DEAN GUITARS BABY!!

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

BassPM
Church of Funk!
Church of Funk!

Post by BassPM »

I must comment on this. I don't know anyhting of Mosrite's but rickenbacker and hofners are fine instruments. Just because you aren't into a certain company doesn't mean it's bad. Players need to find instruments that are first comforable, second have good tone(this is a matter of opinion) and third (and probably most importanly) have good enough quality components so that they are tough enough to make it through the abuses that players put on them. A great instrument means something different to every single player. Just because it cost's more than a car or less than an item on Wendy's 99 cent menu doesn't mean someone wont love it. Personally I love Fenders and Fender style instruments. I think Leo had it right with his designs for the comapanies he worked for. I have a jazz bass that in my opinion feels much better than instruments that are 4 times the money I paid for it. I'm selling the Warwick I just bought so that I can buy a Lakland Darryl Jones. TO THE POINT, it comes down to this. A great instrument doesn't make a great player. A player that plays more makes himself better. If a good instrument makes a player practice more ,then most likely they will get better. Now I feel like a nerd. THANKS. Keep playing and pushing yourself NO MATTER WHAT YOU USE!
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I didn't intend to slam on ricks or hofners. Fine instruments indeed. Hey, if they're good enough for Paul McCartney, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee and others, who am I to dog them... I've never played a Mosrite, but I don't recall them being known as very high quality instruments. Useful for certain things, but not as an overall bass.

I too like old fenders and fender inspired basses. The new Fenders aren't very good though, IMHO. There are a lot of better basses available for less money. Especially their 5-strings, which have one of the worst b-strings in the bass world. Mike Lull and Sadowsky both make killer Fender style 5-strings. Of course, they're crazy expensive, but worth it.

I love Laklands! Even the Skyline series isn't bad. I'd rather have a Skyline Lakland than a USA Fender to be honest.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Thakid2u

Post by Thakid2u »

BJ, I didnt take it as you slamming or putting down those companies. Not to many bassist these days know to much about the vintage (in my mind) basses. I dont judge on the visual appeal, more on the sound, the ease of play. Yes looking good is a good thing, but.....

Ricks----Alot of people use them in the pro world. They have their own sound. Add the Ric-O-Sound and a thin neck. Yes, (literally) think Rush, Yes, Beatles, etc. The only real downside, they are a bit body heavy. Then again, what would you expect from a solid neck thru.

Hofners---- If you want a nice bottom sounding bass this is the one. Weighing about 3 pds, it's no problem playing this all night. One of the smallest thinest necks I have ever played. True hollowbody w/o f holes. Versatile sound.

Mosrite---This is a sleeper. If you havent played one PLAY ONE. The Ventures model is the most popular. Think Ventures (hence the name), (if you know who that is...lol, Most of you will, but there will be one person that says..."The who?", no The Ventures.) It's kinda like a gretsch. It has it's own sound, that you can come close to with another guitar, but just cant get that same sound. It's neck is thin and ultra easy to play. Durability is just as good as any other bass. Sound is pretty versatile.

Another one that you should try and find to play is a Hagstom. These have the thinest neck you will find on a bass. While they look kinda funky they sound pretty good.

Here is a link to some of the gear we have. I will link it to the pic of some of the basses. Sorry the pic is awful. Feel free to look around.
http://thakid2u.tripod.com/id1.html

Maybe I have shown this already, but who cares.....lol This is what our bassist plays through now. It's a custom built 8x10 cabinet.

Almost forgot, that while at practice sat, I totally forgot about the Dean Q6 that our bassist has sitting out there. Sounds good and plays great. He had a Yamaha RBX6JM (John Myung from Dream Theatre), but the spacing between the strings was to close for him. It was a great bass other than that. He actually likes this one the best. Except it eats up 9v batterys like it was nothing.
BassPM
Church of Funk!
Church of Funk!

Post by BassPM »

Agreed on fender 5's. Except for the Marcus Miller 5. I wish I had the money for a Sadowsky 70's style jazz.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Have you checked out the Metro series? Those are killer for a lot less money than the USA Sadowsky basses. The Mike Lull basses are also really, really good for not too much coin.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.