bwohlgemuth - That Weird Guy with the Head Banging Computer

Use this forum to start a thread about yourself. Please take the time to read to rules and regs before posting.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

bwohlgemuth - That Weird Guy with the Head Banging Computer

Post by bwohlgemuth »

Brian Wohlgemuth -

Born Oak Lawn, IL (south suburbs of Chicago...GO SOX!) and the only child of either my mom or dad. Parents split when I was six, dad wanted to become an airline pilot and mom didn't want to move (that's the nice version of things). Stayed in Oak Lawn my entire childhood in the same house. Mom's side of the family is the musical one, my mom has been in choirs since before I was born. Aunt was a piano major/music teacher, you get the gist of the story.

Started out playing my Service Merchandise drum set when I was eight/nine with my best friend of now 28+ years. He'd come over to the house and I'd wonder how much trouble I would get in if I played "Highway to HELL" too loudly. Moved to guitar when I wanted to be Eddie Van Halen and he wanted to be Neil Peart.

Of course, since my buddies played drums and guitar, we had to put a band together. At 14, we saved up $150 and recorded a four song demo in my guitar teachers basement (which is now Hair Bear Studios in Chicago). We thought it was awesome, the next big band to hit the 80's hair band scene. Yes, it was a Christian band because my buddies were all born-again. And yes, to this day, I will never play it in front of anyone. It sucked. Massively.

Hardest point of my musical career...when I got kicked out of the band by my best friend. I hardly practiced, and they wanted to record more demos with someone who could play leads. I found out when the new guitarist showed up with his gear and I was sent packing.

But getting kicked out of the band was a good thing, at least I thought the time due to the fact that I had a girlfriend. Somehow through the all the hormones and inadequate supervision, she got pregnant. It was my senior year and I was getting ready to head off to be a Physics major at Northern Illinois University. Spent the summer working and getting ready for college which I thought was going to be a breeze. I was a science geek, specifically in nuclear physics and planned on working either at FermiLab or Argonne for the rest of my life.

First semester, freshman year my girlfriend found another guy, which pretty much screwed me up. I wallowed in self pity for pretty much my entire freshman year, failing some really easy classes because I could sleep in late every morning.

Next summer, I worked my ass off to avoid seeing my ex and to try to make enough money for school. Spent it all on crap. Went to school, screwed that up to. Got a nice letter telling me not to come back. Mom told me the same thing, so did Dad. Went to Kishwaukee College and did miserably there as well. Was trying to put any cash I had together to move back with my friends when I got a job at the phone company.

Spent the next two years working full time at GTE until the fateful day came and the company closed the DeKalb office. Got the offer to move to Fort Wayne, took it and worked on Wayne Trace for years. Met my wife at work, got laid off, took another job with Fort Wayne Internet, then went to where I work now. In between all of that my wife and I adopted four kids and have fostered several others over the years.

I've ran a few message boards (the biggest one was the defunct metallicasucks.com board) and I occasionally rip one off at Woogieworld.

Right now, I'm playing in a cover band out of South Whitley. Would love to write more of my original stuff, but in between school, work, kids, band....you get the picture.

Pics of kids here. Pic of me here. Better pic of me in heaven here.
GladysDJeffreys
Troll
Troll

Re: bwohlgemuth - That Weird Guy with the Head Banging Compu

Post by GladysDJeffreys »

Well, it is tough sometimes when you have really pressure from the family. For example, your mother wanted to make your doctor and your father wanted to make you engineer and you wanted to become a musician so it is really hard to decide what to do? You can grab writing essay service in such important decisions from professionals.