OK,..So Imus...

To keep the music chat from being un-interupted send all political opinons here. This is fortwayneMUSIC.com after all.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

OK,..So Imus...

Post by WBOB »

OK,.. so he made racist, hateful comments to get him fired from TV/Radio.

MSNBC-TV/ CBS radio fired him for one reason only, MONEY!
He has made them millions of dollars over the years through
advertising revenues.

It's not profitable for them to continue airing his program.
Oddly, G.E. is the proud owner of "songs/artists" that objectify,
degrade, and demean women, especially black women while
spewing things 1000x worse than Imus said in a cold and calculating
way without having to aplogize to anyone?

Can't leave out the Jesse Jackson/Al Sharptons who have led
this campaign to rid the world of Don Imus. Both of these
"Reverends" are ministers of race baiting, race exploitation, and
using race to extort money out corporations and individuals.

If Jackson and Sharpton were being held to the same standards of speech
they are asking everyone to hold Imus to, they would have both been
gone from the public scene a LONG time ago.

*As a side note, the Duke LaCrosse players had all rape charges dropped
and were declared innocent of all charges. For 13 months both Jackson
and Sharpton were running to North Carolina to insert themselves into
that situation, literally convicting them before any real facts had come out.

So when we can expect to see Jackson/Sharpton apologizing for racist/insensitive
statements they said about the three men who were
wrongfully accused.

Bottomline: The 1st ammendent has just had another chip
knocked out of it. :roll:

Less is always more
lbanks
Regular
Regular

Post by lbanks »

Ignore it, the next distraction is just around the corner. :D
What!
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

I disagree...

While I will gladly pay money to see George Carlin berate everything and everyone, its a different story with Imus. I paid the ticket price and expect a show from Carlin and chose to do so. I understand that nothing is sacred and that it *may* offend me

But with Imus people tune in expecting a certain level of irreverence. But his show is still on *public* air with certain moral and legal expectations, rules, guidlines and filters.

No one denied Imus the right to say what he wants. The public, the advertisers and the owners decide where the line of bad taste lies. This line shifts with the wind and is nearly impossible to determine where it is.

From day to day, shock jocks, show hosts and commentators tip toe a thin line of public outrage and they dance as close as they can to it without stepping over it.

Playing with fire will get you burned thay say.

Imus is giulty of the same thing, but he failed to recognize the line or decided to push it until it broke.

It was his right to do so. He was not jailed for it and no charges came from it.

He did however cross it and now he pays the price for the sake of *comedy*.

I feel no sympathy for kids who hurt themselves showing off for stupid YouTube videos.

I feel the same about Imus.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Not just the Duke Lacrosse players, but how can the Rev. Jackson criticize anybody for racially insensitive comments? Hymietown anyone? And this wouldn't be the first time Al Sharpton is responsible for innocent white men being convicted for a rape they didn't commit - only the last time the poor guy served more than 8 years in prison before the "victim" felt guilty enough to come clean that Sharpton had convinced her to i.d. a white guy in a mug book after she was raped by a black man. - Tawanna Bradley (spelling???) case.

At any rate, Don Imus is a moron and a scumbag. What he said was ignorant, mean, racist, etc... But he wasn't fired for making racially insensitive remarks or they would have done it the next day. He was fired after sponsors started feeling the heat (extortion) from Sharpton and Jackson, et. al.

Anybody listen to Colin on 1380 this morning? Great interview with Jason Whitlock on this subject. Jackson and Sharpton are in it for the shakedown, Vivian Clark and Rutgers are in it for the recruiting and attention (money) it's bringing to the program, and nobody really gives a rat's ass about those young ladies, who probably didn't even know who Don Imus was, and have been far more victimized and traumatized by the irresponsible actions of their "defenders and protectors" than they were by Imus' idiotic words.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Post by MrSpall »

Actually jonesy I'm gonna disagree with you on just one point. Vivian Stringer and the Rutgers program do seem ultimately concerned about the well-being of these players. Did you catch their press conference the other day? It wasn't what Stringer said that convinced me (Never trust anyone at a press conference), but what her players had to say. None of them really talked about Don Imus or racism. They mostly spoke about what they were doing in school. One is a musical prodigy, one is - I think - studying to be a doctor. These are well rounded girls, true scholar-athletes, and I think Rutgers should be applauded for making sure to focus on the educational accomplishments of these young women.

I normally agree with most of what Colin says (I didn't get a lunch break today, so I missed this interview), but in this case I'll disagree with him.
www.myspace.com/the1947californiacupcakecompany

www.indianajoshandtheblogofdoom.blogspot.com

We all live in a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Post by MrSpall »

P.S. I will agree that Jackson and Sharpton are excepitionally douchebaggish (is that a word).
www.myspace.com/the1947californiacupcakecompany

www.indianajoshandtheblogofdoom.blogspot.com

We all live in a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

If Clark and Rutgers were so concerned about the players they would have shielded them from this and said "Don who?" They wouldn't be parading them out in front of cameras and such. They've gotten more attention from this than any women's basketball program ever has and they're taking full advantage of it. I watched the PBS documentary on Clark and the Rutgers program a couple of years ago, and I really have a lot of respect for her and what she has done to help a whole lot of young, intelligent, mostly poor, black women improve their lives, but in this instance I think she's wrong. I don't think she believes she's using them, but she is.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
poopstains
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by poopstains »

Al Sharpton is nothing but a poverty pimp/racial oppurtunist. He is a waste of space.
Sankofa
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Sankofa »

lbanks wrote:Ignore it, the next distraction is just around the corner. :D
Aero
Regular
Regular

Post by Aero »

Since when did Al Sharpton become THE representative of an entire race of people?
flapjacks
RockStar
RockStar

Post by flapjacks »

bassjones wrote:If Clark and Rutgers were so concerned about the players they would have shielded them from this and said "Don who?" They wouldn't be parading them out in front of cameras and such. They've gotten more attention from this than any women's basketball program ever has and they're taking full advantage of it. I watched the PBS documentary on Clark and the Rutgers program a couple of years ago, and I really have a lot of respect for her and what she has done to help a whole lot of young, intelligent, mostly poor, black women improve their lives, but in this instance I think she's wrong. I don't think she believes she's using them, but she is.
Their basketball game was televised, I don't think the players felt offended by that. Clark wanted them to be able to voice their opinions about the situation, which is what she should have done and what she did do.

and since this is a "news worthy" story the press is going to be there.

p.s. did anyone see Darrel Hammonds Imus impression? he nailed it!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4453/davidhasselhoff2gc.jpg[/img][/url]

David hasselhoff, a rocket of dissapointment