The Senate

To keep the music chat from being un-interupted send all political opinons here. This is fortwayneMUSIC.com after all.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

The Senate

Helps small states have a say in national government.
83%
Unfairly under-represents larger states.
17%

Total votes: 6

mattjericho
RockStar
RockStar
Location: Dayton, first in flight, last in minor leauge hockey attendance.

The Senate

Post by mattjericho »

What do you think?
[b]Okay, think of what little patience I have as, oh, I don't know, your virginity. You always thought it would be there, until that night Junior Year when you were feeling a little down about yourself and your pal Kevin, who just wanted to be friends, well, he dropped by and he brought a copy of About Last Night and a four-pack of Bartels & James and woo hoo hoo, it was gone forever - just like my patience is now.
[/b]
Travis Fulk

Post by Travis Fulk »

THE SENATE ISNT FAIR. WYOMING IS AS STRONG AS CALIFORNIA. OKAY REAL FAIR. SCREW WHYOMING I DONT CARE. I WENT TO WHYOMING ONCE...IT SUCKED. BUT INDIANA SUCKS LIKE TWENTY FIVE TIMES WORSE, EASY.
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

The Senate was a product of the Connecticut Compromise at the time the Constitution was written. The followers of the Virginia Plan wanted representation by population, which the small states knew would keep them from having any political voice in Congress. The small states wanted the New Jersey Plan, which gave every state two votes in Congress, regardless of size, and the large state delegates objected, saying that gave small states too much power. The compromise said that we shold have BOTH types of Congress, or the bicameral houses. The Constitution is known as a "bundle of compromises" (3/5 Compromise, Slave Trade Compromise, Connecticut Compromise.) It wouldn't have been ratified by 9 of the 13 states otherwise, and we would have had to live with the fractious Articles of Confederation, which were good in principle, but were unworkable in real life. (I know someone is going to post defending the Articles now, and the whole State vs. Federal power thing.)

The Senate is only as good or bad as the Senators are. For the most part, it is a more stable institution than the House.
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."