Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Jeff
Regular
Regular

Post by Jeff »

Last edited by Jeff on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
dofus hipster
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by dofus hipster »

Interesting

I guess that's another reason to have original music....... :shock:
No Man Can Eat 50 eggs!
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Re: Musicians group sues restaurant in Angola

Post by Steel String Bender »

Jeff wrote:1) Mitchell Fremion being sued.

2) Attempts Friday to contact each of the Club Paradise owners were
unsuccessful.

3) Over the past three years ASCAP has sent letters to Club Paradise –
some of them by certified mail – and left countless messages for
owners, which were never returned.

4) A certified letter mailed in July 2006 came back because it was
refused by the business.
With all the sarcasm I can possibly muster, I quote the immortal words of Gomer Pyle, USMC; "Surrrrprise, Surrrrprise, Surrrrprise!!"
subgenius88
Regular
Regular

Re: Musicians group sues restaurant in Angola

Post by subgenius88 »

Jeff wrote: Situated between Jimmerson Lake and Lake James, Club Paradise is a family-friendly bar and restaurant with nautical-themed décor.
Family-friendly my ass.
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

3 cheers for ASCAP !!! Original music is also covered under the ASCAP venue licensing agreements. If original music is only performed by the originators, believe me, your income is severely limited. Performance royalties are the backbone of a songwriters income. So if you have original music, you want others to cover it. Silencio, a couple of others and myself, not too long ago, talked about holding a "Songwriters, Copyright and Publishing Seminar". This is one more reason to conduct an event of this type. Know what your rights are, how to generate income from your talent, and pitfalls of the business....and believe me it is a business. Give me your feedback on a seminar of this type. A small fee would be charged to to cover overhead. If enough interest is generated I'll go forward on this. Publishing and copyrights are my business. You can check it out at MySpace.com/foxgrovemusicgroup.
HillgrassBluebillyFTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by HillgrassBluebillyFTW »

who did the club piss off?

i thought that ASCAP only got involved if someone called them?
1. I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. - Romans 15

If you want to know what I am working on check out these sites:

OhSoHumorous.com
TopDailyMemes.com
RandomDailyMemes.com
BestDailyMemes.com
FortWayneMusic.om
Kwalis.com
SoHumorous.com
FailUniversity.com
FaceFullOf.com
NuZuDu.com
FireFlyGoods.com
ThePeopleBlog.com
StealMyMemes.com
DontStealMyMemes.com

More to come...
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

anderson wrote:who did the club piss off?

i thought that ASCAP only got involved if someone called them?
Not anymore. ASCAP and BMI are scouring the countryside on foot, I hear.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

The license for the club is less than $1500 a year? Pay for the license people! This is how songwriters get their royalty checks and clubs like this are why so many older artists are broke - well, that and scumbags like Barry Gordy.

Oh, and Recordstar/Silencio, that sounds like a great idea.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
jsatt311
Regular
Regular

Post by jsatt311 »

Am I understanding this right? A band can't throw in a cover or two as crowd pleasers or just because they enjoy playing the song live if the venue hasn't payed for this license? I understand trying to protect the musicians and their rights to their music but when is it going to stop? I agree with making downloading music illegal unless paid for; I also agree with not being able to record someone else's song and putting it on your CD with out proper procedures. But damn this is just playing out. Are musicians (and record companies, believe me I know they have alot to do with this also) going to end up like the Million Dollar Cry Baby athletes we have to hear about everyday crying because they got 5.5 million instead of 7? I mean if when a record company signs a band and actually wanted a great album instead of 2 good radio songs, downloading would of never got as big as it did. It's hard to convince people pay for this ablum when there is only a couple decent songs on it. I agree with what someone said earlier--To the Venues just get the license and keep everyone's asses safe, but on the other hand it's getting a bit outta hand imo!
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

It is the venues responsibility to pay the licensing fees associated with live music play. The band can play BUT if an injunction has been served to the venue prohibiting play (which I have never seen done in 50 years of being in the business) then you can't. You really don't have to worry about it. However, if you are a dedicated professional in the music business, it's like not crossing a union strike line. If the venue don't pay...don't play.
jsatt311
Regular
Regular

Post by jsatt311 »

Right on.
Sankofa
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Sankofa »

Recordstar wrote: if an injunction has been served to the venue prohibiting play (which I have never seen done in 50 years of being in the business) then you can't.
Imagine what that would do to the local music scene.
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

I surely hope the local musicians realize that "playing a gig" is not the only thing in the "local" music scene. When you encompass all the factors, writing, recording, booking, promoting, buying equipment, musical arrangements, marketing...playing the gig is a small factor in creating income. And I know you of all people realize this.
Sankofa
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Sankofa »

Recordstar wrote:writing, recording, booking, promoting, buying equipment, musical arrangements, marketing...playing the gig is a small factor in creating income.
That may very well be so, but which of the items you listed create income? It looks like an expense sheet.
MaryFahrenheit

Post by MaryFahrenheit »

This is a touchy subject- I talked to a tiny coffee shop owner recently and she's been receiving constant phone calls asking about shows from someone trying to get her to pay for the licensing. She barely makes a profit and hardly anyone shows up for shows anyhow. She wants to support the scene without banning the artists from their usual 1 or 2-cover sets, and told me she wasn't "allowed" to play a burned copy of a friend's original music cd.