It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:40 am 
I Been Around
I Been Around

Worst experience I've ever had with a cop:

First time I was ever pulled over. I was about 17 at the time and I was driving a big piece of sh*t 1986 Econoline van that I had painted John Deer Green. It was the middle of winter, cold as hell, and I had the back of the van stuffed full of music equipment that we were going to set up for our first band practice. It was about 10 o'clock at night and a state trooper pulled me over because I had a headlight out. I wasn't speeding or swerving or anything like that. I only had a headlight out, oh yeah and he complained that my muffler was too loud. Anyway, as the cop approached my window he had his hand on his gun. My friend was in the passenger seat with a guitarcase in between his legs. The cop sees it and says, "What is that, a shotgun or a pool stick or what?" I say, "It's a guitar." He then proceeds to make me get out, walk to the back and place my hands on the van. He then patted me down. He even patted down my balls. WTF!? He threatened to search the van several times, but never did. Then I had to go back and sit in the front seat of his car while he ran my information. Then I received a warning ticket and was sent on my way. All because I had forking headlight out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:42 pm 
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

shattered existence wrote:
Worst experience I've ever had with a cop:

First time I was ever pulled over. I was about 17 at the time and I was driving a big piece of sh*t 1986 Econoline van that I had painted John Deer Green. It was the middle of winter, cold as hell, and I had the back of the van stuffed full of music equipment that we were going to set up for our first band practice. It was about 10 o'clock at night and a state trooper pulled me over because I had a headlight out. I wasn't speeding or swerving or anything like that. I only had a headlight out, oh yeah and he complained that my muffler was too loud. Anyway, as the cop approached my window he had his hand on his gun. My friend was in the passenger seat with a guitarcase in between his legs. The cop sees it and says, "What is that, a shotgun or a pool stick or what?" I say, "It's a guitar." He then proceeds to make me get out, walk to the back and place my hands on the van. He then patted me down. He even patted down my balls. WTF!? He threatened to search the van several times, but never did. Then I had to go back and sit in the front seat of his car while he ran my information. Then I received a warning ticket and was sent on my way. All because I had forking headlight out!

1.) You had a headlight out. It's against the law. You got pulled over for it. Nothing wrong with that.

2.) That cop isn't popping into the situation thinking, "Oh, I'm gonna f**k with these band geeks." He's protecting his own ass. For all he knows, that loud kidnapper van with one headlight is full of a bunch of stolen band gear and is being driven by a criminal.

3.) You got a warning. If he really wanted to be a d*ck, he could have given you a ticket for having a headlight out, a noise ordinance ticket, etc.

What exactly is the problem here? Yeah, it was inconvenient for you for what, 10, maybe 15 minutes? The cop was doing his job. Bottom line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:56 pm 
Staff Member
Staff Member

They ALWAYS have one hand on their gun when they approach a car. It's part of their training. It allows them to get to it if need be rather quickly if surprised by a vehicle occupant with a weapon. He separated you two to keep you from signaling each other - also SOP in a threatening situation, which he must have deemed this to be. You got a warning, he lived. And the next time he follows SOP and the passenger really does have a gun, he will probably live to testify in court.

on edit - SOP = Standard Operating Procedure

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:48 pm 
I Been Around
I Been Around

I'm not saying he was a d*ck for pulling me over. That's his job. I had a headlight out, which gave him more than enough reason to pull me over. But there is nothing threatening about a 17 year old kid driving with a headlight out. I was completely cooperative and respectful the entire time. The hand on the gun wasn't a big deal I just threw that in there because it seemed like he was being over paranoid and that is the only time I've ever noticed a cop approaching the car with his hand on his gun. All I'm saying is that forcing a 17 year old kid to assume the position and frisk him because he had a headlight out is completely unnecessary. There was nothing threatening about the situation. If there was anything threatening then why were the other two people in the vehicle never asked to get out of the van and searched and why was the vehicle never searched. I don't know much about SOP's but I'm pretty sure they don't search every person driving with a headlight out. I only got a warning and I'm grateful for that, but I think the officer stepped way over the line of what needed to be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:09 pm 
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

in your mind.

it only sucks when it happens to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:04 am 
Troll
Troll

