we need a KISS tribute show.

Talk about anything specifically related to local music. Local CD's, websites, local, local, local!

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

bwohlgemuth wrote:I would be a part of this, but only if the band sings in thick Japanese accents....

Ru Ranted the Best, Ru Got The Best.......KRRRIIISSSS.....
That would be f'ing hilarious.
GRAVE ROBBER
Regular
Regular

Post by GRAVE ROBBER »

some friends and are were talking about starting a Beatallica sort of thing. It would be a cross between The Misfits and Kiss.

Picture if you will: Kiss songs sung with a Danzig voice in the musical style of The Misfits called. . .

THE KISSFITS
Death, where is thy sting?
iammarky
Regular
Regular

Post by iammarky »

great idea!
"You know I'd give you everything I've got for a little peace of mind"
rezin
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal

Post by rezin »

i hate danzig.

but i would still go.
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
conley
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by conley »

KISS had as good of a run as any band in the history of music. They were huge & they had great riffs - they could play. They were solid for their first 6 or 7 years & just got stale after that. A lot of huge pop stars play music today because of KISS......In my opinion, they were every bit as influential to modern day music as Bob Dylan (I'm sure many of you will love that one).
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

In my opinion, they were every bit as influential to modern day music as Bob Dylan
I'm going to pretend I didn't read this.

And yes, I will pray for your soul as well.
Stop.Drop.Roll.
GRAVE ROBBER
Regular
Regular

Post by GRAVE ROBBER »

conley wrote:KISS had as good of a run as any band in the history of music. They were huge & they had great riffs - they could play. They were solid for their first 6 or 7 years & just got stale after that. A lot of huge pop stars play music today because of KISS......In my opinion, they were every bit as influential to modern day music as Bob Dylan (I'm sure many of you will love that one).
I agree with Conley.

The nay sayers have simply forgotten Kiss' impact on modern music.

Same with Nirvana.

I don't give a crap if you don't like Kiss, the point is they made more impact on pop culture and influenced more bands than any band that's out today will, bar none.

Dissing Kiss is like disregarding Elvis' place in music history. I'm not an Elvis fan, but I revere him as the American musical icon he is.

Anyone who thinks Kiss is simply a marketting machine needs to ask, "Hmm, How did they get to the point where they COULD market that way" MAYBE WITH COOL SONGS, GREAT SHOWS, DEDICATION TO THEIR AUDIENCE, AND LEGIONS OF DEVOTED FANS! I DUNNO. YA THINK THAT MIGHT BE WHY???

They only gave their fans what they wanted and that was a Kiss logo on. . . EVERYTHING!

(Wretched takes an unplanned veering of course)

Funny thing is no one seems to diss Johnny Cash with "CASH" plastered over everything possible in Nashville and elsewhere. Been a cash fan since I was 4 or 5, don't misunderstand. The only reason anyone cares about Cash is because of the short lived rockabilly "fad" that ran rampant in the late 90's with every shmoe who bought a can of pomade pissing all over Johnny's great songs. Not dissing Rockabilly, I like it. I hate the trendy "fad". I also give much credit to Social D. Thanks, Mr. Ness!

(Wretched digresses)

Again, I could care less whether you like Kiss. . . They are American musical icons and always will be. The trendy hip, cool "alternative" drivel that seems to be the darlings of the industry is forgotten after 2-3 years.

Guess what? WE ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT KISS!!!!

Kiss' first album came out in 1973. Let's see if we are talking about Chris Brown, Kanye West, and Buckcherry in 35 years! Let's see if they influence generations to come! BWAHAHA!!! What a joke.

Wretched

P.S. The three artists listed above came from America's Top 40 this week. These are very successful artists who. . . WILL BE FORGOTTEN.
Death, where is thy sting?
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

GRAVE ROBBER wrote:
conley wrote:The nay sayers have simply forgotten Kiss' impact on modern music. .
This naysayer was there, unlike the rest of you kiddos: I played KISS songs in my band back in 1972, and I know what their "impact" or "influence" was.

Which was and is zilch.

Inspiring a 14 year old who eventually becomes a rock star to pick up his first guitar is not "influence," a fact that every local scenester who finally gets their 15 minutes with Emma Downs would do well to remember ("Yeah, uh, my influences are KISS, Taking Back Sunday, Stravinsky, and my mom, even though you can't hear any of them in my playing").

What KISS inspired was the plunking down of bucks at record stores, nothing more. They blazed no trails, did nothing original, didn't even perform their pastiche of cheesy metal posturings very well, and if you had seen them live (I did), you'd know that they couldn't play, either. They were a heavy metal Hannah Montana, and they knew it.

We went for the blood spitting and stayed for the smoking guitar. KISS was conceived and executed as a Saturday morning cartoon, and that is how they are remembered, not as a musical force.

To compare a cynical marketing ploy with a true groundbreaking band like Nirvana is disingenuous. I can understand from the whole Grave Robber thing why you imagine KISS is cool. Yes, they're icons, but not musical ones, and they do not influence anyone... you have to give the real credit for the whole Theatre du Grand-Guignol rock show thing to Alice Cooper.
Last edited by Silencio on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Steel String Bender »

You've got to be sh**ing me! Do you really think this is the only reason anyone cares about Johnny Cash?
GRAVE ROBBER wrote:The only reason anyone cares about Cash is because of the short lived rockabilly "fad" that ran rampant in the late 90's with every shmoe who bought a can of pomade pissing all over Johnny's great songs.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Dagwood Lee wrote:
In my opinion, they were every bit as influential to modern day music as Bob Dylan
I'm going to pretend I didn't read this.

And yes, I will pray for your soul as well.
This post made me smile...

I stopped listening to KISS when I was 12. I still listen to Dylan - quite often. Nirvana was a force because they had something to say. Kiss made money by not saying anything at all of any importance whatsoever.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

When KISS hit in 73 I was young and and impressionable. I liked the KISS package and I bought into it with every LP, 8-track, poster and T-shirt

Radio music *then* was a whole different monster than it is now, and while still fairly uncomplicated, KISS' tunes weren't so kitchy as it seems now.

As the years passed I still dug KISS, and they continued to sell out stadiums and millions of albums.

But eventually my tastes matured. I no longer was amused by the KISS machine and its multiple regurgitations of the same product via HITS, ALIVE and the like.

KISS stagnated when, after losing Criss and Frehly, stripped off the costuming and make up and blew it with a string of crap. Lick It Up was the end as far as I was concerned and dissmissed them as a gameshow attraction

So, 25 years later us impressionable teens, now flush with our disposable income as adults are being sold the same bill of goods as KISS straps on the funhouse and sells us $200 concert tickets.

The Kiss I remember, with its raucous bar-band themes, anti-social Mom-and-Pop scaring visuals and a band clearly making its own way is the KISS that needs to be remembered.

This dried up caricature currently led by the money-pig douchebags of Simmons and Stanley can go suck it.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

"There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
conley
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by conley »

If someone has ever picked up a guitar because of a certain band, then that band was influential. I still believe that KISS was one of those few bands that influenced every-day kids to play guitar or sing. I also think that their music was actually underrated because of the over-the-top theatrics & the makeup........sure, it eventually turned into a bit of a circus driven money making machine, but the root of it all was cool......But, like I said before, the first several years were packed full of good tunes & good musicianship.
rezin

Post by rezin »

damn.

all you old men took the fun out of this.

awesome.

www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

rezin wrote:damn.

all you old men took the fun out of this.

awesome.

get off my lawn.