Something Different!

Looking to pick up some new talent? Wanting to form or join a band? It all starts here.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

doublebassdude69

Something Different!

Post by doublebassdude69 »

I’m a bass player who plays both the electric bass guitar and electric and acoustic upright basses. I’m looking to put together an interesting project that would cross several musical genres and combine elements of alt country, western swing, cowpunk, folk rock, and rockabilly into a blend of acoustic and electric music. Influences and style comparisons would include but not be limited to Hank Williams III, The North Mississippi Allstars, The Drive-By Truckers, Whiskeytown, BR5-49, Wilco, Son Volt, The Old 97’s, Uncle Tupelo, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Gun Club, Wayne Hancock, etc. As you can see, the possibilities are wide open and would leave plenty of room for original creativity and self expression!
A vocalist, a guitarist or two, and a drummer would be needed, as would individuals able to play any other instrumentation (piano, lap steel, fiddle, claw hammer banjo, mandolin, harmonica, etc.), able to sing and able or willing to write original material. A place to practice might not hurt either, unless the Jam Crib sounds like a possibility! The band would be just for fun mainly, at first, with gigs and recordings a possibility at some point if the right musicians and opportunities presented themselves!
If interested, drop me a line and let me know so we can begin trying to wade through the scheduling and logistics nightmare required to put together a band and make it work!
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Steel String Bender »

I'm an experienced guitar player who would be interested in a project like this. The original creativity and self-expression aspects are especially appealing to me.

I'm 46 years old, and I've been playing guitar since the age of 12. I'm well versed in a variety of electric and acoustic playing styles, and have played professionally in multiple musical genres. I was most recently the lead guitarist in the R&B horn band "Lowlife Socialites", which broke up in December of 2006.

I'm also a multi-instrumentalist, with varying degrees of skill depending on the instrument. I also play Lap Steel, Bass Guitar, and Keyboards.

I'm able to sing in a clear baritone voice suitable for background vocals. My upper range tops out at "G" over middle "C" in full voice.

I'm a published songwriter, and I derive a good portion of my musical enjoyment from the creation of music.

I own a complete PA system with tri-amped mains, and bi-amped monitors. I have rehearsal space available, but it's 45 to 50 minutes outside of Fort Wayne.

Last but not least, I have no alcohol or chemical dependence issues. I prefer to work with people who aren't struggling with those demons.
fredsanford

Post by fredsanford »

sounds interesting....guess we could keep each other posted if other players appear
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Steel String Bender wrote:I'm an experienced guitar player who would be interested in a project like this. The original creativity and self-expression aspects are especially appealing to me.

I'm 46 years old, and I've been playing guitar since the age of 12. I'm well versed in a variety of electric and acoustic playing styles, and have played professionally in multiple musical genres. I was most recently the lead guitarist in the R&B horn band "Lowlife Socialites", which broke up in December of 2006.

I'm also a multi-instrumentalist, with varying degrees of skill depending on the instrument. I also play Lap Steel, Bass Guitar, and Keyboards.

I'm able to sing in a clear baritone voice suitable for background vocals. My upper range tops out at "G" over middle "C" in full voice.

I'm a published songwriter, and I derive a good portion of my musical enjoyment from the creation of music.

I own a complete PA system with tri-amped mains, and bi-amped monitors. I have rehearsal space available, but it's 45 to 50 minutes outside of Fort Wayne.

Last but not least, I have no alcohol or chemical dependence issues. I prefer to work with people who aren't struggling with those demons.
*This* ad is how you get the gig.

Kudos.
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Thanks Ollie!

I'd like to take part in something in which the music is interesting, and the performance level of the musicians is well above average, or better.

I still believe there is room in our market for a great band that wants to stretch outside the traditional borders of classic rock, and top-40 country.
Brandon
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Brandon »

I'm a percussionist/drummer, available to jam and try something new, see what happens.
ix

Post by ix »

I'd be interested in such a project - I play guitar and keys, sing, compose, have stage and studio experience, and appreciate all unpopular musical styles.

With the exception of a p.a. and a practice place, I could pretty much say 'ditto' to Steel String Bender's post.
2manynotes

Post by 2manynotes »

Just want to tell all of you that Steel String Bender is not playin'. He's one of the most naturally talented and versatile guitar players I've seen or worked with around here.

He can sing the occasional killer lead besides providing harmonies without much practice.

He's also that rarity among musicians -- a nice and reliable guy, who won't be the one to drag you down, and who has confidence without much arrogance. Like I said, a rarity.

He'd be an asset to the best band in town, except where screaming is a band's measure of excellence...

No, he didn't pay me and doesn't know I posted this. Just wanted to confirm he's got the chops.
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

2manynotes wrote:Just want to tell all of you that Steel String Bender is not playin'. He's one of the most naturally talented and versatile guitar players I've seen or worked with around here.

He can sing the occasional killer lead besides providing harmonies without much practice.

He's also that rarity among musicians -- a nice and reliable guy, who won't be the one to drag you down, and who has confidence without much arrogance. Like I said, a rarity.

He'd be an asset to the best band in town, except where screaming is a band's measure of excellence...

No, he didn't pay me and doesn't know I posted this. Just wanted to confirm he's got the chops.
Thanks for the kind words man! Your check is in the mail. :wink:

2manynotes and I were in a band together a few years ago. We played a lot of gigs on the "Critter's Tour". (Legions, Eagles, Elks, and Moose Lodges) :lol:

He's a talented keyboard player and vocalist, who also happens to be a very intelligent guy. He's also motivated to gig a lot, so put him to work people!

Ok, on to the next order of business.

It's not my intent to offend, but is anyone here serious about trying to do something, or is this thread destined to fade down the page into obscurity?
homebrew
Troll
Troll

Post by homebrew »

Once you get something put together, shoot me a message and we'll get you down here in Lafayette. People dig that stuff here. And in Indy/B'ton/L'ville
http://www.moonshinemasonandtherotgutgang.com
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Re: Something Different!

doublebassdude69 wrote:I’m a bass player who plays both the electric bass guitar and electric and acoustic upright basses. I’m looking to put together an interesting project that would cross several musical genres and combine elements of alt country, western swing, cowpunk, folk rock, and rockabilly into a blend of acoustic and electric music. Influences and style comparisons would include but not be limited to Hank Williams III, The North Mississippi Allstars, The Drive-By Truckers, Whiskeytown, BR5-49, Wilco, Son Volt, The Old 97’s, Uncle Tupelo, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Gun Club, Wayne Hancock, etc. As you can see, the possibilities are wide open and would leave plenty of room for original creativity and self expression!
A vocalist, a guitarist or two, and a drummer would be needed, as would individuals able to play any other instrumentation (piano, lap steel, fiddle, claw hammer banjo, mandolin, harmonica, etc.), able to sing and able or willing to write original material. A place to practice might not hurt either, unless the Jam Crib sounds like a possibility! The band would be just for fun mainly, at first, with gigs and recordings a possibility at some point if the right musicians and opportunities presented themselves!
If interested, drop me a line and let me know so we can begin trying to wade through the scheduling and logistics nightmare required to put together a band and make it work!
Would you care to update us on how this is going?
doublebassdude69

Post by doublebassdude69 »

Still looking for the right line-up of musicians, but have been working a bit more overtime at work than usual the last few weeks and have have a bout with the flu this week, so its slower going that I'd like it to be! Will be in touch, though! Thanx for the response and interest shown!
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I know this topic is really old, but if you intersted jamming with some harmonica, let me know.