so is there even any all ages venues around here anymore?

Talk about anything specifically related to local music. Local CD's, websites, local, local, local!

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

deadindecatur
Regular
Regular

Post by deadindecatur »

yeah, it always is one person that screws it up for everyone.

and btw, ive heard about this sh*t that was taken in a venue somewhere.

what venue was it and when?
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/f###
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

More than once, more than one venue, but the most recent I know of was a Convolution Records show a couple of years back. She quit doing shows after that. C2G has had problems in the past with bands stating they'll comply with no profanity requests and then not actually complying once they play the show. Also, they don't have just one person that books shows there, which may be part of the problem. Sunny Taylor books the acoustic/singer-songwriter type stuff, Brad Etter books some stuff as well. I don't know who, if anybody is booking the heavier, rock stuff anymore. I know Shawn Browning used to, but he's working for a different church now and I don't think he's involved with C2G much anymore. I think they're moving away from that style of music at all, unless it's specifically Christian oriented because of problems they've had before.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Oliver's Army wrote:Yep, because that formula has worked so well.
Thanks for the thoughts Rezin but I meant this in all sincerity.

It seems there is a reoccurring theme. "There's nowhere to play, and this town sucks."

Heard *that* before?

So lets review where its failed.

Despite the DIY formula, no one is doing this. Maybe its naivete or some misguided sense of entitlement, but whatever it is, there ARE opportunities if you make them.

DeadinDecatur... Did you *actually* talk to C2G or the Firehouse? Yourself? What did they say? Are there objections that you can address?

Maybe, and hear me out...Maybe your music is not appealing enough to whomever *could* book you. You dig it, your friends dig it but the guy who can say "Yes" does not.

There have been many attempts to have all ages venues for decades and the one thing that kills EVERY one of them is cash.

Location, maintenance, heat, light, sound, utilities, insurance blah blah blah.

That sh*t ain't free.

SO WHAT DUDE?! LETS ROCK!!!! IT ISNT ABOUT THE MONEY... PHUCK THAT!!! ITS ABOUT MUSIC!!!

So this leads me to believe...

1. People have done ZERO homework. Find out where people play, suck it up, kiss someones ass, present yourself well and get a gig for yourself.

2. People think that they should play *just because". Because why? Because U RAWK? No thanks. Because you offered up a potential night that would put a buck or two in the bank to help keep the place alive? Maybe.

3. "PHUCK YOU". I cant help but get the feeling that this attitude permeates peoples approach and kills many potentials.

4. Do the gig yourself. Rent a place, rent the sound, hire the bands, promote the gig, hire security....do the math.

Hey this costs a lot of money!

DUDE, ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
Last edited by Oliver's Army on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Obviously, Ollie and I are on the same page here. If you can figure out how to play for people who can't legally drink and make a buck, then go for it. Otherwise, there's no point in complaining.

I will repeat what I have said since the 70s, when I was a young long-haired rocker with 100 tube watts and a Les Paul, when me and the LaBov Brothers and the Lanter brother and Tom Kintanar and everybody was hanging out at Music Manor and saying "this town sucks:"

Yeah... just like everyplace, it sucks if you do.
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

Oliver's Army wrote:
Oliver's Army wrote:Yep, because that formula has worked so well.
Thanks for the thoughts Rezin but I meant this in all sincerity.

It seems there is a reoccurring theme. "There's nowhere to play, and this town sucks."

Heard *that* before?

So lets review where its failed.

Despite the DIY formula, no one is doing this. Maybe its naivete or some misguided sense of entitlement, but whatever it is, there ARE opportunities if you make them.

DeadinDecatur... Did you *actually* talk to C2G or the Firehouse? Yourself? What did they say? Are there objections that you can address?

Maybe, and hear me out...Maybe your music is not appealing enough to whomever *could* book you. You dig it, your friends dig it but the guy who can say "Yes" does not.

There have been many attempts to have all ages venues for decades and the one thing that kills EVERY one of them is cash.

Location, maintenance, heat, light, sound, utilities, insurance blah blah blah.

That sh*t ain't free.

SO WHAT DUDE?! LETS ROCK!!!! IT ISNT ABOUT THE MONEY... PHUCK THAT!!! ITS ABOUT MUSIC!!!

So this leads me to believe...

1. People have done ZERO homework. Find out where people play, suck it up, kiss someones a#%, present yourself well and get a gig for yourself.

2. People think that they should play *just because". Because why? Because U RAWK? No thanks. Because you offered up a potential night that would put a buck or two in the bank to help keep the place alive? Maybe.

3. "PHUCK YOU". I cant help but get the feeling that this attitude permeates peoples approach and kills many potentials.

4. Do the gig yourself. Rent a place, rent the sound, hire the bands, promote the gig, hire security....do the math.

Hey this costs a lot of money!

DUDE, ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
All true...FWM has had many recurring discussions about what we could to to sustain something, but the math is never in our favor...it is about the MONEY...things do cost...

Chris
Big John
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Big John »

it's about the HUGE insurance that you have to pay to have shows.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Big John wrote:it's about the HUGE insurance that you have to pay to have shows.
Blame our suit happy society for that. My company won't insure xxxcore or rap concerts at all anymore. Why? We were losing too much money on claims. It's a business decision. People get shot, people get stabbed, people get trampled, people get hurt, we pay big $$ in claims.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-

www.bradjonesbass.com
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Aero
Regular
Regular

Post by Aero »

bassjones wrote:
Big John wrote:it's about the HUGE insurance that you have to pay to have shows.
Blame our suit happy society for that. My company won't insure xxxcore or rap concerts at all anymore. Why? We were losing too much money on claims. It's a business decision. People get shot, people get stabbed, people get trampled, people get hurt, we pay big $$ in claims.
I know this sounds lame, but could one avoid insurance costs by having everyone who attends the show sign a waiver stating that they will not hold the venue liable if they get hurt?
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Not since the courts began ruling that those waivers aren't enforceable and are against public good will.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
jschall84
Regular
Regular

Post by jschall84 »

i miss the back door...
Big John
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Big John »

I miss the beautys. they need to get back together or something.