push for a playoff

To keep the music chat from being un-interupted send all political opinons here. This is fortwayneMUSIC.com after all.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

vv1122365

push for a playoff

Post by vv1122365 »

PITTSBURGH -- It looked like Alfredo Simons bubble was about to burst. After being one of the biggest surprises of the young season for the Cincinnati Reds by ably filling in for injured starting pitcher Mat Latos, Simon hit a rough patch in the first inning Wednesday night. He walked three batters in a row to force in a run. Then, just like that, the right-hander went back to being dominant, pitching into the seventh inning despite the erratic early control, and Jay Bruce drove in a run for a fifth consecutive game as the Reds beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 5-2. "It was cold and I was having a hard time feeling the ball," said Simon, pitching on a blustery night when the game-time temperature was 50 degrees. "After that first inning, I felt a lot better and pitched like Ive been pitching. Simon (3-1) worked 6 2-3 innings and allowed two runs on four hits and five walks while striking out four. Simon has pitched at least six innings in each of his four starts this season as a replacement for the injured Mat Latos and has a 1.30 ERA. Simon pitched exclusively in relief the previous two years. "Hes been terrific," Reds manager Bryan Price said. "Hes been an extremely versatile pitcher for us the last two-plus seasons. Hes always been a talented guy, but hes really found himself and made himself into a very good-looking starting pitcher." Bruce had two hits and knocked in the final run of the decisive three-run fifth inning against Charlie Morton (0-3) that gave the Reds a 4-2 lead. Billy Hamilton also had two hits for Cincinnati, which stole four bases while winning seven of 10 games since a 3-7 start. "We took advantage of what we could because this is team that might not give you a lot most nights," Bruce said. "We tried to put some pressure on the defence." Jonathan Broxton pitched a scoreless ninth inning, despite allowing two hits, for his third save. Andrew McCutchen had two hits and homered for the third consecutive night for the Pirates, who lost for the 10th time in 13 games. Morton also had control issues, walking five in six innings while giving up four runs -- three earned -- and four hits with four strikeouts. "I was yanking my fastball all night," he said. "There were times were I was trying to go inside on left-handed hitters and missing in the right-handed batters box. I was literally missing by 3 feet." The Reds used their speed to go ahead in a fifth inning that included two stolen bases and the second throwing error of the game by catcher Chris Stewart. NOTES: Pittsburgh C Russell Martin was a late scratch because of a miscommunication. Martin, who is 0-for-7 against Simon, thought he was getting Wednesday off while manager Clint Hurdle thought he and Martin had decided Thursday would be an off day. ... Reds LHP Aroldis Chapman threw early batting practice, the first time he had faced hitters since suffering fractures of his eye and nose along with a mild concussion March 19 when he was hit by a line drive off the bat of Kansas Citys Salvador Perez. Chapman pitched from behind a protective screen and the next step is for him to throw batting practice without the screen sometime this weekend when the Reds visit Atlanta. ... Cincinnati INF/OF Skip Schumaker will report to the Reds extended spring training camp on Friday at Goodyear, Ariz., as he continues to rehab the left shoulder he dislocated while diving for a ball in the outfield during a spring training game March 21. ... Pittsburgh 1B Travis Ishikawa cleared waivers and elected free agency after declining an outright assignment to Triple-A Indianapolis. He was designated for assignment last Friday. ... The Pirates will recall RHP Brandon Cumpton from Indianapolis to start Thursday against LHP Tony Cingrani (1-2, 3.22) in the finale of the four-game series. Steve Larmer Jersey . -- C.J. Wilson parked his car and laughed while signing autographs for faceless fans who handed bats, balls and cards to the pitcher from the other side of a brick wall. Jonathan Toews Jersey . Hawkins severely sprained his left ankle while making a diving catch during training camp and went on injured reserve with a designation he could return midway through the season. He was back at practice Wednesday. http://www.officialblackhawksfanstore.com/authentic-clark-griswold-blackhawks-jersey/ . Trailing 2-1 from the first leg, Fiorentina levelled on aggregate in the 14th minute when Joaquin Sanchez Rodriguez headed back a long ball from David Pizarro and Pasqual smashed home an angled volley. Artem Anisimov Jersey . Now comes an off-season of questions about manager Matt Williams decisions and a handful of key roster choices, including what to do about Ryan Zimmerman, whether to sign Jordan Zimmermann and Ian Desmond to long-term deals, and how to upgrade an offence that fell flat in October. Marcus