Beware bug spray?

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Beware bug spray?

Post by =^-..-^= »

I now have a spot on the top of my fairly new mando worn down to the bare wood where my right wrist usually rests. The best I can figure out is that I was wearing bug spray with 40% DEET on my arm. (It is really oily.) The stuff must cut through guitar / mando finishes in no time. Wow! Watch out!
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
dofus hipster
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by dofus hipster »

I think I have read this somewhere as well. All my guitars are nitro finished, and would be susceptible!!
No Man Can Eat 50 eggs!
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

Here it is from Martin Guitar's web site:

"Any type of solvent, especially those found in plastic, vinyl and leather straps, will mar the finish, as will alcohol, citric acid, aftershave lotion, insect repellent, and a number of related substances. Perspiration can also damage your guitar, so keep it dry."

Well, the insect repellent was like putting furniture stripper on my mando. It was that quick! Live and learn . . .
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

dofus hipster
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by dofus hipster »

Call it "mojo"......
No Man Can Eat 50 eggs!
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

dofus hipster wrote:Call it "mojo"......
Huh?

Ayn Rand

Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Steel String Bender »

=^-..-^= wrote:
dofus hipster wrote:Call it "mojo"......
Huh?
It's a guitar player "thang". Some believe your instrument "acquires mojo" as it ages and wears through lots of playing, including bumps and scrapes it receives along the way.
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

Oh, okay!

Thanks for the explanation. So, my mando and Willie Nelson's acoustic are now competing for 'mojo-ness.' My mando does sound better, the more I play it. My former instructor said a mando has to be "woken up" by playing it; it gets louder the more it's played.

My 1984 Tama Superstar drums should just have a giant capital M stenciled on them! ;-)

Ayn Rand

Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Steel String Bender »

=^-..-^= wrote:Oh, okay!

Thanks for the explanation. So, my mando and Willie Nelson's acoustic are now competing for 'mojo-ness.' My mando does sound better, the more I play it. My former instructor said a mando has to be "woken up" by playing it; it gets louder the more it's played.

My 1984 Tama Superstar drums should just have a giant capital M stenciled on them! ;-)
Willie's acoustic has that extra-level of "mojo-ness", known as "Through-Hole-Mojo". If the hole in the top of his guitar gets any larger, he'll be able to climb into it to hide from the IRS.

The mando instructor is correct. The sound of almost any acoustic instrument that is properly constructed from solid woods will improve over time. The more it's played, the better it will sound.
AcousticPimp

Post by AcousticPimp »

Anything with DEET in it should never come near humans or any other life form for that matter, which includes guitars of course.
Mine goes to 11
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

A friend of mine said he learned the same lesson about DEET, on the stock on his rifle, when he was hunting.

Ayn Rand