An open letter to young bands...

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Ca$hdollar

Post by Ca$hdollar »

LISTEN UP PLEASE!

On behalf of band referenced as "FB" I want to formally apologize to EVERYONE who has felt dissed, blown off, or not given the attention they felt they deserve by me or any one else in this group.

Though this may be seen as "off the topic" it is under a category which at least 5 comments were directed towards this group, and I want to attempt to calm the waters and set the record straight.

I've heard and read a lot of criticism about this group, WAY too much of it negative, especially when I believe that the individuals in this group are all extremely talented, generous, down-to-earth, nice guys. Remember, first impressions aren't always accurate. Actually, in my experience, they've really told very little about each person as I've gotten to know them. You never know what personal issues that person is dealing with and what's going on in their lives that could come off as being an cocky, mean-hearted, or self-centered.

Personally, I know that many times (especially when I'm at a packed bar...i.e. C-St.) there are dozens of friends/family that I need to say hi to, catch up with, and spend time with in the 15-30 minutes the set break lasts (not to mention bathroom breaks, "fresh air", etc). After all, I don't get to see many of these people very often. As a result, the unfortunate result is that I have avoided conversation and small talk with those whom I don't know or haven't been introduced to. For that, I sincerely apologize. Please understand that I am not intending on dissing anyone in the process, I just get in a mode where I feel I have to talk to all the friends I don't see often so they don't think I am dissing them...so in an attempt not to piss off my friends, I piss off others (UR damned if u do, damned if u don't).

So, Oliver's Army...very good advice...and I am going to try and be more careful about my public actions. But TO ALL NEW BANDS, feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions or whatever. I have been involved in a handful of bands in Ft. Wayne (many of them rather successful by FW standards LOL) & I'd like to be considered a person who can help you...and not lumped in the category of "don't be like him."

And to ALL of you who Hate me, think I'm a d*ck, Ego-maniac, or otherwise, please give me a second chance next time you see me in public. I'll buy you a beer and we'll chat it up. I hate not feeling misunderstood and rejected in my hometown and in the scene that I've been gigging at for the last 10 years.

-Matt

PS. To any SUPER-serious young musicians...there are SO many books and websites devoted to learning the business and launching your product. Do your homework. Everyone that is "Somebody" now was a Nobody at some point in their lives. To make it, you have to work your ass off. Treat music like a full-time job plus overtime. Look past FW...use the clubs here to get your chops up...then tackle the midwest...then when you feel ready, get your band to a major music city and make it happen. You really can do it if you realize it, believe it, and go after it head first.
www.mattcashdollar.com | www.myspace.com/cashsax | www.myspace.com/freakbrothers | www.myspace.com/saxnamedlarry | www.myspace.com/unlikelyalibi | www.myspace.com/beeskneessociety | www.myspace.com/jabberfunk
Ca$hdollar

Post by Ca$hdollar »

Oops, almost forgot...

I read somewhere recently that 80% of success is just showing up. (I believe Woody Allen said that)

So, whenever there is a rehearsal, gig, photo-shoot, band meeting, SHOW UP ON TIME (which really means 10 minutes before the time agreed upon).

$
www.mattcashdollar.com | www.myspace.com/cashsax | www.myspace.com/freakbrothers | www.myspace.com/saxnamedlarry | www.myspace.com/unlikelyalibi | www.myspace.com/beeskneessociety | www.myspace.com/jabberfunk
Shaggydoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Shaggydoo »

Ca$hdollar wrote:next time you see me in public. I'll buy you a beer and we'll chat it up. -Matt
Man, I've never met you but I sure could use that beer! I might even wear my fake moustache disguise and try to get two beers!!!

On another note........your advice to show up on time.....which means be there 10 minutes early......is right on the money. And it's not a difficult thing to do.
Say No to Drugs, Say Yes to Tacos

Imitate, Assimilate, Innovate
Side Hatch Studios
tiny
Regular
Regular

Post by tiny »

Gotta agree.

The key to making it in the music scene, like most businesses (not art forms--playing music for money is a business) is simple.

Underpromise...and overdeliver.

Treat venues, bookers, bar owners, other bands, and audiences with respect.

Don't trash the place. Don't diss the other bands. Stick around after you've played, and support the rest of the bill.