Kruger Jersey . Orlandos Glen Davis tried to get in the way, only to be driven back into the padding under the basket as the Pelicans forward slammed home a windmill jam.FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Santonio Holmes is close to playing again for the New York Jets. After missing five games because of a hamstring injury, the wide receiver was limited in practice Wednesday but coach Rex Ryan was optimistic Holmes could be on the field Sunday at Buffalo. "I think now hes in a good spot and ready to return," Ryan said. "In my opinion, I think hell play. Well see as the week goes on, but I feel pretty good about him playing." Holmes went down in the Jets 38-13 loss at Tennessee on Oct. 3 and has been rehabilitating since. It appeared he might have a chance at playing in the Jets last game against New Orleans on Nov. 3, but was kept out and used the bye-week break to continue to heal. "He had a major hamstring injury," Ryan said. "It was the worst one weve had this year, by far. He was trying to come back and he did a great job in rehab. I think at the end, it got closer and closer. "Could he have played against New Orleans? If it was the Super Bowl, maybe. But Im not sure of that." Holmes, speaking after practice, acknowledged that hes excited about the prospects of playing this weekend, but is trying to remain cautiously optimistic. "At this point, its still day by day," he said. "Im inching a lot closer to playing and I just have to get the green light from the trainers. I can say, Yeah, I want to play, but the production on the field at practice and during the rehab stuff has to be drastically improved for them to give me the green light." His return would be a big boost to the Jets receiving corps, which will be without Jeremy Kerley for at least a few weeks with a dislocated elbow. Holmes, who missed most of last season with a foot injury, has 10 catches for 243 yards and a TD in four games. "At this point, being 5-4, we need all of our hands on deck," Holmes said. "So to get an opportunity to play with this team and to push for a playoff run is something that all of us want around here. I definitely have got to continue to take it one day at a time and be smart about the decision I want to make for the team and not just for myself." When healthy, Holmes is a proven playmaker and a player who commands attention from opposing defences. That could open opportuniities for others, including Stephen Hill, who was held without a catch against New Orleans and has just 10 receptions for 107 yards in the five games Holmes has been sidelined.dddddddddddd The Jets have had to rely on contributions from unlikely sources in recent weeks, such as David Nelson, Josh Cribbs, Greg Salas and Zach Sudfeld -- all of whom who werent on the team until last month. "Tone definitely brings a lot of energy to our offence and veteran leadership," rookie quarterback Geno Smith said. "Hes obviously a tremendous playmaker and can make plays out on the field. Its just good to have him back. Hes a guy who definitely was a major part of this offence and we missed having over the span of time he wasnt here." Smith and Holmes were still working on building a rapport at the time of the receivers injury. Holmes was gradually worked back into the offence during training camp as he healed from his foot injury, and that slowed the chemistry. There were simple things such as knowing the routes Holmes likes to run, how Smith delivers the football and developing a trust in each other that the two are just getting back to improving. "At this point right now, its about moving forward and looking forward for what we can do now," Holmes said, "and not worry about what we didnt have in the beginning." Theres more good news for Smith and the Jets offence: Tight ends Kellen Winslow Jr. and Jeff Cumberland are expected to return. Winslow is back off a four-game suspension for violating the NFLs performance-enhancing substances policy, while Cumberland missed New Yorks last game because of a concussion. "It makes our offence, I think, not only more diverse, but it gives is a chance to exploit some matchups," Smith said. Kerley didnt practice, as expected, and Hill was limited with foot and knee ailments, but Ryan downplayed those. "I think hes had some of those (injuries)," Ryan said of Hill. "And, again, he practice. He was limited, but I dont know how limited. He looked pretty good to me." Defensive end Leger Douzable (illness) and linebacker Garrett McIntyre (knee) did not practice, while defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis (back) and backup running back Alex Green (hamstring) were limited. cheap falcons jerseys cheap ravens jerseys cheap bills jerseys cheap bears jerseys cheap bengals jerseys cheap cowboys jerseys cheap lions jerseys cheap texans jerseys cheap colts jerseys cheap jaguars jerseys cheap chiefs jerseys cheap rams jerseys cheap dolphins jerseys cheap vikings jerseys cheap saints jerseys cheap giants jerseys cheap jets jerseys cheap eagles jerseys cheap steelers jerseys cheap 49ers jerseys ' ' '