don't ask me about the whole therapy thing - I'm not ready to deal with that yet.)

Bands that don't have the clout Metallica had develpoed seem to recieve incredible pressure from their labels to stick to their winning formula at all costs. Imagine some random goth-punk band that's just had their first hit going to the execs at Atlantic and saying, "We'd like to do an album of jazz standards." They'd be thrown out on their asses. Once a band develops enough of a following to do whatever they want - they end up sticking to the same tired routine in order to avoid backlash. Everytime they change they've either 'gone soft' or 'sold out'.

Unfortunately it seems the vast majority of the music buying populace likes for their old guys to sing old music.
www.myspace.com/the1947californiacupcakecompany

www.indianajoshandtheblogofdoom.blogspot.com

We all live in a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

I love Lars Ulrich's comment in an interview, answering charges that Metallica was "selling out:"

"You're damn right we're selling out! We sell out EVERY NIGHT, every place we play!"
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

I followed Mark Magdich's music (20 ? years) from L.A. and was surprised to see him in Ft Wayne. When an individual or groups talent or works are criticized I have to take issue. Just because you may not like the particular style, era of music played, or appearance of band members does not form credibility on the commentors part when they pan them. How many other groups in the Ft Wayne area are curently booked for 104 + dates annually..PLUS special national and international projects and movie scoring. Mark and Brother are doing what a lot of groups in the Ft Wayne area only WISH they could do.
dofus hipster
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by dofus hipster »

I'm 39 now. I still love music, and I still love the guitar. It's "FUN". I'm not a David Torn type guy at all, but I love stuff that pushes things a bit.

I have seen some great bands in my days, and they all really loved what they were doing.... It really shows reguardless of age. Sammy Hagar is a great example of having fun, and being older.

I quit the last band for many reasons, but one was very personal. It's not worth doing if it's not fun, no mater how old or young you are.

Old guys doing it for money is another thing.....

YMMV
No Man Can Eat 50 eggs!