punk scene??

Talk about anything specifically related to local music. Local CD's, websites, local, local, local!

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

Post by Massage...Bored »

Arkface wrote:if i didn't just eat oreos, i'd be really pissed.
Nice.
gemini6x3

Post by gemini6x3 »

i love punk, punk rocks good, i listen to punk like a good boy should

fiend for life
flapjacks
RockStar
RockStar

Post by flapjacks »

I don't love punk rock.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4453/davidhasselhoff2gc.jpg[/img][/url]

David hasselhoff, a rocket of dissapointment
RyanDollar

Post by RyanDollar »

I don't love david hasselhoff
"And life is too much like a pathless wood
Where your face burns and tickles with the cobwebs, Broken across it, and one eye is weeping, From a twig's having lashed across it open." Robert Frost
b-sharpsrawk

Post by b-sharpsrawk »

this city cares about the same old sh*t and whatever trend is sweeping the nation after it has already become hip, there could be a punk scene here but everyone who i know of that has ever tried top do anything themselves ends up gettin messed in one way or the other. you want a punk rock scene, throw a show. you wanna place to throw a show, leave fort wayne.

i dont wanna give up on my beloved hometown, but jesus christ is it hard to keep hope alive.
sztuk

Post by sztuk »

MrSpall wrote:Fact is, punk isn't a style you play - it's an attitude. Saying you're "punk" doesn't mean anything, because it's such a wide open genre. Ska often falls into this classification, but so do the Sex Pistols. The Ataris were once considered punk, but now they're mostly associated with emo - which is sometimes considered a subset of punk (though it's really just whiny music for 12 year old girls). Green Day used to be considered punk, but they just released a rock opera. Are they no longer punk, or was the rock opera thing so off the wall that it's the most punk thing they've ever done? Some people considered the Beastie Boys punk, especially when they first released "Liscensed to Ill", because what they were doing flew so in the face of mainstream rap at the time. Was Ice-T's group Body Count punk? An early 90's metal group fronted by a black rapper singing songs about killing cops? Sounds pretty punk to me. Then you have Me First and the Gimme Gimmes who defy classification even under all these sets, yet are undeniably punk.

If you want to play shows around here define your sound and find bands to play shows with. I know my first few shows involved opening for other bands then, once my foot was in the door, booking my own shows at those same venues. You've got to get out and network, find similar musicians, and work together.

If you need suggestions about bands that have been great to play and work with, PM me for info.
How the hell is ska punk? So Toots and the Maytals and Desmond Dekker are all punk now? I guess I have to recatagorize my music collection.
sztuk

Post by sztuk »

b-sharpsrawk wrote:this city cares about the same old sh*t and whatever trend is sweeping the nation after it has already become hip, there could be a punk scene here but everyone who i know of that has ever tried top do anything themselves ends up gettin f#cked in one way or the other. you want a punk rock scene, throw a show. you wanna place to throw a show, leave fort wayne.

i dont wanna give up on my beloved hometown, but jesus christ is it hard to keep hope alive.

Damnit you're too right, unfortunatly. Ft. Wayne is too bourgeois and synthetic. Some neighborhoods are fairly true but most of town and the surrounding area is all prefab houses holding prefab people wasting money at prefab shops and numbing themselves to prefab music and other enterainment. I guess I don't have to ask the question I was going to now, which was going to be about oi! and anyone being into a skinhead or mod scene. If we can't even define punk then I know that no one (still) cares about skinheads and rudies. Well, at least there's some good sh*t in Austin TX, which is near me now (well once I leave Iraq). I figure Indy's gotta be hard too, which is near where I'll be living when I'm out of the army next year. But damnit, I still love FT Wayne and hate seeing it so disgenuine. It pisses me off that the hardest people in town are the moulies and wiggers. White's need to grow some balls and stop being so forking dull and comfortable. Strap on some forking boots and braces.
sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

But damnit, I still love FT Wayne and hate seeing it so disgenuine.
I would say for every 'disgenuine' band there is a 'geniune' one. It's all about the motivation. A cover band is genuine if it's only trying to be a cover band.
If we can't even define punk then I know that no one (still) cares about skinheads and rudies.
Defining punk is like defining cubism. There's a simple definition and a complex definition. Most of the simple definitions of punk music are wrong; ergo there is a lot of confusion about the genre. But hell, if pressed I don't think anyone could give a 'correct' answer.
Well, at least there's some good sh*t in Austin TX, which is near me now (well once I leave Iraq).
Whew. It's a good thing Austin TX has no 'fake' bands. I would wager there are more there since it is now known as the HQ of the 'indie' scene.
I figure Indy's gotta be hard too, which is near where I'll be living when I'm out of the army next year.
You might want to check this out if you're going to be living down there:

http://indianapolismusic.net/index.php
It pisses me off that the hardest people in town are the moulies and wiggers. White's need to grow some balls and stop being so f*#king dull and comfortable. Strap on some f*#king boots and braces.
For a non-rascist skinhead you sure throw some epitaths around. :?
sztuk

Post by sztuk »

I didn't mean disgenuine BANDS, I meant disgenuine citizens in general. Ah f**k it, who cares. O and as far as my ideology, I go traditional skinhead--I love the music, I like the look, and I prefer the attitude. Yeah I'm not a Nazi skinhead but I sure the hell am no faggot SHARP or Red. I stick by my folk and I won't give appy polly loggies for one single slovo.
sztuk

Post by sztuk »

lol I wrote "f@ggot SHARP" and the forum edited to "homosexual" hahhaha!
Well I thought it was funny
sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

I didn't mean disgenuine BANDS, I meant disgenuine citizens in general.
Oh, sorry for the confusion. All I can say is 'Welcome to America' on the whole...that's the impression that I get.
phuc phace
Troll
Troll

Post by phuc phace »

why is it, with just a mention of the "P" word, it evokes such a reaction from people?(and by "P" word i mean punk, get yer mind outta the gutter- pun intended)
kendy
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by kendy »

theres been punk shows here forever. there's just not really a venue for it right now. hopefully that will change, but half the people giving opinions about the punk scene on this board have yet to be seen at a punk show. maybe not half, i havent been on this site in well over a year i think so i dont know or remember most, haha. punk never dies, it just takes a nap sometimes.
salvation or annihilation the choice is up to you and me. Genocide is now a threat but soon to be reality, it takes two sticks to create a spark, imagine the spark of millions, a million hands joined in love could save us from the killing.
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

Post by Massage...Bored »

kendy wrote: punk never dies, it just passes out from drinking rubbing alcohol and forgets where/who it is.
FIXED
stevel

Post by stevel »

I'm old, and my kids like loud and fast music but never call it punk.

They call it about a dozen different things, which is fine by me, although I think they give up on lots of stuff that doesn't have the proper label.

I would have to guess that a punk band, (or any band that really wanted to play,) would play wherever they could, even if they weren't highly desired by the assembled crowd. Certainly, some of the more memorable shows I've seen were performed by bands that were hated by most of the audience.

There are places to play here. Play them if you want to play.