Tube vs. Solid state

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

LC Pwince
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by LC Pwince »

Point conceded on extremely high gain metal. Also, bass is different. Our bass player just traded up from a solid state Ampeg head with a Sansamp in front to an SVT head with a tube pre and solid state power section, and it owns. But I'd ask anyone who's considering a solid state amp, when was the last time you saw someone who's tone and playing you respect play a solid state rig onstage, or on a favorite album? My theory is that amp manufacturers make tons of money from people who start out with a little solid state amp, move up to a bigger solid state amp, then move to another latest and greatest solid state amp...all chasing their ideal tone. If you cut straight to the end, where you end up with a sweet tube amp in the first place, you'll probably save money in the long run. In the end, whatever floats your boat.
rezin
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal

Post by rezin »

i thought this was about solid state the label versus tube the label...

but id never heard of tube records...

:roll:
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
boxofrocks
Regular
Regular

Post by boxofrocks »

Love the avatar man, SRV was KING....
Cale
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Cale »

bassjones wrote: Again this is not really applicable to bass amps. There are several high quality mid-priced bass amps with a tube pre/solid state power section. Examples include SWR, Ampeg, Eden, Hartke, etc... The ampeg tube pres have multiple tubes in them as well, while most have a single tube (typically a 12AX7).

I'm actually going away from any tube at all in my next rig, as I'm wanting a really quick hi-fi type response. The new solid state amps are much "warmer" sounding as well.
When my 11 year old SVT3Pro became untrustable I demo'd a new one and a SWR550X. The SWR was killer. I ended up going with another Ampeg because it just had more depth/growl and options I've learned to love, but the SWR was hi-fi and sounded stellar as well. The additional headroom was nice too.

I prefer tubes as well, but whoever said that someone with some good eq smarts can make anything sound decent is spot on.
rezin

Post by rezin »

boxofrocks wrote:Love the avatar man, SRV was KING....
kings live forever.
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
TheDave
Troll
Troll

Post by TheDave »

For me it depends on your budget. If you're going high end, then tube is most def the way to go. But if you don't have a lot of money to drop on your equipment and want something with decent tone/you can turn up then i'm a solid state man.
boxofrocks
Regular
Regular

Post by boxofrocks »

The tube pre I got on eBay arrived today, so I put it to the test. It does significantly warm up the tone, and adds a saturated attack. On clean channel it adds tons of warmth and when you dig in,the single 12ax7a tube really adds a whole new dimension to a solid state amp. It really does work. Best of both worlds, just like Bassjones said... I am not getting the power tube break up, but the pre definitely adds the warmth I was looking for. Especially at lower volume levels.