Live Recording Anyone?

Talk about anything specifically related to local music. Local CD's, websites, local, local, local!

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

creativesoundimagesdotcom
I Been Around
I Been Around

Live Recording Anyone?

Post by creativesoundimagesdotcom »

Hi,

Here is a tune that needs some explanation so posting it under the 'Music' heading wouldn't be the best place for it.

Here is a tune recorded December 22rd 2007 in Royal Oak Michigan for a band called Rhythm Corps. In the 90's they had a 2 record deal with CBS and like many bands they were great but the label didn't put any money behind them so they were eventually dropped. They do some live shows occasionally now and I was asked to record them.

Here is one track that is finished and thought you might like to listen to:

http://www.creativesoundimages.com/mp3/Sky.mp3

Of course there is nothing like recording a live show...the energy is great which most bands can't capture that when they go into a studio.

Hope you enjoy it!
Planning on Recording?
Call C.S.I.
260-693-3453
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I used to see them in Michigan quite a bit in the early 90's. that's pretty cool.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
I Been Around
I Been Around

Ha, no kidding! Yeah I think the band is/was great. To bad the label didn't market them better...getting signed in most cases sucks! Amazing how many people strive for that. You basically can slap 'employee' on your forehead once that happens. Well glad you liked the song. What did you think about the mix?

Thanks Brad.

Cary
Planning on Recording?
Call C.S.I.
260-693-3453
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

creativesoundimagesdotcom wrote:You basically can slap 'employee' on your forehead once that happens.
Yeah, how horrible... to be employed doing what you always dreamed of. Man, I hope that never happens to me...

Oh, wait, it already did.

For that recording, did you run your own mics, or did you create a submix off the FOH or the monitor console..?
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

employees would actually get paid...

I do like the mix. Sounds nice and full to my ears - for mp3 through computer speakers anyway :)
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
I Been Around
I Been Around

Hey,

I worked of a splitter snake directly into my system from the FOH mics and DI's.

BTW good luck with that deal...I sincerely hope it works out for you. The reason why I said what I did was this. I have friends that got a 2 record deal with a major label (not some small indie), worked hard at doing what they love also. But unfortunately when the odds are stacked against you, and mostly not at the bands doing, and you don't make a crap load of money it's more than challenging to get into a profession to make a decent living after all the years of your pursuit. Then with the 'deal' you basically lose control of your creativity, have to pay for some many things our of your own pocket such as videos, production costs, and payola money to get air play, the list goes on and on. Unfortunately there are an extremely small, small percentage that have that huge market appeal that make it really it big along with the big 'Quan' (lots-o-dough). We all see those isolated cases and think that will happen to us. Simply not the case.

Obviously no one should give up there dream however there are plenty of solid ways to make a very good living making music, keeping control of your creativity, generating a huge following all without the record deal machine...especially in todays internet world. This is one reason why the big labels are suffering so much, people are getting wise to them.

Just one man's opinion...

Take care!
Planning on Recording?
Call C.S.I.
260-693-3453
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Sorry for the confusion.... I'm not "signed..."

I am self-employed making music for advertising (jingles), songs for special events, scoring for TV and radio, some general audio production, sound design and Foley... I even have some clients I do VO for.

My point was that making a living by making music is work... signed, unsigned, doing jingles, orchestrating for film, whatever. You have to hustle, you have to dig the earth, and you have to love the entire process, not just "the show" or whatever gives you your big rush. "Artists" too often have this idea that they will work and work and then one day they will "make it:" which seems to mean that the train pulls in and then they are loved and rewarded for their talent, and all the bullsh*t falls away and they never have to deal with anything stupid or mundane ever again.

Obviously, that never happens for anybody. So getting signed is like getting hired... now you REALLY get to go to work. But you're working at something that most people never get to experience... bitching about how it isn't enough strikes me as unseemly. And you're right again about the big label: thinking that "getting a deal" and "being a rock star" is how it's done is a pretty dumb idea, especially with the market changing so fast. But if you actually signed a deal where you were expected to pay DJ's out of your own pocket, then you've got no one to blame but yourself.

I used to work with a creative director in an ad agency who encouraged us to take advantage of the fact that we could do our work in our heads: on a nice day, we'd go drive around town, go out to the park and throw a Frisbee while we tossed ideas back and forth. If you were driving someplace with John and saw a bunch of guys pouring asphalt, he'd always say, in the same joking tone, "Man... wouldn't it be terrible... if we... had to work... for a living?" Just a friendly reminder that while advertising is a real pain in the ass most days, we had it pretty damn good.

So, okay, I was being flip, but my only point is.....if you're making even six figures and doing nothing but writing and playing music, you are one lucky sumbitch. That's what I meant when I said, "oh, wait... it already did" happen to me.
I Been Around
I Been Around

Hey Silencio,

Totally know what you mean. I suppose if a band or musician really is on the ball and has a very, very good entertainment lawyer when a label approached them, then things could go quite well. But unfortunately most musicians are not that wise and thus taken advantage. Then once they realize what happened to them they are under contract and are stuck. Does anyone remember the local guy Henry Lee Summer? Once he got signed you NEVER heard of him again.

Some may view what I am saying as negative and some may as realistic...I am definitely the latter. Getting 'signed' is only one business model for bands out of many that are available now. If I were younger and in the now I would have pursued my musical career totally different then 15 - 20 years ago. And, I think most would be much wiser to take that route than the traditional model that most aspire to.

Take care.
Planning on Recording?
Call C.S.I.
260-693-3453