Show up BEFORE you have to...and certainly before the last minute.

Dress appropriately. For some gigs, that's a beater t-shirt and ripped jeans. Some require more thought. A business meeting for your band may mean you need to wash, comb your hair and wear appropriate clothes. Do it. It'll help you get the gig.

Remember that you're being paid to PERFORM. Not to have an extended practice session. Treat every gig like there's someone in the audience that can sign you to a big contract. One day, there might just be.

Promote every performance. Do whatever it takes to draw a crowd.

Work on becoming better...individually and as a band.

You'll notice that I said it was simple. The reason it's simple? Because MANY BANDS DON'T DO ANY OF THESE THINGS! And even more only do some of them. The bands you see out and about, playing regularly, have incorporated most of these things into their daily routine. They're the ones poised to take advantage of that next break...the one that might allow them to break out of the pack.

No one's saying it's going to be easy. You might never get out of the bar scene. But you have to lay the groundwork, or you don't even have a prayer.

DO these things, and at worst, you'll be booked as often as you want locally, and get paid to do what you love...and at best, you might take your music to the next level.

DON'T do these things , and toil in obscurity, playing for beer money. Not that there's anything wrong with playing for beer money, if that's your goal. But if you're any good, I would wish for more for you.

Just recapping (the thread was getting off topic) and tossing in my .02.

Now go out, and market your art!
TINY....
-----------------------------------
TINY TUNES Event and Entertainment Services -Mobile Music, Pro Sound, Booking and Event Planning
tinytunesdjs.com

also occasionally on 92.3 The Fort

Still waiting on confirmation of my new Harrison Square condominium purchase.
Pullimic
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Pullimic »

JalaGaGorr wrote:this is against what is being said here (which i would agree with if i was to play shows) but i say down with shows and trying to get your name out...music is a "personal and magical" thing and selling out (or atleast trying to) sort of ruins the feel and love for the music...if you dont play live it makes it all that more special and unknown to people...sure itd be cool to make lotsa money playing shows but musics not about that its about creating a "fictional world" that expresses your "real world" thoughts and emotions....but if you are a musician im sure youve already thought of this and if you play live no hard feelings as some music is extremely good live and is worth seeing and paying for
being in a band isn't about making money. it's about sharing your art, your creation, and you can't share without playing for people. not to mention sure setting up is work but playing a show is fun and if it isn't maybe you should look for a new band or a different place to play. plus I wouldn't want to be stuck in a band that never leaves the basement, I'd play a show for free at the right place to share and have fun.
Pullimic
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Pullimic »

Ca$hdollar wrote:You never know what personal issues that person is dealing with and what's going on in their lives that could come off as being an cocky, mean-hearted, or self-centered.
a gig is a job, you wouldn't vote for a politician who blows you off or is a d*ck to you and says "you don't understand what I'm going through" it's poor performance and in any other job if you perform poorly you'd be fired. performing doesn't start the minute you hit the stage it starts the minute you book the gig, every time you walk into the venue the spotlight is on you. most of your fans can't get to know you, know everything going on in your lives and for them 1st impression is everything, especially in the music business, it's all about public relations and you have to be able to drop all your baggage and personal issues as soon as you step out into the spotlight so to speak
Garr
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Garr »

Pullimic wrote:being in a band isn't about making money. it's about sharing your art, your creation, and you can't share without playing for people. not to mention sure setting up is work but playing a show is fun and if it isn't maybe you should look for a new band or a different place to play. plus I wouldn't want to be stuck in a band that never leaves the basement, I'd play a show for free at the right place to share and have fun.
It's about that for YOU. I'm not saying that I disagree with you, but I am saying that everyone does what they do musically for their own reasons. Each band has its own directives and ambitions. Just because they don't match with yours doesn't mean that they are wrong. It means they are different.
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Well said, Garr...

While I agree with both the last posts, some people do enjoy playing for money or just gigging for a bunch of friends and the occaisional free beer. As you said, it just makes them different...
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

When you start figuring the costs of buying, upgrading and maintaining equipment, paying $4 for gas, feeding the band, hotels rooms, and all of the other factors that *cost* you money to be in a working band, you WILL start to shift you opinion on the "money".

A working band is not a passing hobby.