I have to agree with the overwhelming presence of police patrol in Ft. Wayne. Why this is not a bad thing, it does make things a bit uncomfortable. CW, there are very fine lines when it deal with threats and crimes of that nature. Short story that happend about 2-3 weeks ago. A man goes to the city utilities to pay his water bill. He doesnt like what they are telling him. So he starts running his mouth and becomes a problem. He states that he is going to take care of everyone up there. He then calls the medics (an ambulance) to the city county building and tells them he is having medical problems caused by the stress from the city utilities people. They send him on his way. He then preoceeds to a lawyers office and tells them he wants a $500,000 lawsuit against the city. The lawyers told him forget it. Well to shorten this up, He called 2 more lawyers and was told the same thing. Here is the kicker. After each lawyer told him they would not take his case, he told them he would be up to kill them after he took care of the City people. SO that happened 3 times. The lawyers all locked down their offices, the city had 2 police officers in the lobby, just incase. This man had been charged with charges of threats before, charged with assault (I believe), and attempted suicide. He was in a bank and was not happy with what they told him, so he said I will kill you and myself. It took the cops coming to the bank and a short stand-off to get him in custody. So, now your thinking, ok....Well, after 3 days of trying to locate this guy, they finally do. They tell him he is banned from the City County building, and the 3 lawyers offices. Thats it. NOTHING MORE...all because of how the law reads. I know this all first hand as my mother just happens to be the Manager at city utilities.
While I am just a student in Criminal Justice, (trying to be one of the assholes spoken about) I also had my day and dealings with the law. I understand now that there are to many people doing crime out here, that I dont mind having 30 squad cars drive by me in an hours time.

While it does seem unfair and unjust to us at times when we need them most, you have to look at the other side of the fence. Im not sticking up for them with the story you told us, because that doesnt seem right. But, as I said, look for another reason, other than they are just assholes. Concerning the drug house, maybe an investigation is already underway at that location. The vice and narcotics are very picky regarding their investigations. Maybe not, who knows. In regards to the warrent, who knows, maybe the officer didnt want to do all the paperwork. That's wrong I know, but.....

Just think of this, if we didnt have all these cops around, then society would complain. It's human nature to complain. We all do it. Once again, Im not taking sides, Im not trying to say you shouldnt complain, but just look at all angles and sides before. There are usually good reasons for stupid behaivor. Unless you work at a fast food place and cant make a cheeseburger without Pickles and Onion......THERE IS NO REASON FOR THAT...But that's awhole nother story....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:14 pm 
I Been Around
I Been Around

Aero wrote:
bassjones wrote:
Imagine spending 90% of your time dealing with the worst 10% of society. Now, why are they a little edgy sometimes?

No one is forcing them to take the job. I've heard more stories of cops pulling people over for the same dumb sh^t you were pulled over for (going 3 over the speed limit). It seems like many of them are wasting everyone's time.

Take a look at the job requirements for the FWPD: http://www.fwpd.org/career/?ID=career1166463667
The list of skills are very basic.

The minimum education requirement is a GED? Sorry, but for this job, I think a more extensive study of the law should be required. I know it's preferred, but how many really do it? Anybody can be a cop, they have too much power for requiring so little of applicants.

good idea but i think the main reason that's not required is that so many cities are short cops, as far as the number of cops in fort wayne it's an exception not the norm. on the same idea though you have to have a GED to be handed a gun and join the military and after those guys get out if they want to be a cop they usually are shoe ins for the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:29 pm 
Staff Member
Staff Member

Pullimic wrote:
Aero wrote:
bassjones wrote:
Imagine spending 90% of your time dealing with the worst 10% of society. Now, why are they a little edgy sometimes?

No one is forcing them to take the job. I've heard more stories of cops pulling people over for the same dumb sh^t you were pulled over for (going 3 over the speed limit). It seems like many of them are wasting everyone's time.

Take a look at the job requirements for the FWPD: http://www.fwpd.org/career/?ID=career1166463667

The minimum education requirement is a GED? Sorry, but for this job, I think a more extensive study of the law should be required. I know it's preferred, but how many really do it? Anybody can be a cop, they have too much power for requiring so little of applicants.

good idea but i think the main reason that's not required is that so many cities are short cops, as far as the number of cops in fort wayne it's an exception not the norm. on the same idea though you have to have a GED to be handed a gun and join the military and after those guys get out if they want to be a cop they usually are shoe ins for the job.

Not anymore. Most police departments actually shy away from combat vets especially and vets in general anymore. Completely different mindset with Community Oriented Policing strategies (where the term COP comes from)...

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:44 pm 
I Been Around
I Been Around

didn't know that...i still see alot of ex military going into police work but then again most of the guys I know were trying to be a cop before they went into the military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:11 pm 
RockStar
RockStar

bassjones wrote:
Pullimic wrote:
Aero wrote:
bassjones wrote:

Not anymore. Most police departments actually shy away from combat vets especially and vets in general anymore. Completely different mindset with Community Oriented Policing strategies (where the term COP comes from)...

I thought Cop came from the term "copper" which was slang used by immigrants in referece to the copper badges worn by police patrolling the streets, and primarily the docks at which immigrants arrived, at least thats what i thought. It seems to me it is much like the term 4:20, its true origin is always disputed and every one has an answer.

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question51093.html
http://www.eduqna.com/Words-Wordplay/22 ... rds-4.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:09 pm 

Anyone who knows people involved in unsavory activities in this town can tell you that the police here are corrupt as HELL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:35 pm 
RockStar
RockStar

SolidHavoc wrote:
Anyone who knows people involved in unsavory activities in this town can tell you that the police here are corrupt as HELL.

If your involved in unsavory activities, I doubt you would have a positive of the police regardless.