Combo amp suggestions?

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Morphine Child
SuperStar
SuperStar

Combo amp suggestions?

Post by Morphine Child »

So I'm thinking of ridding myself of a Carvin Legacy half stack for the simple convenience of a combo amp (1x12? 2x12?) and to try something different. I've had the Legacy for a few years, and you know, it's good to revamp every now and again.

I'm trying to think outside of what I might normally buy and I'm trying to spend less than a grand. I want something with such a good clean tone, your face will melt. Yes, melt from a good clean tone!

Thanks!
"My friend says he wants to die. He's in a band, they sound like Pearl Jam, the clothes are all black and the music is crap."

Steven Wilson

NoteScribe: Premier [url=http://www.notescribe.net]Note Software[/url]
boxofrocks
Regular
Regular

Post by boxofrocks »

I just got one of the Epiphone Trigger man 60 1x12" combos the other day, picked it up for 100 bucks, it's a good loud amp for cheap, and it sounds great. Looks pretty too. You might like it.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

22 watts, 1x12". Produces that perfect Fender clean like nothing Fender has made in years, crank it and it sings. Lightweight, reliable, and with a killer vibrato channel.

Right around 8 bills. Go play one at B Sharp and fall in love.
therecordinghouse
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by therecordinghouse »

vox ac30 or ac15....
Lynn Graber
www.therecordinghouse.com
Studio and Mobile Recording, Fort Wayne, IN.
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Steel String Bender »

I agree with Silencio. The Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue is a great choice. For lower volume cleans, you can't beat the sweetness of 6V6 power tubes.

However, if you need louder clean tones you should also consider a good used Fender 65 Super Reverb Reissue, or a 65 Twin Reverb Reissue. I've seen near mint examples of both sell used in the $750 to $900 range. Of these two, my personal choice would be the Super.
Morphine Child
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Morphine Child »

Cool, I'll definitely look into the Super Reverb one. I liked the other one, but I noticed it was only 22 watts, and I would need something louder.

Thanks for pointing that one out, and thank you to everyone for your suggestions thus far!
"My friend says he wants to die. He's in a band, they sound like Pearl Jam, the clothes are all black and the music is crap."

Steven Wilson

NoteScribe: Premier [url=http://www.notescribe.net]Note Software[/url]
boxofrocks
Regular
Regular

Post by boxofrocks »

Hey man,
A little more info..... Review..
I just used that Epiphone triggerman 60 for the first time in a live setting Saturday, and I must say I am impressed. I was up against a loud drummer, a bassist with a huge Mesa Boogie stack, and a guitar player with a big Marshal half stack, and this little guy held it's own. I played the whole night on 3 and it sounded nice and full. I think it has alot to do with the over sized cabinet it has. I would check into it if you're on a budget like I am. They sell new for 269 but you can find them used for around 100-150, and you can run an extention cab with it.. Was a good buy, go play one 8)
TheDave
Troll
Troll

Post by TheDave »

I have a Marshall AVT Combo and the tone isn't bad on it. But you might also see if you can find a Johnson Millennium out there somewhere, those things sound amazing and are so versatile if you're playing more than one style of music. They're great for recording too.
AcousticPimp

Post by AcousticPimp »

If you can find it, Fenders 63 reissue Vibroverb's are sweet. 40 watts, all tube, spring reverb and vibrato, Nice clean sound at a pretty loud volume and not quite as heavy as a twin.
Mine goes to 11