Frankly, for survival it is almost imperative to have a solid plan for growth.

It never hurts to be *that* guy in the band. Even if the band fails you take the knowledge, the contacts and the busiess savvy with you.

ALL the *successful* bands and artists I know have a working business plan too.

Even if it is written on a bar napkin.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Oliver's Army wrote:When you start figuring the costs of buying, upgrading and maintaining equipment, paying $4 for gas, feeding the band, hotels rooms, and all of the other factors that *cost* you money to be in a working band, you WILL start to shift you opinion on the "money".

A working band is not a passing hobby.

Frankly, for survival it is almost imperative to have a solid plan for growth.

It never hurts to be *that* guy in the band. Even if the band fails you take the knowledge, the contacts and the busiess savvy with you.

ALL the *successful* bands and artists I know have a working business plan too.

Even if it is written on a bar napkin.
Plus 1,000!!!

As you get older, the money becomes more of a factor. I can't justify the time away from my family, the money spent on equipment, and my tired, grumpy self the morning after for peanuts and beer money anymore. Got to make some money too - at least enough to justify being gone that much. I don't make as much as I could playing in a classic rock/modern country band, and I play music I enjoy immensely, but I'm also not able to be in a prog-fusion band right now because it takes a lot of time to get it right, and there's little payoff in the end other than personal enjoyment. So I play stuff I like, but I play partially for money too. Last band I wasn't "that guy", one of the other guys was. This new band, I'm taking on the "that guy" role. I have a degree in business management/finance, so I'm fine with that role anyway, and I'm probably better suited for it than most musicians.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
GRAVE ROBBER
Regular
Regular

Post by GRAVE ROBBER »

Ca$hdollar wrote:LISTEN UP PLEASE!

On behalf of band referenced as "FB" I want to formally apologize to EVERYONE who has felt dissed, blown off, or not given the attention they felt they deserve by me or any one else in this group.

Though this may be seen as "off the topic" it is under a category which at least 5 comments were directed towards this group, and I want to attempt to calm the waters and set the record straight.

I've heard and read a lot of criticism about this group, WAY too much of it negative, especially when I believe that the individuals in this group are all extremely talented, generous, down-to-earth, nice guys. Remember, first impressions aren't always accurate. Actually, in my experience, they've really told very little about each person as I've gotten to know them. You never know what personal issues that person is dealing with and what's going on in their lives that could come off as being an cocky, mean-hearted, or self-centered.

Personally, I know that many times (especially when I'm at a packed bar...i.e. C-St.) there are dozens of friends/family that I need to say hi to, catch up with, and spend time with in the 15-30 minutes the set break lasts (not to mention bathroom breaks, "fresh air", etc). After all, I don't get to see many of these people very often. As a result, the unfortunate result is that I have avoided conversation and small talk with those whom I don't know or haven't been introduced to. For that, I sincerely apologize. Please understand that I am not intending on dissing anyone in the process, I just get in a mode where I feel I have to talk to all the friends I don't see often so they don't think I am dissing them...so in an attempt not to piss off my friends, I piss off others (UR damned if u do, damned if u don't).

So, Oliver's Army...very good advice...and I am going to try and be more careful about my public actions. But TO ALL NEW BANDS, feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions or whatever. I have been involved in a handful of bands in Ft. Wayne (many of them rather successful by FW standards LOL) & I'd like to be considered a person who can help you...and not lumped in the category of "don't be like him."

And to ALL of you who Hate me, think I'm a d*ck, Ego-maniac, or otherwise, please give me a second chance next time you see me in public. I'll buy you a beer and we'll chat it up. I hate not feeling misunderstood and rejected in my hometown and in the scene that I've been gigging at for the last 10 years.

-Matt

PS. To any SUPER-serious young musicians...there are SO many books and websites devoted to learning the business and launching your product. Do your homework. Everyone that is "Somebody" now was a Nobody at some point in their lives. To make it, you have to work your a#% off. Treat music like a full-time job plus overtime. Look past FW...use the clubs here to get your chops up...then tackle the midwest...then when you feel ready, get your band to a major music city and make it happen. You really can do it if you realize it, believe it, and go after it head first.
I for one, accept your apology.

Thanx Matt. This one letter makes me feel 100% different about you.
Death, where is thy sting?