Yellow vs Blue

To keep the music chat from being un-interupted send all political opinons here. This is fortwayneMUSIC.com after all.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Yellow vs Blue

Post by WBOB »

Notice:

Fort Wayne property owners.

You can either sign the yellow petition for the passing
of City Councils approved 1st installment
of $50,000,000.00 to be raised to better the infrastructure
of FWCS. This will raise property taxes substantially
and permanently.

Or, you can sign the blue petition to be against the ability
for an entity not directly answerable to voters, to force
this tax increase on us that doesn't even answer FWCS
accountability on increasing failure on test scores and
rising drop out rates.

Both of sides will be going door to door. Probably run into
this at all the libraries.

Would love to hear from any local teachers here.

Guess which one I'm signing.

Less is always more
Sankofa
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Sankofa »

Until test scores are shown to have some reflection on student success (beyond parameters deemed politically expedient), they have no room in my wheelhouse.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Sankofa wrote:Until test scores are shown to have some reflection on student success (beyond parameters deemed politically expedient), they have no room in my wheelhouse.
Test scores are meaningless at the high end, but over 50% of 7th graders who can't pass a basic proficiency examination in math is disturbing.

I don't blame the teachers, I blame the parents, and I definitely don't think you can blame it on not having air conditioning :roll:
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Sankofa
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Sankofa »

bassjones wrote:
Sankofa wrote:Until test scores are shown to have some reflection on student success (beyond parameters deemed politically expedient), they have no room in my wheelhouse.
Test scores are meaningless at the high end, but over 50% of 7th graders who can't pass a basic proficiency examination in math is disturbing.

I don't blame the teachers, I blame the parents, and I definitely don't think you can blame it on not having air conditioning :roll:
Speaking as someone who has a second story classroom, it's damn near impossible to get kids to do much of anything when the room temperature is close to that of a sauna.
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

It doesn't cost $50,000,000 for an A/C.

I will be signing Blue. If any Yellow people come to my door, I will chase them off my lawn in my underwear.
http://www.facebook.com/sevesd
http://www.myspace.com/sevesd
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

I would think that if the FWCS is capable of getting private money for this sort of thing without forcing a tax on property owners.

And I think Sankofa's first statement is a bit ignorant. How can you think that test scores have "zero" reflection of student success? I am not saying good grades = good student, but to say that it has no reflection, c'mon?

Back to topic, I don't think I would sign either petition, honestly...
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
Sankofa
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Sankofa »

deek wrote: And I think Sankofa's first statement is a bit ignorant. How can you think that test scores have "zero" reflection of student success? I am not saying good grades = good student, but to say that it has no reflection, c'mon?
I didn't mention zero. I just feel it incumbent for those who deem tests to be the end all be all for measuring success to prove the long term value of their assessments before basing all policy around their results.
lbanks
Regular
Regular

Post by lbanks »

I'm going yellow. I'd rather my money goes to schools and libraries than 'economic developement' that does nothing except close my favorite liquor store.
:^D
What!
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Sankofa wrote:
bassjones wrote:

Speaking as someone who has a second story classroom, it's damn near impossible to get kids to do much of anything when the room temperature is close to that of a sauna.
Good point, and I think you're at my daughter's school and she will be on the 2nd floor next year. I still say, start a week later, cut Winter vacation to 5 days, cut out the Fridays off for Parent-Teacher conference weeks, and end two weeks earlier, then the heat's a complete non-factor, and we just saved the taxpayers of this fine city half a billion dollars.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-

www.bradjonesbass.com
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
martymieux8266
Regular
Regular

Post by martymieux8266 »

since when is fifty million half a billion?
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

martymieux8266 wrote:since when is fifty million half a billion?
It is actually 500,000,000.00 NOT 50,000,000.00.

It is a half BILLION...and stupid...

Chris
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Post by MrSpall »

I'm with Mr Jones as far as shortening the school year to make heat less of a factor. Heat does affect a student's ability to learn.

It comes down to Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Only when certain basic needs are met, can a child (or anyone for that matter) progress and learn.

If the student spends more time trying to keep their brow sweat off the test, than answering the test's questions, it's gonna hurt their score.
www.myspace.com/the1947californiacupcakecompany

www.indianajoshandtheblogofdoom.blogspot.com

We all live in a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Wow, Maslow. I'm impressed :) I still haven't been approached by either group. Anybody got a blue one I can sign?
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
Krieves
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Krieves »

I am just sick of my property taxes going up and up.
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

Krieves wrote:I am just sick of my property taxes going up and up.
Ding ! Ding !

An unfortunate byproduct is the encouragement for existing
citizens or anyone moving into this area to go into
the lesser tax rate (ie: county)

Yup, happens every time. Raising taxes dampens economies.

Purpose defeated.

Less is always more