Cubs Near One-Year Deal For Cliff Floyd

Talk your sports here. Not there! Here! :)

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

7WetCigarettes
SuperStar
SuperStar

Cubs Near One-Year Deal For Cliff Floyd

Post by 7WetCigarettes »

ESPN.COM

CHICAGO -- Cliff Floyd and the Chicago Cubs are nearing agreement on a one-year contract, a deal that may include an option for 2008 that the outfielder can control.

Floyd
Floyd, who was born in Chicago, is likely to make a decision this week. Several AL West teams and Pittsburgh also have shown interest in the 34-year-old left-handed hitter -- Pirates manager Jim Tracy managed Floyd at Double-A.

Limited to 332 at-bats last year with the New York Mets because of an injured Achilles tendon, Floyd likely would be a backup with Chicago. Alfonso Soriano probably will wind up in center, with Matt Murton in left and Jacque Jones in right.

Floyd hit .244 with 11 homers and 44 RBIs last season, and had surgery on his left foot in October. New York replaced him in left with Moises Alou, a free agent who agreed to a contract in October.

An All-Star in 2001 with Florida, Floyd hit .273 with 34 homers and 98 RBIs for the Mets in 2005.

His talks with the Cubs were reported Sunday by the Chicago Sun-Times.
music, cubs, work, eat, sleep....repeat.....
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

He'd be a great addition to the bench.

I hope Lou doesn't platoon him and Murton, though.
7WetCigarettes
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by 7WetCigarettes »

ditto that
music, cubs, work, eat, sleep....repeat.....
rezin
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal

Post by rezin »

i enjoy cliff floyd...
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

A few years ago, I would have loved to have him in the OF. However, a few achilles injuries later, I'd rather have his bat off the bench and not have another defensive liability in the outfield.
supwichya

Post by supwichya »

word. I think Murton is the real deal though. Have to see if the club has enough patience to keep him around.

I remember sitting in the left field bleachers at Wrigley when the Marlins were in town and Floyd really took a beating from all the fans out there. Name calling, beer throwing, you name it but he took it all in stride.