Do any of you read the paper?

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Do any of you read the paper?

Post by bassjones »

My letter was printed in Sunday's edition of the Journal Gazette. I've gotten a few comments on it. Mostly positive, and my friend who works for TRF says it was well received.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
jewlee138
Addict
Addict

Post by jewlee138 »

'Talked to the director of 3rf briefly on Tuesday morning about it.

This link will take you to the letter:

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwayne/14685883.html
Last edited by jewlee138 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hot "finger-on-keyboard" action

www.expiredmagazine.com
GxWxLx
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by GxWxLx »

well done....

and oh how the letter below yours pissed me off.
jewlee138
Addict
Addict

Post by jewlee138 »

@ Greg (re. the letter printed below Jones'):

I might not attend the stadium on my own accord, but I would take visiting friends & fam there w/o a doubt.

I also realize the economic benefits of having something OTHER than a lawyer's office downtown ...
Last edited by jewlee138 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

www.expiredmagazine.com
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

Good show, BJones!

I dunno, I think it's time to let TRF die a peaceful, obscure death. Johnny Appleseed Fest, DidFest, RibFest, JazzFest, German Fest, Black Expo, and other worthy gatherings accomplish what 3RF used to much better.

That singing you hear is from the rotund female at the beer tent.
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
jewlee138
Addict
Addict

Post by jewlee138 »

The main thing that frustrates me about 3RF is they have a full-time staff & a Board of Director's that work year-round to produce a week-long festival & they still aren't getting anywhere close to what people want.

Don't getting me wrong, I appreciate the 3RF staff/board members that I have had the pleasure of working with (and I'm positive they work their asses off and also know they are under constant scrutiny) but it is frustrating to know that I, and others like me, bust ass to do events without any hope of reaping a salary, while carrying other full-time jobs and usually produce, overall, better results and receive zero recognition.

www.expiredmagazine.com
adam atherton
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by adam atherton »

i read "the paper".

it's the 8th highest circulated paper in the world, i'll have you know.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

"There is no limit to the good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."

Do you want to do good in your community, or do you want people to see your name in the papers?

Here's a better question. Have any of you ever heard of Senior Information Fair? (Not likely, since members of this forum aren't in the event's demographic.) It is an annual free event that provides a single source of information to Fort Wayne senior citizens and their caregivers on staying safe and independent in their own homes. An impossible miracle occurs each year under the SIF umbrella... warring factions like the two local hospitals and competing media companies work together collaboratively, and nobody grabs the event for their own promotional gain. The reason for this is the tireless mother-hen devotion to SIF of my wife, who attended the early planning meetings, saw that it was in danger of becoming a sounding board for a couple of big-money nursing homes, and wrested control of the event in order to make it the non-partisan, non-promotional, service-focused event it needed to be.

Virtually nobody in the city knows my wife did this. Aside from a few community leaders who have had the pleasure of working with her, nobody knows she created Senior Information Fair, that she gave it its name and its focus and its heart, and that she fought one political battle after another to keep it out of the hands of people who would have turned it into just another method of selling something. It has grown each year, and last September, in its 7th year, it attracted over 1,500 attendants, 70 exhibitors and a full day of speakers and seminars.

This is how things get done: by true servant leaders, not by people who want their work to be recognized.

BTW, the quote above, while widely attributed to Ronald Reagan by people who imagine that the world began with him, was already in wide circulation by the 1950s, attributed to both Harry Truman and General George Marshall, both of whom were likely quoting someone else... and so, in a way, the quote contains it's own proof.
diethyl
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by diethyl »

I've heard talk that Tommy Lee, and DJ Arrow are in the running for 10 grand less than what the TRF board has been talking about paying the VP. Just something that I've heard, and I'm in agreement w/you Mr. Jones.
traumaqueen
Pants Goblin
Pants Goblin

Post by traumaqueen »

Silencio,
I don't quite get exactly what you're going for here.
I very much enjoyed the story about your wife, and it causes me to have respect for her. Largely due to my profession, I also find it inspiring.
But I'm unsure as to how this applies to Jone's letter to the editor......
Just not making the connection,
Bean
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

traumaqueen wrote:Silencio,
I don't quite get exactly what you're going for here.
I very much enjoyed the story about your wife, and it causes me to have respect for her. Largely due to my profession, I also find it inspiring.
But I'm unsure as to how this applies to Jone's letter to the editor......
Just not making the connection,
Bean
I'm thinking he's accusing Jones of writing this letter just to see his name in the paper.

If that's the case...

Way. Off. Base.
traumaqueen
Pants Goblin
Pants Goblin

Post by traumaqueen »

ah, mr. fleek!
always there to catch me up............

:wink:
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

I was responding to Jewlee's frustration with getting no recognition for her work, and making the point that recognition rarely goes to those who are actually doing good.

So it is not I who is way. Off. Base.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

jewlee138 wrote:The main thing that frustrates me about 3RF is they have a full-time staff & a Board of Director's that work year-round to produce a week-long festival & they still aren't getting anywhere close to what people want.

Don't getting me wrong, I appreciate the 3RF staff/board members that I have had the pleasure of working with (and I'm positive they work their asses off and also know they are under constant scrutiny) but it is frustrating to know that I, and others like me, bust ass to do events without any hope of reaping a salary, while carrying other full-time jobs and usually produce, overall, better results and receive zero recognition.
I think it might be this post.

still...
Way. Off. Base.

EDIT:

He posted before I read it.

It ALL makes sense now
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

Yes, you're still WAY.OFF.BASE.

Anyone who knows Julie knows this.