My new bass amp!!!

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

My new bass amp!!!

Post by bassjones »

Ordering a Markbass SA450 tomorrow. Found one used for the same price as the LMKII. Similar only the SA450 has a more flexible e.q. WOOT! 500 watts, 7.5 pounds, ooh yeah. 8)
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
phillm47

Congrats

Post by phillm47 »

Congrats Brad,

I've been reading your questions/posts over at TB. Can we get a full report after you've put it through the paces?

Stoked for you :)
[i]Nobody messes with the Fuzzytail Clan, protectors of the weak, defenders of the righteous, guardians of the pine[/i]
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I'll do a full write up on the SA450/LDS rig once I put it through the paces a couple of times. I'm psyched about this rig though. The head is 7.5lbs and puts out 500 watts at 4 ohms, the cab is 42lbs and handles 500/8 ohms. Under 50lbs and it will outperform most rigs 3 x's its size (that's the plan anyway). I've already contacted Don at LDS about building me a matching 12" extension cab (12 only, no mid or tweeter), which will rock any club in town with ease. I imagine I'll leave one cab at home and one at the rehearsal facility, using one for most gigs and bringing both when I feel like it.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-

www.bradjonesbass.com
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
AndrewTeepleBassist
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by AndrewTeepleBassist »

Just remember who was the first MarkBass user in town... 8) Congrats Brad, I'm sure you'll love it.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

AndrewTeepleBassist wrote:Just remember who was the first MarkBass user in town... 8) Congrats Brad, I'm sure you'll love it.
nobody's using those ugly ass cabinets though. I've heard they sound killer, but way too much yellow for me. I'd feel like I should be in Stryper or something :lol:
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
Cale
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Cale »

GC in Indy has stacks of MarkBass gear. I almost got skin cancer from the brightness (of the color, not the tone). Congrats Brad, I'm sure you'll love it. I've heard nothing but good things. I expect a full review.
AndrewTeepleBassist
I Been Around
I Been Around

The cabs do sound real nice, but I'm more than happy with my Bergantino cabs. I don't really see the point in switching. My Markbass/Bergantino rig will be rock'n C-Street tomorrow night.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Arrived today!!! I posted this on TB too, but any of you bassists want to plan a bass oriented get-together anytime soon? Maybe out at the jam crib or something. Put everybody's rigs through some serious testing... Just jam for a while too. No sweep plucking or whatever they call that ridiculous technique though :)
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
AndrewTeepleBassist
I Been Around
I Been Around

Congrats buddy! Welcome to tone country.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Initial impressions:

Great tone right out of the box. Everything set flat this rig sounded like hearing my bass through a really good set of studio monitors. Great fingerstyle tone, which is 90% of what I do. Slap bass, a little subdued, until a small twist of the magic VPF (mid-scoop) knob - and I do mean small, maybe up to two on the dial - then I had a great slap tone too. Keep in mind my cab has no tweeter because I hate most of them in bass cabs, but it does have a 5.25" upper mid driver that extends into that range.

I was trying it out at home after 9:00 at night, so I didn't get a chance to push it much, but I did crank it up to about 1/2 max for about 30 seconds (before my wife came and yelled at me) and HOLY COW is this mini rig loud. And loud w/o getting harsh at all.

Did I mention the whole rig together is under 50lbs and 300 watts (500 watts if I add a second cab)? Amazing. The best my bass has ever sounded. Now the real test will be in a live band setting, which will come in less than two weeks.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
Cale
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Cale »

Sweet! Congrats bud, glad you're happy with it. Like you mentioned, rig's are so much different in a band setting, and I'm curious how it cuts thru. I'd love to do an A/B w/ my Eden if you wanna. Andrew, Marty...you guys interested in getting together? We can see how a G&K and a Bergantino stacks up (pun intended).
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Alright now!

There is nothing as much fun as a new amp. I just got a new guitar amp: a low-wattage hand-built Fender tweed-era clone built by a friend in California (sort of a tweed Princeton with a couple of cool mods), just perfect for the studio... I'm having blast, as you seem to be having with this new toy.

Rock, rock on.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Cale wrote:Sweet! Congrats bud, glad you're happy with it. Like you mentioned, rig's are so much different in a band setting, and I'm curious how it cuts thru. I'd love to do an A/B w/ my Eden if you wanna. Andrew, Marty...you guys interested in getting together? We can see how a G&K and a Bergantino stacks up (pun intended).
I don't think my rig will be comparable to the Bergs or Edens at all, but I didn't intend it to be - it's more of an Accugroove Tri-112 tone. Eden's have that great scooped sound, which is the exact opposite of what I wanted out of my cabinet (which is also why I'm thinking of having Don build me a 4x10 w/ a tweeter). I wanted a flat, even response and I got it for sure. I'd love to hear the head driving your 4x10 - and Andrew's Bergs too. I'd also love to A/B the SA450 to the Little Mark and Eden. Just for kicks and giggles.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
Cale
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Cale »

Silencio wrote: Rock, rock on.
Heheheee

I'm down Brad! Lemme know when you wanna get together!
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Finally!

I've been posting that close on various forums for MONTHS, and someone fianlly checks it. :D

"Buy all our playsets and toys."